• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

After installation of Header Tags Controller 2.6.2 up to Header tags SEO 3.0.9 I ran in a problem with the category pages.

Title, Description and Keywords, have become are overwritten bij the index page.

I have checked the forum and I am wondering whether the reason for this problem could be with the previously installed Ultimate SEO URLs.

I have installed version 2.2.2. by Chemo.

As an expamlpe: Ultimate SEO converts cordyceps-sinensis-c-21.html?osCsid=56dd8746a1c97e1ff3567b45fe439c52

to www.xxxxxxx.com/cordyceps-sinensis-c-21.html

Therfore it is not possible to set up Pseude Pages for the category articles.

My questions: Does the problem have anything to do with the combination Header Tags 3.0.9 and Ultimate SEO 2.2.2?

If so, could I solve this by upgrading Ultimate Seo 2.2.2. ?

If so, to what version. I have seen that there are number of versions available.

I hope that you can and will help me.

Thanks in advance

Rene

Hi Jack. I was wondering if you were still maintaining and providing support for your Header Tags SEO contribution for osCommerce.

We're using osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2a, and I'm having a difficult time deciphering the instructions for it. Rather than wading through the 113 pages in this thread, .. I'm hoping that maybe you could help me by maybe answering a few questions:

1) Do I still need to run the "headertags_seo_update.sql" sql script (or run the "headertags_seo_install.php" script) for my osCommerce version -- considering that this is a first-time attempt at an installation of the contribution? (I am not upgrading from a previous version)

2) Do I need to install any patches for my particular version of osCommerce, and if so, .. which patches do I need to install?

2) What are "STS" and "BTS" users? How can I determine if I'm running either of those osCommerce versions?

3) Am I supposed to copy all of the files within the "catalog_for_new_shop_only_RC2" folder into the "catalog" folder of my osCommerce store, ... and will that overwrite any of the existing files? --- Or -- do the files inside the "catalog_for_new_shop_only_RC2" folder already contain all of the code revisions that are outlined in your instructions? In other words -- do I NOT have to apply any of the code revisions you've outlined if I allow my existing files to be overwritten with your updated files?

Thanks!

- Yvan

This was handled in private but for the benefit of others:

1 - They perform the same function, just in a different way. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with and use it. But only do one.

2 - STS and BTS are contributions that allow for editing how a site looks. If you have STS installed, there will be a directory named sts_templates in the includes directory. If you have BTS installed, there will be a directory named templates in the root directory.

3 - For a shop that has not been changed, those files can be uploaded. They contain some of the necessary changes, but not all. You will still need to read the instructions for the other files.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

After installation of Header Tags Controller 2.6.2 up to Header tags SEO 3.0.9 I ran in a problem with the category pages.

Title, Description and Keywords, have become are overwritten bij the index page.

I have checked the forum and I am wondering whether the reason for this problem could be with the previously installed Ultimate SEO URLs.

I have installed version 2.2.2. by Chemo.

As an expamlpe: Ultimate SEO converts cordyceps-sinensis-c-21.html?osCsid=56dd8746a1c97e1ff3567b45fe439c52

to www.xxxxxxx.com/cordyceps-sinensis-c-21.html

Therfore it is not possible to set up Pseude Pages for the category articles.

My questions: Does the problem have anything to do with the combination Header Tags 3.0.9 and Ultimate SEO 2.2.2?

If so, could I solve this by upgrading Ultimate Seo 2.2.2. ?

If so, to what version. I have seen that there are number of versions available.

I hope that you can and will help me.

Thanks in advance

Rene

I don't understand what the problem is but Header Tags will work with Ultimate SEO (any version of each). The category pages are not pseudo pages. They are part of the index.php page so you need to use it to apply the changes by Header Tags.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I don't understand what the problem is but Header Tags will work with Ultimate SEO (any version of each). The category pages are not pseudo pages. They are part of the index.php page so you need to use it to apply the changes by Header Tags.

Jack

Thank you for your reaction Jack.

My problem as far as I can see it that I have a number of different category pages containing different product.

For each page I had seperate titles, keywords and descriptions in header tags header tags controller.

