• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs,

I installed Header Tags SEO v.3.0.8 a few months ago and really like it. I noticed today that you are up to version 3.1.2.

My question is: I want to upgrade to version 3.1.2, so do I have to go and download and install each successive version (ie: 3.0.9, 3.1.0,3.1.1) before I install 3.1.2? Or is there a simpler way to upgrade directly to 3.1.2? I don't want to miss a step or some file(s). In your update docs you have the progression to update for each new version successively, but none that shows how to upgrade a with a past (non- successive) version, if you know what I mean. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Ken

No, there's no direct upgrade path. For the most part, you can replace all of the files in the included catalog directory and then run any database changes but you would have to go through each one to find the database changes. Plus, there may have been other, non-Header Tags, file edits, as in this last version, so the best approach would be to go through them all.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Printscreen%20Header%20Tags%20SEO.jpg

Hi Jack,

In English I have only "Select a File, Show all files and Add Missing Pages. Add missing pages gives no result.

In German I have: index, product_info, product_reviews, product reviews_write and specials.

See printscreen

Thanks in advance

Rene

You have boxes checked in the default section for English, which is where the text for the english files are coming from, but there are not any checked for German, which is the reason none is displayed. You should check the approriate boxes and enter text for the index.php section so that the default is overridden.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Is it at all possible with header tag seo to have the page title different to the product title. At the moment the H1 tag is the same as the info that appears in the browser and I thought it would be beneficial for it to be different.

Thanks and regards. Barry.

I have built an online store solely with the help of this forum.

Hey Jack,

Just one quick questions. Everything works fine now, but the categories aren't showing the header tags, although they're in the database, and they show on the admin side too. I added the code to index.php, product_info.php, reviews.php and a few others, but I am not sure where to add the code so that it shows on each category.

Please let me know what am I missing here...

Thanks!

Yol

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

--King Crimson (“Discipline”)

Is it at all possible with header tag seo to have the page title different to the product title. At the moment the H1 tag is the same as the info that appears in the browser and I thought it would be beneficial for it to be different.

Thanks and regards. Barry.

No, they should match or, at least, the product nam should match. You can edit the code for the page heading in product_info.php to change that if you want though.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hey Jack,

Just one quick questions. Everything works fine now, but the categories aren't showing the header tags, although they're in the database, and they show on the admin side too. I added the code to index.php, product_info.php, reviews.php and a few others, but I am not sure where to add the code so that it shows on each category.

Please let me know what am I missing here...

Thanks!

Yol

As mentioned many times in this thread, that is usually a problem with the index.php changes. There's an index.php file included with the contribution you can use for testing.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

As mentioned many times in this thread, that is usually a problem with the index.php changes. There's an index.php file included with the contribution you can use for testing.

Jack

I compared the new index.php file to my index.php and they are identical. I uploaded the new one, just in case, for testing, but the problem persists: the category tags from the database do not show, only the default tags, even though the category titles do show on the pages correctly.

You can see it here: http://ayurvedayogashop.com/ayurvedic-products-c-22.html

If you click on any other category you'll see what I'm talking about.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

My guess is that you have the default boxes set in Page Control and not the ones for index.php (see previous post regarding this).

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

My guess is that you have the default boxes set in Page Control and not the ones for index.php (see previous post regarding this).

Jack

My mistake there... The categories actually show the same tags as index.php, not the default.

How do I fix the categories tags not showing?

Jack-

Big fan, thanks for the contribution!

Quick question-- after installing 3.1.2, I checked for the canonical link and it appears, but the session id is in the link. If I have "Prevent Spider Sessions" set to true, I am guessing that googlebot and other spiders will not have a session id in the link. Is that how it works?

Thanks!

Hi,

I've had this up and running for a while and all has been good, however, something has gone wrong. The problem is, this is not a huge failure so it may have been going on for a while which means I cannot go to back up to fix it. The issue is that the system doesn't seem to be saving my header tag info. When I'm adding a new product, the option is available for the title, description and keywords which I fill in, but having just gone back in to edit something I've discovered that they are vanishing.

I've had a look through my site and some older products have the title in the breadcrumb trail, so it is only happening with new products that I'm adding so it is probably a new add on blocking the info from being saved. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Hi,

I've had this up and running for a while and all has been good, however, something has gone wrong. The problem is, this is not a huge failure so it may have been going on for a while which means I cannot go to back up to fix it. The issue is that the system doesn't seem to be saving my header tag info. When I'm adding a new product, the option is available for the title, description and keywords which I fill in, but having just gone back in to edit something I've discovered that they are vanishing.

I've had a look through my site and some older products have the title in the breadcrumb trail, so it is only happening with new products that I'm adding so it is probably a new add on blocking the info from being saved. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Having done a bit of detective work, I've established that this has happened due to either the Google Base or (I think more likely) Individual Product Shipping add-ons. Are there any known issues with these add-ons clashing?

My mistake there... The categories actually show the same tags as index.php, not the default.

How do I fix the categories tags not showing?

If you followed the reply I mentioned previously and it still isn't working, please provide an image as asked for previosuly so I can see the settings.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack-

Big fan, thanks for the contribution!

Quick question-- after installing 3.1.2, I checked for the canonical link and it appears, but the session id is in the link. If I have "Prevent Spider Sessions" set to true, I am guessing that googlebot and other spiders will not have a session id in the link. Is that how it works?

