• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

OK, then I guess I could try going from a different angle. Rather than modifying my categories file with the HTSEO stuff, I'll use the file included with HTSEO, and add the modifications that I had before, one at a time, and see how that goes. Sound logical?

Namasté,

Russ

EDIT: I'm still seeing the other add-ons in the Categories section, Specials By Category, Define Mainpage, Online Gift Cards, etc, all show up and appear to be working. Is that normal, or does it sound like I'm putting a categories.php in the wrong place?

Edited by angryquaker

One: people are not wearing enough hats. Two: matter is energy. In the universe, there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio, as orthodox Christianity teaches. It has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved, owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

I'm sorry, but there's no way to comment on what you are seeing is correct or not. Only you know what options were added to your shop. So I suggest making a change for one of them and then testing whatever option if provides. If it works, then go on to the next.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Geez, I'm starting to feel like a simpleton. For whatever reason, the categories.php file included in the RC2 is working in my admin section just fine. All my add-ons appear to be functioning as normal. But now I notice that on the live site, no products are showing up when a category is selected.

http://www.utopiawellness.com

For instance, if you click on "Hemi-Sync CDs," 12 products should show up, but they don't. Also, the "default" title, description and keywords are showing in the source, after I put in a custom description in admin/categories. The "Header Tags Category Description" shows up at the top of the page, followed by the Social Bookmark links, but no products. None of the code to display the products shows up in the source, either.

If I go directly to a product's info page, the meta tags are like:

<title>products new home - Fat Grabbers</title>

<meta name="Description" content="products new description - Benefits:

•Helps decrease the body's absorption of fat.

•Helps maintain cholesterol levels that are already within the normal range.

Fa" />

<meta name="Keywords" content="products new keywords1,keywords2 , Fat Grabbers" />

Please tell me I've overlooked something relatively simple, and that I'm not completely stupid. I feel fairly stupid at this point. LOL

Namasté,

Russ

One: people are not wearing enough hats. Two: matter is energy. In the universe, there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio, as orthodox Christianity teaches. It has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved, owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

Making changes to the categories file shouldn't have any affect on the product_info page of the shop so my guess is that there is a mistake in that code too.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok, so I am stupid. :blink: Be that as it may, I understand that changing the categories.php in admin doesn't change anything on the "live store" side. What I don't understand is why my products would all disappear from their live category pages. I started installing this package on Friday, didn't have time to do anything with it over the weekend, and honestly don't think I even checked any "live" pages in the interim to see if anything was happening. I waited until this morning, when I thought I was done installing, to start checking things. I shouldn't do these things unless I have time to just sit down and go, start to finish. At any rate, I will go back over the install step by step to see if I've missed something. It's obvious now that I have missed something, and likely more than one thing. I did just check a few files to make sure I didn't get one of the various header_tags.php files in the wrong folder, for instance, but haven't found a culprit thus far. I will keep double checking my installation, just thought someone might know an obvious answer to why my products all went somewhere other than where they should be. I searched this thread, too, thinking that if my products disappeared, someone else's might have as well, but I didn't find any such posts. I apologize for being so thick-headed, and appreciate any further assistance.

Namasté,

Russ

PS - The Site In Question is "live," but thank heavens, has not been actively promoted as yet. That's why I haven't set up a "test bed" site, or installed XAMP or similar for testing. I should probably do that, too, tho. I didn't forsee having so many problems, but then again, no one expects The Spanish Inquisition. <_<

Working on the index.php. Instruction 3 around line 247. I found the following code around line 294. Evidently altered but not sure how I should merge/remove with the recommended code. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

?>
   <td width="100%" valign="top"  style="padding-left:10px;padding-top:10px;"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
     <tr>
       <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
         <tr>
           <td class="pageHeading"><?

$category_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name, cd.categories_heading_title, cd.categories_description, c.categories_image from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . $current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . $current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");
    $category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);

?>

<?php 
              if ( (ALLOW_CATEGORY_DESCRIPTIONS == 'true') && (tep_not_null($category['categories_heading_title'])) ) {
                echo $category['categories_heading_title'];
              } else {
                echo $category['categories_name'];
              }
            ?>

<?
if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {
     $image = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_name  from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");
     $image = tep_db_fetch_array($image);
echo $image['manufacturers_name'];

}
?>
</td>

Hi everybody,

I have installed this contribution this morning, but I have no "New Home Page Title" on my home page - and no Page controller and no fill tags in my admin section.

The shop is in french, and based on osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 W3C Valid FR.

