• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

OK, it appears to be functioning correctly upon running fill tags a second time. Now, I am going back and customizing the category descriptions for each category per the instructions on the docs, but there is one area that is not explicit.

I would like to select category groups in the "Filter by Category" section and give them all the same category description (except for the ITEMNAME) but I don't see a radio button option for "Fill selected tags" in options at the bottom. Do I select Fill all tags, and trust that it will only fill the selected tags-or is what I'm trying to do impossible?

(I don't want to overwrite the category descriptions I've already customized manually)

Edited by akmac

Quidquid latine dictum sit, profundum viditur.

Disregard previous post- Fill all tags only fills the selected tags when only some categories are checked.

New question- Is there a way to keep slashes from appearing in the text? All my apostrophes/' look weird...

Hi Guys,

I've just installed the header tags contrib and it is fantastic!!

Just have a few little issues... when i do an update using the 'fill tags' it says it has updated but nothing shows on the site??

Also i have enables the contrib in Easy populate and uploaded nearly 1.9k of products, and when i check in the catalog> categories/descriptions in admin they have all been willed in fine,

but.....

Nothing still shows on the page?? if i edit a product in admin, preview then update (without changing anything) the check that product on the live site the info is there??!! :(

any idea what is causing this as i would presume as soon as its loaded into the database it will appear on the site

any help is appreciated....

thanks - Mark

Disregard previous post- Fill all tags only fills the selected tags when only some categories are checked.

New question- Is there a way to keep slashes from appearing in the text? All my apostrophes/' look weird...

Code is already in place to handle apostrophes. How are entering them?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Just have a few little issues... when i do an update using the 'fill tags' it says it has updated but nothing shows on the site??

After you run fill tags, the titles and meta tags should be filled in when you view the category or product edit page in admin. If not, there is something wrong with your installation. If so, maybe you haven't enabled the category and/or product checkbox on those pages in Page Control.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Code is already in place to handle apostrophes. How are entering them?

For example, I have the category Men's Rings. With subcategories of different types. If the apostrophe appears in the category name (ITEMNAME) it appears correctly, but when I write "Men's rings from Blah blah ship free to Elbonia", the slashes before the apostrophes appear in the category titles and category descriptions. I'm writing them manually in the fill tags "generic Override" section.

For example, I have the category Men's Rings. With subcategories of different types. If the apostrophe appears in the category name (ITEMNAME) it appears correctly, but when I write "Men's rings from Blah blah ship free to Elbonia", the slashes before the apostrophes appear in the category titles and category descriptions. I'm writing them manually in the fill tags "generic Override" section.

Please try this: In admin/header_tags_fill_tags.php, find

$set = BuildGenericString($set, $addComma, 'categories_htc_title_tag', $categories_tags['categories_name'], $_POST['add_generic_cat_title'], $_POST['generic_cat_title']);

and change it to

$set = BuildGenericString($set, $addComma, 'categories_htc_title_tag', $categories_tags['categories_name'], $_POST['add_generic_cat_title'], tep_db_prepare_input($_POST['generic_cat_title']));

That will only be for the category title. I haven't tested it but if it works, the other lines will need to be changed too.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

After you run fill tags, the titles and meta tags should be filled in when you view the category or product edit page in admin. If not, there is something wrong with your installation. If so, maybe you haven't enabled the category and/or product checkbox on those pages in Page Control.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, It was me :blush: ..... Once i uploaded the tags etc via EP i thought they would all appear on the pages in the right place...... i checked in the Header tags SEO> Page Control and the Default tags were all ticked and filled in, and i presumed that they would automaically fill the defaults on the pages unitl i got around to them, but they dont unless they are set to 'default' in the particaular page on the right....

I did think that once they were uploaded into the DB via EP they would automatially appear, but it appears that you still have to enter something in, in order for it to fill out the rest. E.G..the product name 'BABIES 1ST CHRISTMAS BAUBLES' was uploaded via EP but did not show in on the page title. once i entered 'Posh Kitty' into the product_info page name in admin and refreshed the store it was then shown as 'new products - Posh Kitty - BABIES 1ST CHRISTMAS BAUBLES'.

It was strange how before, if i updated a product in admin the page name would show up from the EP upload though but not all the products from the upload, as if it adds something SEO DB to say a tag is there, but this update is'nt forced to update via an EP upload....

I'm not sure if all info means anything, but i thought it may help in future development because if it caught me out it will have no oubt caught others who may not have said anything...

but as its all working now...its a fantastic app!!, it has saved me HOURS!!! of doing SEO on thousands of products :-)

cheers - Mark

Hello Jack,

Thanks for your great contribution. I was just wondering how to filter the paramter view_all in the canonical tag. I tried to add it here but it doesn't work :(.