Thanks!

Yes, that's correct.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Having done a bit of detective work, I've established that this has happened due to either the Google Base or (I think more likely) Individual Product Shipping add-ons. Are there any known issues with these add-ons clashing?

No, not as long as they are all installed properly. If the problem is that the fields are not being saved when editing a product in admin, then the cause is in the admin/categories.php file. You can use the included one to troubleshoot the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No, not as long as they are all installed properly. If the problem is that the fields are not being saved when editing a product in admin, then the cause is in the admin/categories.php file. You can use the included one to troubleshoot the problem.

Jack

Thought I'd sorted it for a minute, but completely broke it instead =-/ Looking at my categories.php it may actually be some kind of clash with the categories image box.

Just gone to the utility for header tags in admin and have the following error at the top of the page:

Failed to open file: /*/local/home/*/mydomain.com/catalog/log.php

log.php does exist but is empty

If you followed the reply I mentioned previously and it still isn't working, please provide an image as asked for previosuly so I can see the settings.

Jack

Ok, I think I have it working now. Thanks! Now, just one quick question, is there a way to have: category name >> product name in the breadcrumb, as opposed to: category header tag >> product header tag? Mine look too long on the nav bar (awkward).

Thanks again for all your help and answering all my dumb questions! I love this contribution.

Yol

Thought I'd sorted it for a minute, but completely broke it instead =-/ Looking at my categories.php it may actually be some kind of clash with the categories image box.

Just gone to the utility for header tags in admin and have the following error at the top of the page:

Failed to open file: /*/local/home/*/mydomain.com/catalog/log.php

log.php does exist but is empty

That doesn't have anything to do with Header Tags, unless a mistake was made with the edit. Upload the included one, make sure it works and make your edits to it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok, I think I have it working now. Thanks! Now, just one quick question, is there a way to have: category name >> product name in the breadcrumb, as opposed to: category header tag >> product header tag? Mine look too long on the nav bar (awkward).

Thanks again for all your help and answering all my dumb questions! I love this contribution.

Yol

Remove the changes made to the includes/application_top.php file (replace with the original code) and it should do what you want.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That doesn't have anything to do with Header Tags, unless a mistake was made with the edit. Upload the included one, make sure it works and make your edits to it.

Jack

Ok, will see what I can do. Cheers Jack.

Remove the changes made to the includes/application_top.php file (replace with the original code) and it should do what you want.

Jack

Thanks, but the original code lists also the product model, and I was hoping to be able to keep the product name only. Any possible changes to your code, by any chance?

Thank you!

Edited by jailaxmi

Thanks, but the original code lists also the product model, and I was hoping to be able to keep the product name only. Any possible changes to your code, by any chance?

Thank you!

Ok, I changed the add model to the breadcrumb trail section to:

// add the products name to the breadcrumb trail

if (isset($_GET['products_id'])) {

$products_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_name from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_id = '" . (int)$_GET['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id ='" . (int)$languages_id . "' LIMIT 1");

if (tep_db_num_rows($products_query)) {

$products = tep_db_fetch_array($products_query);

$breadcrumb->add($products['products_name'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&products_id=' . $_GET['products_id']));

}

}

Hope this is fine. I am not a coder, but it seems to be working...

Is there any way i can remove the store name from category, manufacturer and product titles?

The store name isn't added by Header Tags. It must be added due to how your categories, manufacturers and products were setup originally.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Greg (Phocea) and everybody.

I have a pair of questions to do, and I wish to be replied as soon as possible.

1) Header Tags v3.1.2 ms2 has already incorporated a modification within its code in order to support Canonical URLs. My question: with this little change, has already included all the Ultimate SEO URL features? In other words: installing Header Tags v3.1.2 ms2, have I also URL Rewriting automatically?

2) Otherwise, if it's not the case, Header Tags v3.1.2 ms2 and Ultimate SEO URL could be used together?

Again, write me ASAP.

Best regards

Matias

Hello,

I would like to propose the following changes to introduce canonical url link into header_tags, to help reduce the duplicate_content problems.

Changes need to take place in includes/header_tags.php as follow:

After

case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_DEFAULT) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_DEFAULT)):

Add

// Canonical URL add-on
$canonical_url = tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath='.$current_category_id);

After

default: $filename = FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO;
}

Add

// Canonical URL add-on
if ($_GET['products_id'] != '') {
	$canonical_url = tep_href_link($filename, 'products_id='.$_GET['products_id']);
}

After

case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_SPECIALS) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_SPECIALS)):

Add

// Canonical URL add-on
  	$canonical_url = tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS);

After

$header_tags_array['keywords'] = tep_db_prepare_input($defaultTags['default_keywords']);

Add

$canonical_url = tep_href_link($PHP_SELF);

Before

echo '<!-- EOF: Header Tags SEO Generated Meta Tags -->' . "\n";

Add

if ($canonical_url !='') echo ' <link rel="canonical" href="'.$canonical_url.'" />'. "\n";

Obviously similar changes will need to be done for any special pages you may have using parameters.

Since i do not know if Jack_mcs has another version in the work I prefer to post this add-on here for the time being, for open discussion.

Edited by hoopstats