Can someone help me..

Thanks a lot

Gal

Working on the index.php. Instruction 3 around line 247. I found the following code around line 294. Evidently altered but not sure how I should merge/remove with the recommended code. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

You have the Categories Description contribution installed. Parts of Header Tags can't be installed with that installed. See comments regarding this elsewhere in this thread.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi everybody,

I have installed this contribution this morning, but I have no "New Home Page Title" on my home page - and no Page controller and no fill tags in my admin section.

The shop is in french, and based on osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 W3C Valid FR.

Can someone help me..

Thanks a lot

Gal

The shop part should work without the admin changes. So it would seem a mistake has been made on the shop side.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack, and thank you for answering so quickly..

I have installed the catalog part first; when I saw there was no 'home page title', i saw on the install notice this can be a mistake in langage configuration.. That's why I kept on installing the add-on.

Do you have an idea of which part of the catalog can have the mistake ?

Thanks a lot,

Gal

The shop part should work without the admin changes. So it would seem a mistake has been made on the shop side.

Jack

To get it to work on the shop side, all that is needed is to install the database change, install the <head> code in the index.php file and upload the files for the shop side. It won't work correctly, of course, but you should see the new title. This assumes a standard oscommerce shop.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Database has been updated successfully, head code is ok, and files have been uploaded with no special problem..

Changes removed the previous title (manually wrotten) of my home page, but no 'New home page title" appears. I first thought it would be a problem of language, that's why I kept on installing the add-on.

But no way - no title on the home page, no fill tags, no control page, even though for my product pages have now new titles, but i can't change them - :blink:

you can have a look at my store www.tooxl.com ..

thanks a lot

To get it to work on the shop side, all that is needed is to install the database change, install the <head> code in the index.php file and upload the files for the shop side. It won't work correctly, of course, but you should see the new title. This assumes a standard oscommerce shop.

Jack

Database has been updated successfully, head code is ok, and files have been uploaded with no special problem..

Changes removed the previous title (manually wrotten) of my home page, but no 'New home page title" appears. I first thought it would be a problem of language, that's why I kept on installing the add-on.

But no way - no title on the home page, no fill tags, no control page, even though for my product pages have now new titles, but i can't change them - :blink:

you can have a look at my store www.tooxl.com ..

The new home page title is there. You should remove the extra meta tags though since those could get your site banned, or, at least, ignored with google.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Sure, but what am i supposed to do to see the control page in the admin section ?

i'm sorry to insist but i've been searching all day, and i can't get any answer..

Thank you for attention,

best regards,

gal

The new home page title is there. You should remove the extra meta tags though since those could get your site banned, or, at least, ignored with google.

Jack

Sure, but what am i supposed to do to see the control page in the admin section ?

i'm sorry to insist but i've been searching all day, and i can't get any answer..

Thank you for attention,

best regards,

gal

You said you couldn't see the title on the home page so that is the problem I was addressing. If page control isn't showing up in admin, that is a different problem. If you make the change to the column_left file in admin, then the Header Tags links should show up. They may not be functional if the the rest of the changes have not been made, but with that one change, the links will show up. If yours is not, then you need to go over the installation again. If your shop has the admin access contribution installed, then you have to enable the files before they will work.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Well..

I think I've made a first step.. thanks to you.. column_left was uploaded with this code :

require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'configuration.php');
 require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'catalog.php');
 require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'modules.php');
 require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'customers.php');
 require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'taxes.php');
 require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'localization.php');
 require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'reports.php');
 require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'tools.php');
 /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'header_tags_seo.php');
/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/
?>

Is it right ?

Now I have a header tag SEO link in my admin section .. Thank you !

But this link seems to be broken ... it brings me to a

'/admin/FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_SEO?selected_box=headertags' - which is a 404..

is there something i can do ?

Secondly, what do you mean exactly by

you have to enable the files before they will work
?

You said you couldn't see the title on the home page so that is the problem I was addressing. If page control isn't showing up in admin, that is a different problem. If you make the change to the column_left file in admin, then the Header Tags links should show up. They may not be functional if the the rest of the changes have not been made, but with that one change, the links will show up. If yours is not, then you need to go over the installation again. If your shop has the admin access contribution installed, then you have to enable the files before they will work.

Jack

I got the answer.. Broken link is repaired now..

