• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Yes, I had overlooked adding the header_tags to include for the content templates. It works now

what about header_tags_seo.txt file? Is that just a list of keywords related to my store which I need to create and upload?

No, it is in the contribution package. You have to upload it to your server.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Please help.

I had installed the Header Tags SEO contribution a couple of months ago and everything was working properly. About a week ago I transfered the site to another folder, on the same server.... now I am getting this error when I click on the "Header Tags SEO" link in admin:

Warning: opendir(/usr/www/users/jeansbodytech/catalog/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/mquarles/jeansbodytech/catalog/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 15

Failed to open dir

Any thoughts?

Help is much appreciated as always.

The index and product_info pages are not pseudo pages so you can't add them. The individual tags for them are handled with Fill Tags or in the categories and product edit pages.

Jack

Thanks for the reply Jack.

I think what is confusing me is that I don't have meta tag boxes in the Categories edit pages. I do have them in the Products edit pages. Have I missed something out?

I have run the Fill All Tags for both products and categories, and the product pages are populated correctly, but the category pages are not listing a description from the text on the page and as i mentioned, I don't have the fields in the categories edit pages.

Many thanks for your help.

Phillip

Please help.

I had installed the Header Tags SEO contribution a couple of months ago and everything was working properly. About a week ago I transfered the site to another folder, on the same server.... now I am getting this error when I click on the "Header Tags SEO" link in admin:

Warning: opendir(/usr/www/users/jeansbodytech/catalog/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/mquarles/jeansbodytech/catalog/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 15

Failed to open dir

Any thoughts?

Also, confused on why the paths above are wrong, there is no such path on my directory. Another thing is the "fill tags" link shows up properly (works) however the main "Header Tags SEO" link and "Page Control" link does not... any thoughts?

Please help.

Failed to open dir

Any thoughts?

That's not a Header Tags issue. Something is wrong with your configure file most likely. You'll need to post is the appropriate place.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for the reply Jack.

I think what is confusing me is that I don't have meta tag boxes in the Categories edit pages. I do have them in the Products edit pages. Have I missed something out?

I have run the Fill All Tags for both products and categories, and the product pages are populated correctly, but the category pages are not listing a description from the text on the page and as i mentioned, I don't have the fields in the categories edit pages.

Many thanks for your help.

Phillip

You may have the categories description contribution installed. That will prevent the Header Tags code from working. You can also try the included categories file as explained in the docs.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That's not a Header Tags issue. Something is wrong with your configure file most likely. You'll need to post is the appropriate place.

Jack

Yes, you were correct! Thank you Jack. All I needed to do was update my configure file in the admin/includes folder, because of the paths changing from the transfer. Just wanted to post that I solved the issue in case someone else runs into the same problem. Good Day!

I installed the recent Header Tags SEO V 3.0.9 with a site map maintence tool and google has indexed some pages with Duplicate title tags with the pages ending with &language=en‎ and aswell as the currency pages ?currency=CAD‎ my site map is at ....

http://www.grownhydro.com/store/sitemaps.xml

thank you for your help

I hope that jack doesnt mind me answering this, as I actually ran into the same problem. It doesnt have a thing to do with Header Tags SEO. The short of it is, you have to use robots.txt with wildcards which will prevent those urls from being spidered, also you should be able to tell your sitemap program not to include urls with certain substrings in the sitemap. PM me for more details, so this thread can stay about HTC

In the long run, it wont hurt you either way... Its really not anything to stress too bad over.

Hi Jack,

I'm also trying my skills with the great thing you did here, but, of-course, some problems !

I installed HeaderTagsSEOV3 on an existing store (with STS) and everything looks fine. I can change titles, descriptions and keywords on all files (index.php, specials.php, products_new.php etc) exept one: The file product_info.php. Here I get permanently the default store name.

In the same time I'm getting the message :" Found Missing Tags: Products table has 3 items with missing meta tag information"

I think I did everything correctly:

1) I ran "add missing pages"

2) I did "fill tags" getting a confirmation message

3) When going to "categories/products", viewing the product info there, I can see that all tags (title, description, keyword) are filled in.

4) The "test" shows me

Missing Code in File

The Header Tags head code for the index.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

But I think thats ok, because of STS

What I try to do, and fail, is

1) I go to page control and choode "product_info.php"

2) I fill out the fields (with all possible combinations of the "include" part

I still get the default store name. When pressing on "view result" the page title is yellow with the default store name, both other fields are red and empty

Reading the previous posts here

1) I unistalled and reinstalled everything

2) I replaced the file header_tags.php

3) I replaced my admin/includes/categories.php with the one in the package

No result

Where can the problem be?

Are you using the product_info content template feature in STS? If so, did you configure the STS Product Info module to include the headertags.php file?

Under Files For Normal Template:

sts_user_code.php;headertags.php

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi Jack,

I'm also trying my skills with the great thing you did here, but, of-course, some problems !

I installed HeaderTagsSEOV3 on an existing store (with STS) and everything looks fine. I can change titles, descriptions and keywords on all files (index.php, specials.php, products_new.php etc) exept one: The file product_info.php. Here I get permanently the default store name.

I still get the default store name. When pressing on "view result" the page title is yellow with the default store name, both other fields are red and empty

Reading the previous posts here

1) I unistalled and reinstalled everything

2) I replaced the file header_tags.php

3) I replaced my admin/includes/categories.php with the one in the package

No result

Where can the problem be?

