• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

The new page has to be added correctly and have the Header Tags code in it. Since you mention that you are just now making a change to filenames.php, I have to think it is not setup correctly. But, either way, the code works fine in all of the shops I tested here. So it is something in your setup but not something I can handle here.

Jack

well thanks for trying... the thing works on every page except new ones or blanks ones with only the header tags code in it.

this is all i have in test.php, should this work or does it need something else?

<html>
<head>
<?php
/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');
} else {
?>
 <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<?php
}
/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/
?>
</head>
</html>

if i view source on it this is all it shows

<html>
<head>
 <title>TITLE</title>
</head>
</html>

and in the admin it shows this

screenshot.jpg

then i click 'view result' in the admin and get this

error.jpg

in includes/header_tags.php it adds this

// test.php
 case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_TEST) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_TEST)):
   $header_tags_array = tep_header_tag_page(FILENAME_TEST);
  break;

i have no idea what im doing wrong or how i may have set it up wrong since it works on all the other pages just fine, i even tried to take privacy.php and make a perfect copy of it and named it privacy2.php, it showed up in the admin and i added meta tags to it but it still wouldnt display them... how it can display privacy.php just fine but not an exact copy of it i just dont understand, if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it

thanks

Edited by thelava

Hi! Jack thank you so much for this contribution and your ongoing support of it! I have read this whole forum and all the install.txt files along with the txt files in the doc folder. I am familar with PHP code but not very familar with SEO things.

I have followed your instructions and I think I have successfully installed everything - the database updates, the catalog updates and the admin updates. I can change the page control and clear and fill tags. When I look at one of my store's products the title bar is like I want it with my store name and the product name displayed along with when I view the source code for the web page I can see the meta tags that are generated the way I want them. The only stumbling block I have been running into is that when I use yahoo or google to search on one of my products my store is not returned in the results. I have tried for a couple of weeks changing what I include in the product keywords and the description. I go through pages and pages of search results to see if it listed and I do not see it. Am I missing something obvious or do I need to install another contribution.

Thank you for any direction that you can point me in.

Regards,

Dede

The only stumbling block I have been running into is that when I use yahoo or google to search on one of my products my store is not returned in the results. I have tried for a couple of weeks changing what I include in the product keywords and the description. I go through pages and pages of search results to see if it listed and I do not see it. Am I missing something obvious or do I need to install another contribution.
Header Tags only allows you setup your pages so they are ready for the search engines. When the search engines decide to look at and index them is out of your control. Waiting three months is not uncommon and some sites can take close to a year. There are other changes that can be made to the site that will speed that up but it isn't asubject for this thread. Search the forums for SEO to find other changes that should be made to your shop to improve the chances of it getting listed well.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Were can I change the language in meta-tag.

Actualy is

<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-US" />

but I would have german ("de").

Can I change this after I finisched all entry (desription, keyword ....) in all page? Can you tell my how can I do this)

Thanks a lot for reply

regards from switzerland

Lexus3

Edited by Lexus3

Hi Jack

Were can I change the language in meta-tag.

Actualy is

<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-US" />

but I would have german ("de").

The code is in the includes/header_tags.php file for the pages Header Tags affects.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hey Jack, I have installed your contribution but I get some mistakes which I can't seem to figure out:

In Admin:

I can see and click the 'Head Tags SEO' under Configuration > it seems to work fine.

But clicking the links in the box 'Head Tags SEO' give me the following error:

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: getfilelist() in /home/myname/mydomain/mywebsite/public_html/catalog/admin/header_tags_seo.php on line 23"

Front site of the shop:

When I put the Title tag into my Index.php (or any other); I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: getcategoryandmanufacturer() in /home/myname/mydomain/mywebsite/public_html/catalog/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 42

Do you have any idea where to search for the problem?

Many thanks! :blush:

Hey Jack, I have installed your contribution but I get some mistakes which I can't seem to figure out:

In Admin:

I can see and click the 'Head Tags SEO' under Configuration > it seems to work fine.

But clicking the links in the box 'Head Tags SEO' give me the following error:

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: getfilelist() in /home/myname/mydomain/mywebsite/public_html/catalog/admin/header_tags_seo.php on line 23"

Front site of the shop:

When I put the Title tag into my Index.php (or any other); I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: getcategoryandmanufacturer() in /home/myname/mydomain/mywebsite/public_html/catalog/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 42

Do you have any idea where to search for the problem?

Many thanks! :blush:

Those errors are saying they cannot find the code added by Header Tags so it seems you didn't fully install the contribution. You have to upload files and make changes to existing files in order for it to work.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Those errors are saying they cannot find the code added by Header Tags so it seems you didn't fully install the contribution. You have to upload files and make changes to existing files in order for it to work.

Jack

Okay, I will check it again... and again...

Thanks!

Okay, I will check it again... and again...

Thanks!

Jack, I checked and rechecked, but I have uploaded everything from the catalog folder and have done the Install Catalog and Install Admin already three times. Of course I also have done the database files.

I have other contributions installed like "Product Listing Enhancements, Thumbnails & Manufacturer Headings V1.2".

Since it is saying it can't find: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: getfilelist and call to undefined function: checkformissingtags and Call to undefined function: getcategoryandmanufacturer> do you think it has something to do with that?

Where do you think the mistake might be: in the admin or catalog? Any tips are welcome!! :blink:

And what about the update folder: do I have to do those too? Or are these already in the last download?

Edited by ttime

Jack

Do you have a file named header_tags.php in the admin/includes/functions directory on your server?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Others have pointed out here that the text entered for the home page will also show up on the category pages. That is on the list of things to change. In the meantime. you can delete the text you have entered for the home page and check the include default boxes. That might get you closer to what you want.

