• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I have searched the forums and haven't found an answer to my question, but if it has been asked and answered, I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to the answer.

I cannot seem to make 'products new home' disappear from the top of the browser. For example, my category is Amish Quilts, manufacturer is Quilts, and product title is Brown New Broken Star. The header of my browser shows Amish Quilts - Quilts - new product home - Brown New Broken Star.

What am I missing? The installation went smoothly (thanks so much for the easy to read instructions!) and I have been having fun filling in all the keywords and information for products, categories and manufacturers (ok, no so much fun as easy). On the Fill tags, I have marked Fill all Tags on each column (but when I check again, they are back to skip). Help! :)

Thank you!

I want to change the order in which the header tags list the different elements within each different tag.

For example, the title tag in a product page shows the default header text first followed by the product name at the end;

eg. My great online shop - Large Widget

I would like to turn this around so the product name lists first - before the default text.

Is there a setting somewhere that will do this or will I need to change some code in the header_tags.php.

My latest osCommerce work in progress

no outside links in signatures allowed, see PM

I cannot seem to make 'products new home' disappear from the top of the browser. For example, my category is Amish Quilts, manufacturer is Quilts, and product title is Brown New Broken Star. The header of my browser shows Amish Quilts - Quilts - new product home - Brown New Broken Star.

What am I missing? The installation went smoothly (thanks so much for the easy to read instructions!) and I have been having fun filling in all the keywords and information for products, categories and manufacturers (ok, no so much fun as easy). On the Fill tags, I have marked Fill all Tags on each column (but when I check again, they are back to skip). Help! :)

The product new home text is in Page Control for the product_info page. It needs to be deleted from there, as well as the other default pages (specials and all of the product reviews).

For the Fill Tags, please read the text to the right of that section for an explanation of that action.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I want to change the order in which the header tags list the different elements within each different tag.

For example, the title tag in a product page shows the default header text first followed by the product name at the end;

eg. My great online shop - Large Widget

I would like to turn this around so the product name lists first - before the default text.

Is there a setting somewhere that will do this or will I need to change some code in the header_tags.php.

You need to change the sort order numbers in Page Control for that page.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

The product new home text is in Page Control for the product_info page. It needs to be deleted from there, as well as the other default pages (specials and all of the product reviews).

For the Fill Tags, please read the text to the right of that section for an explanation of that action.

Jack

Thank you. I knew I must have been missing a step! Worked perfectly but it leaves an extra '-' in the title. ?? Example: Amish Quilts - Quilts - - Broken Star

Edited by cherylanns

You need to change the sort order numbers in Page Control for that page.

Jack

Sorry, can't see any reference to Sort Order in the Page Control.

I am happy using the default settings in product_info.php, I just want to put the product name BEFORE the default Title/Description/Keyword.

For instance, currently my title for one of my products is;

Fancy Dress Costumes - Costume Fun - UK's leading online Fancy Dress Shop - Adult Pirate Costume

I want this to read;

Adult Pirate Costume - Fancy Dress Costumes - Costume Fun - UK's leading online Fancy Dress Shop

I can't see any settings within the Page Control section that allows me to change this order. I am assuming that I will have to change some code within the php files.

Can anyone either clarify how to change the sort order in the Page Control section or let me know which part of the code to change so I can have this set up as the default setting.

Thanks

Thank you. I knew I must have been missing a step! Worked perfectly but it leaves an extra '-' in the title. ?? Example: Amish Quilts - Quilts - - Broken Star
If you removed the text from the product page but didn't uncheck the root checkbox, that will happen.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Sorry, can't see any reference to Sort Order in the Page Control.

As mentioned, you need to read the instructions. There's a whole paragraph on the sort order.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

As mentioned, you need to read the instructions. There's a whole paragraph on the sort order.

Jack

Thanks for the help.

However, I don't think I explained the problem properly. The Part I want to move to the front is not a keyword, but the actual name of the product that the code extracts from a query. The instructions that I have read about sort order only appear to be about ordering the defined keywords. I need the php array redefined.

I'll have a look myself and let you know if I find it.

You can add the code to make the extra database call in includes/functions/header_tags.php and merge the word in there but I don't see how that would work with more than one product.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I can't add keywords and description to the index file... Why?

I use STS and many other contributions.

EDIT: On some pages everything shows up. On some pages only Title and Keywords show up and on some pages nothing shows up. On index only the Title shows up.

Edited by Hunnenkoenig

Does this contrib add the H1, H2, to subcategory index pages? If so where is it done.

I dont see such a change, only at the

if ($category_depth == 'nested') {

section

ANd of course thanks for the contrib.

Yes, if you search the install instructions, you will see where h1 is used in different places.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I can't add keywords and description to the index file... Why?

I use STS and many other contributions.

EDIT: On some pages everything shows up. On some pages only Title and Keywords show up and on some pages nothing shows up. On index only the Title shows up.

Have you ran the test script? Besides that, you need to determine if STS is at fault or not. Try disabling it as mentoned previusly in this thread (you'll need to make additional edits).

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Sorry, I searched the topic, but I had no time to read trough 90 pages :-)

No need to. Type in STS in the search string at the bottom of the page.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I installed the whole daamn thing from scratch.

I only installed standard osCommerce, STS (it said, I have to install STS first) and this contribution, but I still can't add keywords and descriptions to the index files.

The problem is the same, like before.

I didn't make any change to the original files, only those, which were stated in the install files.

If I disable STS, I get this on test page:

Test Results

Missing Code in File

The Header Tags head code for the index.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

Language Mismatch Error:

ERROR_LANGUAGE_MISMATCH_DB

ERROR_LANGUAGE_MISMATCH_HT

If I give this to the index.php, and disable STS, then it works fine:

<?php

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

} else {

?>

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

?>

Edited by Hunnenkoenig

That can't be done without editing the code since the contribution isn't setup to handle full category paths.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

My question is:

when I'm in de "page control" and press on "view result" I see red empty space, while the index.php tags are filled with words. But the meta tags are working on the shop, is this normal or?

There is something that is preventing the code from reading the page. I recently saw this happen with a shop that has an IP blocker contribution installed. There's no way to determine what the problem is from here but it has to do with your setup.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack:

Thanks for an excellent contrib. After installing it, I'm having display problems on pages with German text selected. English text is fine, but German bumps the right column to the bottom of the page:

Here is the english page properly displayed: http://kashuen.com/winter-skiiing-snow-swa...tml?language=en

Here is the German page with problems: http://kashuen.com/winter-skiiing-snow-swa...tml?language=de

Any ideas?

Thanks again.