Thanks for taking the time to try all of that instead of just posting that "it's broke." If everything is working except the products page and you can see the tags for it in admin, then it either has to be the changes to the product_info file or the includes/header_tags.php file, which you said you replaced. Since it is STS, I suppose the problem could be that you have the <head> changes in the product_info page or you didn't add the headertags statement to the moduels setting in admin. You might want to add the <head> changes to the product_info file, turn off STS in admin and try the products page again. If the tags are displayed, then it is something in the STS setup. If not, then something is wrong with the Header Tags installation.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for taking the time to try all of that instead of just posting that "it's broke."

Hi again Jack and Bill

If somebody has to say thank you here, then its me, you do all the great job, me (and the others) have just to find out how it works.

I found out that the problem was with STS, in real with me, in the moment I was writing to bill that "no, I've just the default template enabled" i had an other look and tam tam, the product template was enabled without the headertags code of course.

And I was expecting it to work :(

I'm happy that it was just my stupidness !

And thank you for the programs and the great support, it sounds like not real all

Hi! I installed SEO addon and it looks like everything's there. (Thanks, Jack!) Ran the test and it turned out fine, however, all the headings on my site include the words "HEADER_TITLE" (i.e., HEADER_TITLE_catalog; HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS; HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT; etc.

What file(s) do I need to change to prevent the wording "HEADER_TITLE" from displaying?

Thanks!

Michele

I have installed 3.0.9. Everything works but its not showing Category name in title . Title in database for the category is allready there but not showing.
Do you have the category option enabled in Page Control?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi! I installed SEO addon and it looks like everything's there. (Thanks, Jack!) Ran the test and it turned out fine, however, all the headings on my site include the words "HEADER_TITLE" (i.e., HEADER_TITLE_catalog; HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS; HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT; etc.

What file(s) do I need to change to prevent the wording "HEADER_TITLE" from displaying?

Thanks!

Michele

Capital letters like that means the definitions are missing from the language files. Since those definitions are not Header Tags related, it appears you deleted them while installing the contribution, assuming the errors were not there before. You'll need to check the changes you made to the language files.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks so much, Jack! You're a life saver! I am most appreciative. (Just to let others know - I believe I downloaded another version of: includes/languages/english.php - instead of using my current file and adding to that. (If that makes any sense.) To be truthful, I am a newbie and have no clue what I'm doing. I follow directions and keep my fingers crossed. One of these days I will catch on! Thanks again, Jack! Michele

Hi,

I've loaded the headertags_seo_install.php in the directory where my index.php is, when I try to install it I get this warning

I'm unsure how exactly to resolve this.

Thanks

It means some version of Header Tags was already installed. You can try running the headertags_seo_update.php file or, if you don't care about existing tags, run headertags_seo_uninstall.php and then headertags_seo_install.php.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hey Jack,

For some reason, I am unable to add Meta Tag Information for my products. The box (Text Field) is there, but the information I am entering is not been saved.

If I enter the information directly through PhpMyAdmin then it works and it even fills the Meta Tag Information boxes for my products on Admin/categories.

Any reason why you think this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo

Hey Jack,

For some reason, I am unable to add Meta Tag Information for my products. The box (Text Field) is there, but the information I am entering is not been saved.

If I enter the information directly through PhpMyAdmin then it works and it even fills the Meta Tag Information boxes for my products on Admin/categories.

Any reason why you think this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo

See the note in the install docs regarding admin not working.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Okay, here's a silly question...that's not so silly to me. :)

The name of my store is It's Okay to Show Off. Notice the apostrophe. When I place my store name in the HT area in admin and then visit my site, it will read (in the browser header - IE7) "It/'s Okay to Show Off" or sometimes it looks like "It'''s Okay to Show Off" or "It////s Okay to Show Off". It seems to change with a refresh. I've tried putting it in with the apostrophe normally...I've also tried putting the "/'". BTW - It seems to look okay on the index page, but after that 'forget about it'. :)

Can someone tell me how apostrophes are handled here?

Thank you!

Okay, here's a silly question...that's not so silly to me. :)

The name of my store is It's Okay to Show Off. Notice the apostrophe. When I place my store name in the HT area in admin and then visit my site, it will read (in the browser header - IE7) "It/'s Okay to Show Off" or sometimes it looks like "It'''s Okay to Show Off" or "It////s Okay to Show Off". It seems to change with a refresh. I've tried putting it in with the apostrophe normally...I've also tried putting the "/'". BTW - It seems to look okay on the index page, but after that 'forget about it'. :)

Can someone tell me how apostrophes are handled here?

Thank you!

I haven't checked it but the Header Tags code is probably stripping that apostrophe. I remember adding code to do something with that. But the more important point to realize is what the title is used for in terms of SEO. The number one mistake most people make is that they use the name of their shop for the main title. That is fine for branded shops like Amazon or EBay. But for regualra shops, it only hurts them. Besides that, the search engines will generally ignore common words, like It's, so having that as the title, most likely, provides little, if any benefit. I suggest figuring out what your main keywords are and using them as the title. That will actually help the shop. You should also read the So_What_Good_Is_It.txt file in the contribution.

If you still want to use It's in the title, you can try replacing ' with

'

I don't know if it will work due to the code I mentioned above but you could try it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons