• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

After studying the reasons that my pages were flagged for duplicate title tags:

(1) Categories that have more than one page. The link has page=2&sort=2a&opt=list appended. I have Ultimate SEO Urls by Chemo installed. This also evident with All Products, if you have that installed.

(2) Sub-categories with the same name but listed under different categories. For example, Sub-cat "action" under Movies category would have the same title as sub-cat "action" under the Video Games category.

Reasons I believed for being flagged for Duplicate meta descriptions:

(1) Products that appear in a list besides its product page would be flagged because it has 'op=list' appended to the url and would indeed have the same description.

(2) More than one product that have the same description such as 'No description available'. I should have known that was a no-no.

My conclusion is Ultimate SEO Urls have a minor issue with how category urls are rendered & it maybe cause a minor conflict with Header Tags SEO.

Hopefully I have shed some light to those who have Ultimate SEO Urls & Header Tags SEO installed.

I acknowledge this may be the wrong place to post this issue so I will create a post in tips & tricks to this post so it may help others.

Hello Jack,

Is this scenario possible with Header Tags SEO?

On most competitor's websites that sell the same products as myself, I've noticed the same things when I view the page source. This is how their meta tags are set up or generated:

<title>Artist CD Title</title>

<meta name="description" content="Artist CD Title on sale for $9.99 at [website] then it gives an excerpt from the actual description">

<meta name="keywords" content="Artist CD Title followed by a list of keywords">

(1) To me that is a strange generation of meta tag content

(2) Obviously it works because all the competitor's I compared were on the first two pages of Google's search results. I used to have better or just as good placement.

I know that doesn't substitute for well written content and good page structure.

I guess another question would be how SE bots read webpage content? Left to right, top to bottom as humans do or in some specially programmed manner.

Would that be a possible solution to the duplicate content issue I've been concerned about in the other forum? I'm trying to get my website ready for the holiday season and want it to be in good shape. Also, it seems my website is being visited by googlebot often and its constantly updating content daily.

Thanks for any help and/or guidance.

I don't understand the question but if your competitior is selling some product named Artist CD Title, then that would be correct. That seems unlikely but I would have to see the page. Title and meta tags don't have as much importance if the text on the page doesn't support them.

The search engines read top to bottom, left to right. The place more importance on items closer to the top. Since oscommerce places the code in the left column before the middle column, some importance is lost there, although I think it is minor.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Warning: require(includes/boxes/header_tags_seo.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/d/i/a/diana117/html/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 22

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/boxes/header_tags_seo.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/d/i/a/diana117/html/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 22

Can anyone tell me what is the problem?

I don't understand the question but if your competitior is selling some product named Artist CD Title, then that would be correct. That seems unlikely but I would have to see the page. Title and meta tags don't have as much importance if the text on the page doesn't support them.

The search engines read top to bottom, left to right. The place more importance on items closer to the top. Since oscommerce places the code in the left column before the middle column, some importance is lost there, although I think it is minor.

Jack

I apologize for being vague in my question. If you follow this link below and view the page source with your browser, hopefully you would be able to see what I'm talking about. I was just wondering if the page title could be auto generated in the description and keywords meta tags. I know it is possible to place page title in the keyword tags with Header Tags SEO because I accomplished that by making adjustments in text control.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...;cart=775224046

After viewing page source, you should notice that the artist name and album title are mentioned 3 times in the meta tags. Also, the artist name and album title is saturated throughout the page, so the text does support the meta tags. Selling media is a more detailed approach than selling general items. I have my work cut out. In the description meta tag, the artist name is mentioned first followed by some other text. I was wanting know if HT SEO could do the same with some minor code tweaking.

More importantly, I would have to get album titles and artist names to echo several times throughout the page.

I'm not trying to beat out the competition yet. I'm seeking to perform better in the search engine results.

Thanks for taking a look and fast replies.

Warning: require(includes/boxes/header_tags_seo.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/d/i/a/diana117/html/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 22

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/boxes/header_tags_seo.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/d/i/a/diana117/html/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 22

Did you upload the files that came in the Header Tags SEO package as well as making the mods? I forgot to upload the files and nearly panic'd. :blush: . I ask because I got a similar error the first time I went into admin after making the mods - I almost backed them out before I realized my mistake.

Jack:

I'd like to virtually shake your hand. Crazy awesome involved mod. You *really* grasp the internals of OSC. Fantastic contribution with well written documentation. Other than the semi-issue of my oversight (to be nice) noted above, it functioned on a reasonably heavily-modified cart with little pain other than the hour of search-and-cut-and-paste. That's a heck of a package to release into open source, and you're to be commended, IMHO. Critical functionality, well thought-out. I'll let you know what Google thinks of it later. ;)

It means the installation provedure wasn't fully completed. You need to read the install instructions againand perform all of the steps.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I apologize for being vague in my question. If you follow this link below and view the page source with your browser, hopefully you would be able to see what I'm talking about. I was just wondering if the page title could be auto generated in the description and keywords meta tags. I know it is possible to place page title in the keyword tags with Header Tags SEO because I accomplished that by making adjustments in text control.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...;cart=775224046

After viewing page source, you should notice that the artist name and album title are mentioned 3 times in the meta tags. Also, the artist name and album title is saturated throughout the page, so the text does support the meta tags. Selling media is a more detailed approach than selling general items. I have my work cut out. In the description meta tag, the artist name is mentioned first followed by some other text. I was wanting know if HT SEO could do the same with some minor code tweaking.

More importantly, I would have to get album titles and artist names to echo several times throughout the page.

I'm not trying to beat out the competition yet. I'm seeking to perform better in the search engine results.

Thanks for taking a look and fast replies.

I was just wondering if the page title could be auto generated in the description and keywords meta tags.

I guess another way of asking this would be: If possible, can the title be appended to the description tag?

Sorry for any confusion.

I guess another way of asking this would be: If possible, can the title be appended to the description tag?

Sorry for any confusion.

The code can be changed however one likes. But what you are wanting to do is specific to your installation and is beyond the scope of support for the contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The code can be changed however one likes. But what you are wanting to do is specific to your installation and is beyond the scope of support for the contribution.

Jack

You're right. That would be a customization. I'll just go through the code and figure out how to get the title to append to the description tag just as it does to the keywords tag.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks!

My problem has been fixed.

But when I test the SEO

the following are shown:

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

what is the problem?

thanks!

More "reading directions" problem.

Catalog Install.txt answers the question.

In summary, there's a bit of code that you have to add to every file you want HT-SEO to play with. Go ahead and have a read through the install instructions again - you'll find it there.

Thanks!

My problem has been fixed.

But when I test the SEO

the following are shown:

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

what is the problem?

thanks!

Hello,

I need show the subcategories next to categories in the title page, ie. Category - Subcategory - Product name. Now I can show Category or subcategory but not both. And when I choose an subcategory I want show the subcategory too.

Somebody can help me to mod this? Whats is the file that I need mod? thanksss

Hello Jack I need install urls friendly contribution, I have see Ultimate SEO URLs 2-2.2e by you from Oct 2007, but is compatible with HT SEO last version? and what do you say me? other contribution Seach Engine Friendly URL? I need the one compatible with HT SEO, thanks

Hello,

I need show the subcategories next to categories in the title page, ie. Category - Subcategory - Product name. Now I can show Category or subcategory but not both. And when I choose an subcategory I want show the subcategory too.

Somebody can help me to mod this? Whats is the file that I need mod? thanksss

The code isn't setup to handle showing the category and the sub-category. It should be displaying the sub-category though so if that part is not working for you, it is either due to having an older version installed or it is not installed correctly.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack I need install urls friendly contribution, I have see Ultimate SEO URLs 2-2.2e by you from Oct 2007, but is compatible with HT SEO last version? and what do you say me? other contribution Seach Engine Friendly URL? I need the one compatible with HT SEO, thanks
This contribution should work with any of the url rewriters but I recommend Ultimate SEO. Don't use the version I uploaded though. It works but has a few problems I never followed up on. The version e Fixed, fixes some of those and version D works well too.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Oh yes, I have installed the contribution and working very well for the subcategories, but this in title: Graphics Cards - Oscommerce for subcategories, and Hardware - Oscommerce for the categories, but I need: Hardware - Graphics Cards - Oscommerce, this isn't possible??

Oh yes, I have installed the contribution and working very well for the subcategories, but this in title: Graphics Cards - Oscommerce for subcategories, and Hardware - Oscommerce for the categories, but I need: Hardware - Graphics Cards - Oscommerce, this isn't possible??
I don't know what those titles are for but if they are each titles to a different section (home, category, product), then they can be set in any order you want using the sort order option in Page Control. That requires the latest version, or maybe the one before it, though.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The last version Ultimate SEO urls is v2.5 fullpackage I must install this ??
I've already mentioned the two version I recommend. For any other questions on this, please ask in the appropriate forum.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, I'm setting the HT SEO but I need to know, is possible disable Default title in index.php only for the home page but no for the categories and manufacturers?? because I disable Default title in index.php disable for all, home page, categories and manufacturers.

Jack, I'm setting the HT SEO but I need to know, is possible disable Default title in index.php only for the home page but no for the categories and manufacturers?? because I disable Default title in index.php disable for all, home page, categories and manufacturers.
No, there's nothing in the code that will allow that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I tried this contrib and can't make it to work. I'm using STS and couldn't find the code mentioned here:

NOTE for STS Users: The above also applies to STS shops but does not

always work for some reason. If your STS shop fails, in your

sts_display_output.php file, [/qoute]

do I need to include the following code in my template file as well as I did in my index.php file?

<?php
// BOF: Header Tag Controller v2.6.0
if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');
} else {
?> 
 <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<?php
}
// EOF: Header Tag Controller v2.6.0
?>

This is the support thread for Header Tags SEO. If you want to use the Header Tags Controller and STS, you need to post your question in the STS support thread for assistance.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack, I have my product_info into the index.php for a contribution, and the titles for the product_info dont work, to solve this I have copied the code of product_info part into index part in the includes/header_tags.php. But dont work very well, show this:

Hardware - - Oscommerce title, for the category

GT Interactive - - Oscommerce title, for the manufacturer

How can I fix it?

This is the code that I have now

// Define specific settings per page: 
switch (true) {
 // INDEX.PHP
 case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_DEFAULT) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_DEFAULT)):
$pageTags_query = tep_db_query("select * from " . TABLE_HEADERTAGS . " where page_name like '" . FILENAME_DEFAULT . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
$pageTags = tep_db_fetch_array($pageTags_query);

$catStr = "select categories_htc_title_tag as htc_title_tag, categories_htc_desc_tag as htc_desc_tag, categories_htc_keywords_tag as htc_keywords_tag from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'";
$manStr = "select mi.manufacturers_htc_title_tag as htc_title_tag, mi.manufacturers_htc_desc_tag as htc_desc_tag, mi.manufacturers_htc_keywords_tag as htc_keywords_tag from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m LEFT JOIN " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " mi on m.manufacturers_id = mi.manufacturers_id where m.manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$_GET['manufacturers_id'] . "' and mi.languages_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'";

if ($pageTags['append_root'] || $category_depth == 'top' )
{
  $sortOrder['title'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_title']; 
  $sortOrder['description'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_description']; 
  $sortOrder['keywords'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_keywords']; 
  $sortOrder['logo'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_logo'];
}

$sortOrder = GetCategoryAndManufacturer($sortOrder, $pageTags, $defaultTags, $catStr, $manStr);

if ($pageTags['append_default_title'] && tep_not_null($tmpTags['def_title'])) $sortOrder['title'][$pageTags['sortorder_title']] = $tmpTags['def_title'];
if ($pageTags['append_default_description'] && tep_not_null($tmpTags['def_desc'])) $sortOrder['description'][$pageTags['sortorder_description']] = $tmpTags['def_desc'];
if ($pageTags['append_default_keywords'] && tep_not_null($tmpTags['def_keywords'])) $sortOrder['keywords'][$pageTags['sortorder_keywords']] = $tmpTags['def_keywords'];
if ($pageTags['append_default_logo'] && tep_not_null($tmpTags['def_logo_text']))  $sortOrder['logo'][$pageTags['sortorder_logo']] = $tmpTags['def_logo_text'];