I mean.. in a way.. :huh:

Now I got this message :

1146 - Table TABLE_HEADERTAGS' doesn't exist

select * from TABLE_HEADERTAGS

[TEP STOP]

for the HeaderTag link, for the page Control link, and when I click on the test button, I got this message :

1146 - Table 'tooxlco_newdb.TABLE_HEADERTAGS' doesn't exist

select page_name from TABLE_HEADERTAGS where language_id = '4'

[TEP STOP]

The above two statements have me confused. It appears that your shop may have had the Header Tags Controller contribution installed, or maybe that is what you are using.PLuse, since you've never installed Header Tags SEO, I don't know how to advise you. You need to figure out what contribution you have installed and what you are trying to install and go from there.

Jack

I'm not sure what exactly happened but anyways it's all ''fixed''. My admin and site are working as good as new. I had to run something in my database as per a post that someone else in 2003 had done with the same issue. I appear to have this contribution still loaded as I see it in my admin. I'm not sure what I need to be doing next or how to tell if it's working properly. Can you direct me?

Thanks

I'm not sure what exactly happened but anyways it's all ''fixed''. My admin and site are working as good as new. I had to run something in my database as per a post that someone else in 2003 had done with the same issue. I appear to have this contribution still loaded as I see it in my admin. I'm not sure what I need to be doing next or how to tell if it's working properly. Can you direct me?

Thanks

There are a couple of instruction files included with the contribution provide general instructions on what you should do.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I am trying to install the Header Tags SEO v3.0 contrib, but seem to fail at the very first step. When I try to import the .sql-file, I get the errormsg

#1171 - All parts of a PRIMARY KEY must be NOT NULL; If you need NULL in a key, use UNIQUE instead

I know what it means and how to handle it, but I cannot explain to myself why this happens on a freshly installed OSC, where no changes have been made except for the standard installation settings like name and password.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi,

I am trying to install the Header Tags SEO v3.0 contrib, but seem to fail at the very first step. When I try to import the .sql-file, I get the errormsg

#1171 - All parts of a PRIMARY KEY must be NOT NULL; If you need NULL in a key, use UNIQUE instead

I know what it means and how to handle it, but I cannot explain to myself why this happens on a freshly installed OSC, where no changes have been made except for the standard installation settings like name and password.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Martin

In the headertags_seo.sql file make these changes:

language_id int DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL,

to

language_id int DEFAULT '1' NULL,

and

to

and try it again.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

OK. I've gone back over my installation, re-uploaded the files from the install package, re-read every text file included in the package, and I'm still having problems. Chief among the problems is that my products don't show up when a category is clicked, except for a couple categories now. Most vexing, indeed. Here's a link to my site again:

http://www.utopiawellness.com

If you click on "Spa Sessions," the page loads with no Title, Keyword, or Description tags, but the Description text that was input from admin/categories appears at the top, followed by the social bookmarks. Between this description and bookmarks, there should be three (3) products, but there are none. All my category pages display this same behavior, with a couple exceptions. "Detox/Cleansing" doesn't have any products added yet, so there shouldn't be any products showing, and there are none. However, "Weight Loss" shows the two products that should be there, and "Wellness Supplements" shows some products, as well as the sub-categories that should be there. BUT, if you click any of those sub-cats to see all the products of a particular brand, it reverts to the same format as "Spa Sessions," no meta tags, no products, just the heading and social bookmarks. In the Trace Minerals sub-cat, there are no products yet, so it should display the message stating that "There are no products in this category," but it doesn't. The two remaining categories don't have sub-cats, and behave the same as "Spa Sessions."

Everything in admin appears (to me) to be functioning properly, no error messages, no SQL tep_stops nor anything of that nature. I followed the instructions in "HowToOperate.txt," fill all tags, etc, but still have the same results on the catalog pages.

I am completely befuddled. I have no idea why this would be happening, or how to go about making it right. I am somewhat surprised that in almost a year of use, and over 80 pages of thread, no one else has experienced the same issue(s). Seems to be just my luck (or ignorance), I guess. I've tried to describe the issue(s) as thoroughly as possible, if there's other information I should provide, just let me know. At this point, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get this functioning properly. Please advise.

Namasté,

Russ

OK. I've gone back over my installation, re-uploaded the files from the install package, re-read every text file included in the package, and I'm still having problems. Chief among the problems is that my products don't show up when a category is clicked, except for a couple categories now.

That would have to be a problem with the changes made to the index.php file, assuming they worked originally.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

In the headertags_seo.sql file make these changes:

to

and

to

and try it again.

Jack

Hello Jack,

no success with these changes. Same errormsg.

Edited by Nitram80