Jack

Hi Jack having the same problem I can not get the header tags description, Keywords, Title to work on catagory pages the product pages are fine if I insert the old /includes/languages/english/header_tags.php I can get my keywords on the catagory page plus the default text. I did not understand the answer that you gave to this problem could this be a bug or is it a mistake in my install have checked the several times seems ok the only conflict could be with the contribution (categories_description) but I did not have this problem with the old version of header tags and (categories_description) also the

............ QUOTE (herblife @ Jul 5 2008, 01:11 PM) *

Sorry for going off topic before...but the problem is not my home page..my home page is fine...my problem is with my categories.....I want the header tags that I insert for each category in the admin section to appear on my category pages in my store...not the page title from my index/home page.....because that is what im getting when I go into every category in my store....

Members in this forum told me to get what im looking for to install Ultimate SEO and meta tags....but I have Ultimate SEO and your Header Tags installed so I thought that would be enough....

Others have pointed out here that the text entered for the home page will also show up on the category pages. That is on the list of things to change. In the meantime. you can delete the text you have entered for the home page and check the include default boxes. That might get you closer to what you want.

Jack ........

Well at the end of the day it is not working with categorys. I think a simple change in the language php file is the answer

John

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

I can't see the question with all of the above but if you are using the header tags file in the languages directory, you are not using Header Tags SEO so you either need to post in the Header Tags Controller thread for support or install this contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I can't see the question with all of the above but if you are using the header tags file in the languages directory, you are not using Header Tags SEO so you either need to post in the Header Tags Controller thread for support or install this contribution.

Jack

sorry my problem is the catagorys the code' are is not showing

Jack

sorry my problem is the category the code' are is not showing

Say again is there a problem with category or is this my mistake????

If the categories aren't showing (I assume you meant the titles and meta tags for the categories), then you should follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the last few pages to try to isolate the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Again I do not really understand your answer I have updated from.... HeaderTags V2.6.3 .... Header Tags SEO V 3.0

I do not get the meta tags ,keywords, desription, in the catagory php

cab you advise ( working perfectlly with the product but not working with catagory????

Jack, thanks, a great mod.

NOTE: My site has been modified quit a bit!

I have the HT SEO 3.0.4. I have not done the admin side yet. On the catalog side - I have a minor question. I know this issue has to do with catalog/index.php. On the catalog listing page, the category name has disappeared. You will notice here.

I believe the original osc had three areas that had

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

Now I have only left which is located near bottom of file. So am wondering I edit the wrong ( <td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>. I have gone back of my backups to check this out. Nothing looks out the ordinary.

I like another menber (POST #115) has modified the header to almost a new look. I modified the header to fit this code into the includes/header.php. This refers to #7 in catalog instructions.

This is the section of code:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>
    <td class="headerCart" align="left"><script language="Javascript" src="https://seal.godaddy.com/getSeal?sealID=164489410802e7a6709127112c483e0c317d1d02873105850361790"></script></a></td>
<td class="headerShoppingCart" align="right"><b><u>Your Cart Contains:</u></b><br><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link('shopping_cart.php')?>" class="headerCart"><font color="yellow"> <?php echo $cart->count_contents()?> items<br>Sub Total: <?php echo $currencies->format($cart->show_total()); ?></font></a><font color="yellow">
 </tr>
 <tr> <?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>
   <td colspan="2" valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'osc_dark/logo4_C.jpg', (tep_not_null($header_tags_array['logo_text']) ? $header_tags_array['logo_text'] : STORE_NAME)) . '</a>'; ?></td>
   <?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

</tr>
<tr>
	<td colspan="2" class="breadcrumbarea"><?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></td>
</tr>
</table>

So what is the purpose of this piece of script?

Thanks.

blr044

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>
    <td class="headerCart" align="left"><script language="Javascript" src="https://seal.godaddy.com/getSeal?sealID=164489410802e7a6709127112c483e0c317d1d02873105850361790"></script></a></td>
<td class="headerShoppingCart" align="right"><b><u>Your Cart Contains:</u></b><br><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link('shopping_cart.php')?>" class="headerCart"><font color="yellow"> <?php echo $cart->count_contents()?> items<br>Sub Total: <?php echo $currencies->format($cart->show_total()); ?></font></a><font color="yellow">
 </tr>
 <tr> <?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>
   <td colspan="2" valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'osc_dark/logo4_C.jpg', (tep_not_null($header_tags_array['logo_text']) ? $header_tags_array['logo_text'] : STORE_NAME)) . '</a>'; ?></td>
   <?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

</tr>
<tr>
	<td colspan="2" class="breadcrumbarea"><?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></td>
</tr>
</table>

So what is the purpose of this piece of script?

It allows you to change the text that appears in the logo when it is moused over.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I guess I spoke a little too soon regarding the catalog listing page. Category title is there now.

But another issue has arrived. In the content area, there is now a column which displays the category name and in second column is as it was before the changes. I know this has something to with the HEADING_TITLE....

Looked it over three times, but am missing something. Would appreciate some help please.

Thanks.

blr044

Hi Jack I have upgraded from 2.6 to 3.0

Jack

Regarding : meta tags

keywords :

In version 2.6.3 there is a php file installed in .../includes/languages/english with version HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.0.4_1 there are no instructions to uninstall so the file is still there I can not get the header tags to work with catagorys My question is this a problem on with my install or is this a bug in the seo HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.0.4_1 have you got this working with the catagory php?????