FillHeaderTagsArray($header_tags_array, $sortOrder);  
 // PRODUCT_INFO.PHP
  case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO)):

switch (true)
{
 case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO)):				   $filename = FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO;	break;
 default: $filename = FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO;
} 
$pageTags_query = tep_db_query("select * from " . TABLE_HEADERTAGS . " where page_name like '" . $filename . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
$pageTags = tep_db_fetch_array($pageTags_query);

$the_product_info_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, pd.products_head_title_tag, pd.products_head_keywords_tag, pd.products_head_desc_tag, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_id = '" . (int)$_GET['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id ='" .  $languages_id . "'");
$the_product_info = tep_db_fetch_array($the_product_info_query);
$header_tags_array['product'] = $the_product_info['products_head_title_tag'];  //save for use on the logo
$tmpTags['prod_title'] = (tep_not_null($the_product_info['products_head_title_tag'])) ? $the_product_info['products_head_title_tag'] : '';
$tmpTags['prod_desc'] = (tep_not_null($the_product_info['products_head_desc_tag'])) ? $the_product_info['products_head_desc_tag'] : '';
$tmpTags['prod_keywords'] = (tep_not_null($the_product_info['products_head_keywords_tag'])) ? $the_product_info['products_head_keywords_tag'] : '';

$catStr = "select c.categories_htc_title_tag as htc_title_tag, c.categories_htc_desc_tag as htc_desc_tag, c.categories_htc_keywords_tag as htc_keywords_tag from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " c, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . " p2c where c.categories_id = p2c.categories_id and p2c.products_id = '" . (int)$the_product_info['products_id'] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'";
$manStr = "select mi.manufacturers_htc_title_tag as htc_title_tag, mi.manufacturers_htc_desc_tag as htc_desc_tag, mi.manufacturers_htc_keywords_tag as htc_keywords_tag from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m LEFT JOIN " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " mi on m.manufacturers_id = mi.manufacturers_id  where m.manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$the_product_info['manufacturers_id'] . "' and mi.languages_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' LIMIT 1";

if ($pageTags['append_root'])
{
  $sortOrder['title'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_title'];
  $sortOrder['description'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_description']; 
  $sortOrder['keywords'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_keywords'];
  $sortOrder['logo'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_logo']; 
}

if ($pageTags['append_product'])
{	
  $sortOrder['title'][$pageTags['sortorder_product']] = $tmpTags['prod_title'];  //places the product title at the end of the list
  $sortOrder['description'][$pageTags['sortorder_product']] = $tmpTags['prod_desc'];
  $sortOrder['keywords'][$pageTags['sortorder_product']] = $tmpTags['prod_keywords']; 
  $sortOrder['logo'][$pageTags['sortorder_product']] = $tmpTags['prod_title'];
}

$sortOrder = GetCategoryAndManufacturer($sortOrder, $pageTags, $defaultTags, $catStr, $manStr, true);
if ($pageTags['append_default_title'] && tep_not_null($tmpTags['def_title'])) $sortOrder['title'][$pageTags['sortorder_title']] = $tmpTags['def_title'];
if ($pageTags['append_default_description'] && tep_not_null($tmpTags['def_desc'])) $sortOrder['description'][$pageTags['sortorder_description']] = $tmpTags['def_desc'];
if ($pageTags['append_default_keywords'] && tep_not_null($tmpTags['def_keywords'])) $sortOrder['keywords'][$pageTags['sortorder_keywords']] = $tmpTags['def_keywords'];
if ($pageTags['append_default_logo'] && tep_not_null($tmpTags['def_logo_text']))  $sortOrder['logo'][$pageTags['sortorder_logo']] = $tmpTags['def_logo_text'];

FillHeaderTagsArray($header_tags_array, $sortOrder);  

break;