• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I've just installed Header Tags SEO V 3.0.

I get the same error message on index or products_info.

Parse error: parse error in Q:\web\www\catalog\index.php on line 47

or

Parse error: parse error in Q:\web\www\catalog\product_info.php on line 32

<head>
?php
/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) 
{
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');
} else {
?>
 <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<?php
}
/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/
?>

the line of the last accolade is given as the error line

Hey Jack,

Maybe I don't quite understand the "new" concept of:

<title>

<meta name="Description" content="

<meta name="Keywords" content="

and the results of a Google search??? :blush:

I "thought" the title would show as the first line and be a clickable link, such as what I have on a product page -

<title>:: Hande's Hobbies :: - Revell 1932 Ford 3-Window Coupe</title>

The Description would show the actual description I entered when filling in the product details page, such as -

<meta name="Description" content="Builds a nicely detailed Custom Coupe - RMX/85-2024" />

And then the Keywords are actually what someone might type into the Google search box -

<meta name="Keywords" content="Revell, 1932, Ford, 3-Window, Coupe, RMX/85-2024, RMX-85-2024, RMX, 85-2024, 2024" />

So if I typed RMX/85-2024 into Google, the resulting display would look something like this -

:: Hande's Hobbies :: - Revell 1932 Ford 3-Window Coupe

Builds a nicely detailed Custom Coupe - RMX/85-2024

But instead this is what Google displays -

:: Hande's Hobbies :: - Revell

RMX/85-2024, $15.99, Add to Cart · Revell · 1932 Ford Hot Rod Big 3in1. Released: Sept 2007.

Scale: 1/8 Skill Level: 3. Builds a highly detailed Deuce, ...

Which is totally wrong. It is pointing to the Revell manufacturers list, displaying the correct model number and price (RMX/85-2024, $15.99) but the description of the item below it.

Months ago before I installed and used the contrib I would be listed on either of the first two pages in a Google search pointing to the product info page. Whether I searched for the model number or the product name. Now if I search for - "Revell 1932 Ford 3-Window Coupe" I don't even show up on the first 12 pages. I tested searching for a few of my items, all with similar or worst results.

My META tags have been filled in for months. Google just updated my site April 17, 2009 and doesn't report any such problems.

From within Googles webmaster tools if I go to Index stats and click on site:handeshobbies.com I get only 380 results. Some of the links display as I thought they would according to how I filled in the title and description tags, pointing to the correct product info page. Some point to the product info page but only displays the product image. But most are messed up as described above.

I'd really, really appreciate any help and guidance in fixing my problem. I've added the META tags info for hundreds of products and all now seems to be messed up. I was wondering why traffic to my site died down. That was a waste of a few days. :(

Oh, this seems strange. Google is still looking for links to products in my catalog folder although months ago I moved the site to the root. I had higher page rankings before I moved to root. Now my ranking is "Low"

Desperately in need of help! :o

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

I've just installed Header Tags SEO V 3.0.

I get the same error message on index or products_info.

Parse error: parse error in Q:\web\www\catalog\index.php on line 47

or

Parse error: parse error in Q:\web\www\catalog\product_info.php on line 32

the line of the last accolade is given as the error line

What the results of the test routine?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hey Jack,

Maybe I don't quite understand the "new" concept of:

<title>

<meta name="Description" content="

<meta name="Keywords" content="

and the results of a Google search??? :blush:

I "thought" the title would show as the first line and be a clickable link, such as what I have on a product page -

<title>:: Hande's Hobbies :: - Revell 1932 Ford 3-Window Coupe</title>

Oh, this seems strange. Google is still looking for links to products in my catalog folder although months ago I moved the site to the root. I had higher page rankings before I moved to root. Now my ranking is "Low"

Desperately in need of help! :o

You may be getting your contributions confused. The title Header Tags adds is the web browser title, which is never clickable and Header Tags has nothing to do with the location of products. So it sounds like you are talking about changes not related to Header Tags.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

You may be getting your contributions confused. The title Header Tags adds is the web browser title, which is never clickable and Header Tags has nothing to do with the location of products. So it sounds like you are talking about changes not related to Header Tags.

Jack

Let me try explaining again because I'm sure it is related to Header Tags SEO... :blush:

In admin panel for editing product information I had entered this (pic below) -

productinfometa.gif

When I checked at Google Webmaster Tools > Statistics > Index Stats > site:handeshobbies.com, I see this in the listing (pic below) -

googlesitehandeshobbies.gif

That's good, that's what I was shooting for.

But when I do an actual Google search for one of my keywords = RMX/85-2054, this is the results -

googlebadsearchf.gif

BAD... (2nd listing) Seems to be pulling the information that is listed in the short description on the product_listing page, not product_info page. The first listing is just totally messed up.

What's really confussing, this is the info on the product_info page -

<head>

<title>:: Hande's Hobbies :: - Revell 1987 Buick Grand National 2in1</title>

<meta name="Description" content="Build a detailed Stock or Hi Rise Donk version - RMX/85-2054" />

<meta name="Keywords" content="Revell, 1987, Buick, Grand National, RMX/85-2054, RMX-85-2054, 85-2054, 2054" />

Some product searches return worse Google results, at least the above is somewhat close.

What am I doing wrong? Am I adding the wrong information for the tags? Do I need to repeat the product listing short description into the product info description? Or is something just totally messed up?

Edited by jhande

What the results of the test routine?

Jack

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

04/19/09 13:16:52

Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) PHP/5.2.8

The url up top is

http://127.0.0.1/catalog/admin/FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_TEST

Dear Jack,

Thank you for your time.

I tried several times to fix the 'head tags seo' to my site systerm,but every time I got the note 'Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CLASS in /home/europees/public_html/womenfashionbags/includes/header_tags.php on line 178' when I tried to open any page,do you know why this happened?are there something wrong with the SQL database,Thank you very much for your help.

The 'header_tags.php' is the one in your last updated release.

Chris

What's really confussing, this is the info on the product_info page -

<head>

<title>:: Hande's Hobbies :: - Revell 1987 Buick Grand National 2in1</title>

<meta name="Description" content="Build a detailed Stock or Hi Rise Donk version - RMX/85-2054" />

<meta name="Keywords" content="Revell, 1987, Buick, Grand National, RMX/85-2054, RMX-85-2054, 85-2054, 2054" />

Some product searches return worse Google results, at least the above is somewhat close.

What am I doing wrong? Am I adding the wrong information for the tags? Do I need to repeat the product listing short description into the product info description? Or is something just totally messed up?

The title for the page appears correct, assuming you meant to add ":: Hande's Hobbies ::." If not, then you need to check the checkbox settings for product_info in page control. Try unchecking everything except product and see if the title is displayed as you want.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

04/19/09 13:16:52

Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) PHP/5.2.8

The url up top is

http://127.0.0.1/catalog/admin/FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_TEST

You've missed a step in the installation procedure. Try searching the instructions for FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_TEST and check that step.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The title for the page appears correct, assuming you meant to add ":: Hande's Hobbies ::." If not, then you need to check the checkbox settings for product_info in page control. Try unchecking everything except product and see if the title is displayed as you want.

Jack

Thanks for the reply Jack ;)

The title is actually correct, that's what I was going for.

What I don't understand is how Google is displaying my search queries.

My descriptions are not shown as I entered them on the product info pages.

Using some keywords, such as the product model number (example = RMX/85-2054) doesn't find the product_info page in the Google results, but instead points to the product listing page with the wrong description.

Am I entering the wrong information on the product info pages for the tags?

I didn't think so because when viewing the results of my site at Googles Webtools, the information I entered is displayed as I hoped for.

:blink:

Thanks for the reply Jack ;)

The title is actually correct, that's what I was going for.

What I don't understand is how Google is displaying my search queries.

My descriptions are not shown as I entered them on the product info pages.

Using some keywords, such as the product model number (example = RMX/85-2054) doesn't find the product_info page in the Google results, but instead points to the product listing page with the wrong description.

Am I entering the wrong information on the product info pages for the tags?

I didn't think so because when viewing the results of my site at Googles Webtools, the information I entered is displayed as I hoped for.

:blink:

You can't control what the search engines display. MSN and Yahoo will generally use the description from the site but google will make up their own from the text on the page. If the text on the page supports the meta description and keywrods, they are more likely to use the supplied description but they might not too.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You can't control what the search engines display. MSN and Yahoo will generally use the description from the site but google will make up their own from the text on the page. If the text on the page supports the meta description and keywrods, they are more likely to use the supplied description but they might not too.

Jack

Hi Jack,

I have a shop wherein I would like to add some form of better link discription to the product pages. I really do like you contribution and as you will see on my site I do make good use of it. However is it at all possible to change the following site url to something better:

http://comfyearplugs.com/product_info.php?...;products_id=54

Thanks and regards. Barry

I have built an online store solely with the help of this forum.

Jack

Thank you Jack for clearing that up.

I was going crazy wondering why my entered information wasn't getting displayed. Thought something was wrong with my install or me. :blush:

Thanks again, I appreciate the help. ;)

Jack

I found this interesting after digging around some more at Google Webmaster Central:

Why does Google care about meta descriptions?

We want snippets to accurately represent the web result. We frequently prefer to display meta descriptions of pages (when available) because it gives users a clear idea of the URL's content. This directs them to good results faster and reduces the click-and-backtrack behavior that frustrates visitors and inflates web traffic metrics. Keep in mind that meta descriptions comprised of long strings of keywords don't achieve this goal and are less likely to be displayed in place of a regular, non-meta description, snippet. And it's worth noting that while accurate meta descriptions can improve clickthrough, they won't affect your ranking within search results.

... and more!

Definately an interesting read - Click here.

hi

first of all, thank you for this great contribution. i implemented some of its functionality myself in my shop but it never worked as good as yours. no wonder, have only very basic php coding knowledge. i keep trying though, and i stumbled across a problem, i can't fix myself:

most of my products are assigned to two or three categories. i'd like to have them all in the meta tags. e.g. if a product is filed under "ambient" and "dub", then show both keywords and not just "ambient". i know that osc by default only returns one category but i was wondering if that could be changed for the tags. it would certainly make sense.

thanks for your help.

roberto

hi

first of all, thank you for this great contribution. i implemented some of its functionality myself in my shop but it never worked as good as yours. no wonder, have only very basic php coding knowledge. i keep trying though, and i stumbled across a problem, i can't fix myself:

most of my products are assigned to two or three categories. i'd like to have them all in the meta tags. e.g. if a product is filed under "ambient" and "dub", then show both keywords and not just "ambient". i know that osc by default only returns one category but i was wondering if that could be changed for the tags. it would certainly make sense.

thanks for your help.

roberto

Others have mentioned wanting to include the full path of categories and that is already planned for the next update. I'll add another option to include duplicate categories too.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

HI,

Thank you for this great contrib!

I would like to have displayed The Title on my product_info page like this:

Product Name - Product Category - Default Title

Currently is: Category - Manufacturer - Product Name.

The problem is that I don't know how to setup the product name to be the first.

If somebody can help me pls.

Thanks in advance!

HI,

Thank you for this great contrib!

I would like to have displayed The Title on my product_info page like this:

Product Name - Product Category - Default Title

Currently is: Category - Manufacturer - Product Name.

The problem is that I don't know how to setup the product name to be the first.

If somebody can help me pls.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I found alone the solution reading how to use the sort order.

But I still have a problem: if I don't want to have manufacturer and/or category name in title (on product page) how can I take it off? I tried to deactivate them but still apear in title. The only thing I can do is to set the order and put them after the Product Name. The idea is that I would like to have in TITLE only the product name (first) and, eventually, default title (second).

Thanks!

The sort order is completely configurable via the checkboxes in Page Control. You may have the default included. If so, uncheck that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded that has the following changes:

-> Added a category list in fill tags so the fill option can be performed on specific categories.

-> Added option to test function to only show limit messages if asked since this was causing too much confusion.

-> Added option to admin->Configuration->Header Tags SEO that allows the parent category names to be included in the title and meta tags.

-> Removed the language files, except English, from admin since they were not translated and served no purpose.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded that has the following changes:

-> Added a category list in fill tags so the fill option can be performed on specific categories.

-> Added option to test function to only show limit messages if asked since this was causing too much confusion.

-> Added option to admin->Configuration->Header Tags SEO that allows the parent category names to be included in the title and meta tags.

-> Removed the language files, except English, from admin since they were not translated and served no purpose.

Jack

Thanks Jack for the update!

A small problem though. After updating, the product info page now has the text 'path Standard' or whatever option is selected in admin echoed to the screen. Looking at the page source it's inserted before the meta title. Turning off Categories removes it, but obviously this also disables it completely.

Edited by stevea1234

Oops. In includes/functions/header_tags.php, find and remove this line

echo 'path '.HEADER_TAGS_ADD_CATEGORY_PARENTS;

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

thanks for this upgrade jack. :)

one small problem: the duplicate categories setting works for description and title tags but not for keywords. only one category is shown, followed by a comma. there it ends.

<title>Burning Babylon - Knives To The Treble : Mars Records : New Releases : Dub : Sofasound</title>
<meta name="Description" content="Created by Slade Anderson, the heavyweight riddims of Burning Babylons sound are firmly anchored in the 1970s Jamaican roots tradition, but with an ear for the neo dub stylings of the present day. : Mars Records : New Releases : Dub" />
<meta name="Keywords" content="Burning Babylon, Knives To The Treble , Mars Records , New Releases ," />

Edited by ajundra