Many thanks.

Greetings

// Canonical URL add-on
      if (tep_not_null($cPath) || (isset($_GET['manufacturers_id']) && $category_depth == 'top'))
      {
         $args = tep_get_all_get_params(array('action','currency', tep_session_name(),'sort','page','view_all'));
         $canonical_url = StripSID(tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $args, 'NONSSL', false) );
      }
      WriteCacheHeaderTags($header_tags_array, basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), $language, $id);

Thanks for your great contribution. I was just wondering how to filter the paramter view_all in the canonical tag. I tried to add it here but it doesn't work :(.

The canonical code has been changed in the next version and it may allow that to work. I will try to get it uploaded in the next few weeks.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Please try this: In admin/header_tags_fill_tags.php, find

$set = BuildGenericString($set, $addComma, 'categories_htc_title_tag', $categories_tags['categories_name'], $_POST['add_generic_cat_title'], $_POST['generic_cat_title']);

and change it to

$set = BuildGenericString($set, $addComma, 'categories_htc_title_tag', $categories_tags['categories_name'], $_POST['add_generic_cat_title'], tep_db_prepare_input($_POST['generic_cat_title']));

That will only be for the category title. I haven't tested it but if it works, the other lines will need to be changed too.

It works-Thanks! I've changed the other three lines accordingly. Slashes are now stripped correctly.

New question:

It doesn't appear that the generic override is replacing the category head tags, as I'm still getting the generic title, description and keywords tags in the categories I just tested. The text on the page is displaying correctly, but the meta tags are all still generic. Am I doing something incorrectly?

It works-Thanks! I've changed the other three lines accordingly. Slashes are now stripped correctly.

New question:

It doesn't appear that the generic override is replacing the category head tags, as I'm still getting the generic title, description and keywords tags in the categories I just tested. The text on the page is displaying correctly, but the meta tags are all still generic. Am I doing something incorrectly?

I don't understand. Your first response says it is working but the second says it isn't. Can you explain in more detail what the problem is?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I don't understand. Your first response says it is working but the second says it isn't. Can you explain in more detail what the problem is?

Apologies for the confusion. The portion that is now working is the slashes being stripped from the text. Also, the generic override in Admin/Fill Tags is correctly adding the category titles and descriptions to the category pages that the customers can see, but it is not "overriding" the Meta Tags for the same categories.

In other words, the title and description text on the category pages is appearing, but the title, description, and keywords meta tags for the category pages are remaining the default tags set in page control.

It's entirely possible that I'm misunderstanding the function of the mod-but I assumed that the category meta tags would be customizeable in Fill Tags/Generic Override. Is this correct?

Installed together with STS and a load of other contributions but noticed that HEADING_TITLE has disappeared off index.php.

The category name shows up fine when I go into categories but no HEADING_TITLE on the main page

Any advice please!!

In other words, the title and description text on the category pages is appearing, but the title, description, and keywords meta tags for the category pages are remaining the default tags set in page control.

It's entirely possible that I'm misunderstanding the function of the mod-but I assumed that the category meta tags would be customizeable in Fill Tags/Generic Override. Is this correct?

You have to set the checkbox in page control for index.php to display the category title and tags.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I installed - everything works well - except when the chosen language is not the default

example: http://nano4life.info/

default russian language - if you select Polish language - title and more not works - in database for Polish language title exists

How fix this problem - please help me

Run the test function and correct any lanugage related errors shown there.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Run the test function and correct any lanugage related errors shown there.

Test Results

Duplicate title found: explain

for Russian

Кружка "ХуаШен" для воды exists more than once.

for Polish

Kubek "HuaShen" dla wody exists more than once.

Płyta tarczowe do Mobile & Wireless exists more than once.

Duplicate meta description found: explain

for Russian

Кружка "ХуаШен" для воды exists more than once.

for Polish

Kubek "HuaShen" dla wody exists more than once.

Płyta tarczowe do Mobile & Wireless exists more than once.

languages in the Header Tags table are: 4 ( Polish ).

no (

If you go into page control do you have text entered for the different languages? Are the checkboxes checked for the different languages?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If you go into page control do you have text entered for the different languages? Are the checkboxes checked for the different languages?

on the page control

Select an Option = index.php

index.php - Russian

Product: [checked]10

root: [checked] 1

index.php - Polish

Product: [not selected] empty

root: [not selected] empty