In Header Tags SEO the index page has overrulled the separate titles, keywords and descriptions.

Is there a way to get the separate meta tags back?

If so, could you please explain how

Thanks

Rene

My problem as far as I can see it that I have a number of different category pages containing different product.

For each page I had seperate titles, keywords and descriptions in header tags header tags controller.

In Header Tags SEO the index page has overrulled the separate titles, keywords and descriptions.

Thanks

Rene

Ran into a problem with my latest install. Was filling the the tags and received this error:

1054 - Unknown column 'categories_htc_title_tag' in 'field list'

update products_description set categories_htc_title_tag="The Rock Inspired Designs: Special Requests", categories_htc_keywords_tag="Special Requests" where products_id = '28' and language_id='1'

[TEP STOP]

I've double checked the admin/categories.php using WinMerge, and I know I have everything copied over.

Additionally, the title tag on the Products Page is listed has "Products New Home" displayed with the other correct default information - for instance: The Rock Inspired Designs: Pendants - Products New Home. It's filling in the correct meta information in the product listing, just not on the site.

Thanks

Rene

From the sounds of it, I would say no. When upgrading, if you used the upgrade procedure, it would not have replaced the tags for the products, assuming you didn't re-run Fill Tags. But once ran, there isn't anyway to recover them short of re-installing the old database or grabbing the Header Tags parts from it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I figured out my second question - but not my first. I still get the error when attempting to fill all tags in categories.
The first error means the database entry for Header Tags is missing. If this is a new install, upload and run the headertags_seo_uninstall.php and headertags_seo_install.php files (in that order). That should clear up any problems with the database with regards to Header Tags.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It's a new install of this contrib, but I do have other contributions loaded.

I did receive the successful message when I used the php install page on the site, and I don't receive any error messages when I run the test. Is there a way to just add the missing field then - or to double check that the field is really missing?

Odd thing is the rest of it runs perfectly. And the category tags do fill when I run the fill tags...it just displays that error at the end instead of displaying the fill tags page again.

Edited by akansan

From the sounds of it, I would say no. When upgrading, if you used the upgrade procedure, it would not have replaced the tags for the products, assuming you didn't re-run Fill Tags. But once ran, there isn't anyway to recover them short of re-installing the old database or grabbing the Header Tags parts from it.

Jack

Thank you Jack,

I hope you don´t mind if I ask you the following.

I have managed to recover the original mySql PHP 4 categories descriptions from a back up.

For categories the "Skip All Tags" button on the fill tags page is blue. I have not touched any of the fill tags buttons.

When I check a category article source page I only find the title, description and keywords from the index page ie:

<title>Renevit Voedingssupplementen Natuurlijk Beter</title>

<meta name="Description" content="Wij leveren onze voedingssupplementen generiek. Dus geen luxe namen geen dure verpakking. Dus Voordelig" />

<meta name="Keywords" content="Panax Ginseng Cordyceps Sinensis Druivenpit Greep Seed Glucosamine Glucosaminesulfaat Chondroitine Paard Hond Groene Thee Maca Lepidium Omega 3 6 Rhodiola Rosea Schisandra Siberische Ginseng Eleuthero Soja Isoflavonen Solardex Maltodextrine Solarsin Vit" />

As These texts originate from the index page the source pages for all other category article pages have the same above text.

If it is at all possible please explain how to get the data from the mySql database to the respective category pages and in the respective source pages.

Thanks in advance

Rene

Hmm - the only contributions I had installed prior to this one were Featured Products v1.6.3, Ultimate SEO URLs v2.6, and Additional Images v2.1.0. None of those really mess with categories as far as I could tell. The only instance of overlapping code was with Additional Images, and I just had to grab the additional product information and merge the two.

As These texts originate from the index page the source pages for all other category article pages have the same above text.

What's a "category article page?"

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

What's a "category article page?"

Jack

I am not very clear so I refraise my question.

In admin/categories/products I have about 30 different categories.

http://www.xxxxx.com/admin/categories.php?...ted_box=catalog.

When in the home page click on a category, the next page shows a product(article)

Looking at the source of the product (article) I see the titles, keywords and descriptions from the index page.

The other +/- 30 categories all have the same tags from the index page

In Header Tags Controller 2.2.2 from Chemo I had different tags for every categorie/product.

I have restored the database with the original tags from the old Header Tags Controller and was hoping that

the old tags would re-appear on the source of the categorie/product page instead of the indax-page tags.

The question is: How can I make the old titles, keywords and descriptions that I restored in the categories_description of

the mysql database overrule the tags from the index page?

Thanks in advance

Rene

The tags for categories are loaded from the same place in the database for both Header Tags contributions. So if you have loaded the old table, they should appear.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The tags for categories are loaded from the same place in the database for both Header Tags contributions. So if you have loaded the old table, they should appear.

Jack

Hi Jack,

I have painstackenly checked and recheckt the installation. Found no mistakes.

Still no showing of the old table.

I found one remark however in the HEADERTAGS TABLE of the mySQL 4.1 database.

It says something like (translation):PRIMARY AND INDEX KEYS SHOULD NOT BOTH BE VALID

FOR THE COLUM PAGE_NAME

Could that be the culprit?

Thanks in advcance for your help

Rene

The problem you are having, as I understand it, is with the Header Tags columns in the categories table. Those entries haven't changed since HTC so if they are the same, they should display. If not, the problem is in the code.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It means you didn't install the changes in the head section of those files as explained in the installation file.

Jack

Hello Jack,

thank you for the answer, i did modifications on files and i havn't more problems with theses files (test ok).

Now i have another problem:

I fill tags for title, description and keywords, then i clic preview, when i go back all the tags field are empty....

i'm not sure that it works??

For information i use ACA and TinyMCE too...

When i want to use advanced text editor for description i have the same matter than tags: all is empty when i go back (and the description isn't in advanced text)...

but tinyMCE appear to works: i can change pictures, with the title.......

I don't know if this problem comes from Tiny, ACA, or Header Tags Seo... for me the more important is that Header Tags Seo works (for search engine....).

Maybe you have an idear about this problem ?

Regards.

ACA requires an addon for to work with a cotnribution and one has not been written for this contribution, as far as I know, so that is probably the problem. Header Tags SEO works fine with TinyMCE. The code for it is even included in the files in the package.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack another excellent contribution thanks!

I've just upgraded from HTC 2.6.2 to the new SEO v3.1.0 and have a quick question please.

Everything is working great and the manufacturer and category names are being added to the meta tags but is there a way to add the long text for the "descriptions" to the meta tags as well?

A new version has been uploaded with the following changes:

-> Fixed mistakes in the update sql files.

-> Fixed mistakes in mouseover text in social module.

-> Fixed problem where the root name was not being removed for manufacturers.

-> Fixed error with Fill Tags where overrides from the manufacturers section was affecting the products section as reported by Jeff Genno in post 1922.

-> Added code to correctly handle title and meta tags when using STS. Thanks to user jerico for the suggestion.

-> Added code to check for invalid file names (containing spaces) which some sites use for storage. If found, the page is skipped and a warning is issued.

-> Changed code in includes/header_tags.php file to more accurately check for the page.

-> Optimized manufacturers query in Fill Tags. Thanks to user mirol for the suggestion.

-> Test page - added option to check if the default root text has not been removed.

-> Test page - temporairly disabled STS check since the code was changed for it.

I've received several code fixes for handling the code in the event where the tags are empty. I've been aware of this from the beginning and the code was not added to account for that since it will, in my opinion, hide a fatal problem. The idea of the contribution is control the titles and tags. If it is not setup correctly and code is added to adjust for that, the shop owner may not be aware of it and never fix the problem, thus defeating, or greatly reducing, the benefit of the contribution. Besides, the simple fix is to run Fill Tags, which is part of the installation procedure. So, while I appreciate the suggestions, I don't have any plans on implementing that one.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I don't understand the question. The description code is the same in both contributions.

Jack

Hi Jack, thanks! That finally made the penny drop...... :blush:

I was confusing "Header Tags Categories Description" with the "Header Tags Category Description".

Thanks again for all your hard work in producing these contributions and then the mammoth task of supporting them.