• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Gloria,

STS stands for the Simple Template System contribution for osCommerce. If you do not know what it is, then it is most likely that you do not have it installed. Jack only mentioned that because in order for Header Tags SEO to work properely with STS, you would need to follow a slightly different installation path.

Well no I dont have either installed...could I install STS even with the contribution I mentioned and still have the same look of my store....

Well no I dont have either installed...could I install STS even with the contribution I mentioned and still have the same look of my store....

Gloria,

I think Jack would appreciate keeping this thread dedicated to issues related to Header Tags SEO. The STS support thread can be found using the link in my signature below (STSv4 Support Forum).

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I have the the above text typed into my default header tags and in my index page....and Can you explain what STS and BTS is?? Does it have something to do with my store look?? because I did install this contribution for my store look http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5957 or is STS and BTS something I have to install because I havent installed neither on of them :blush:......sorry for my ignorance in all of this.....
If you have that text listed for the index.php file in admin->Header Tags SEO->Page Control, then the text will show up on the home page, which is what you said it is doing. So, what is the problem again?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If you have that text listed for the index.php file in admin->Header Tags SEO->Page Control, then the text will show up on the home page, which is what you said it is doing. So, what is the problem again?

Jack

Sorry for going off topic before...but the problem is not my home page..my home page is fine...my problem is with my categories.....I want the header tags that I insert for each category in the admin section to appear on my category pages in my store...not the page title from my index/home page.....because that is what im getting when I go into every category in my store....

Members in this forum told me to get what im looking for to install Ultimate SEO and meta tags....but I have Ultimate SEO and your Header Tags installed so I thought that would be enough....

Edited by herblife

Jack,

I didn't even noticed first, but later somebody noticed that my right column somehow not on a right side, but under contents, right before footer when opening product_info.php.

I start to look what's going on and only noticed that it's hapenning whenever I add code in a product_info.php as it says in line 285 of Install_Catalog.TXT.

<?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>
     <tr>
      <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
      <td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo TEXT_VIEWING; ?> 
      <?php echo '<a title="' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'], 'NONSSL') . '"/# ' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '">' . $header_tags_array['title']; ?></a></td>
     </tr>
     <?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

above

</table></form></td>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->

When I open product_info.php let say in a dreamweaver it shows right column on right place though.

Can you please advice where too look the answer?

Thanks and happy July 4th!

Computers777dotcom

I'm still trying to get to work thise mod.

Now I think the problem is in thise error:

Permissions settings for the C:/xampp/htdocs/one/includes/header_tags.php file appear to be incorrect. Change to 777

Shop is now on localhost, so the permision is 777, but I still get thise error.

Sorry for going off topic before...but the problem is not my home page..my home page is fine...my problem is with my categories.....I want the header tags that I insert for each category in the admin section to appear on my category pages in my store...not the page title from my index/home page.....because that is what im getting when I go into every category in my store....

Members in this forum told me to get what im looking for to install Ultimate SEO and meta tags....but I have Ultimate SEO and your Header Tags installed so I thought that would be enough....

Others have pointed out here that the text entered for the home page will also show up on the category pages. That is on the list of things to change. In the meantime. you can delete the text you have entered for the home page and check the include default boxes. That might get you closer to what you want.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

I didn't even noticed first, but later somebody noticed that my right column somehow not on a right side, but under contents, right before footer when opening product_info.php.

It's a problem with how you installed the code or how your page is laid out. I suggest uninstallinng all of the changes for that file and adding them one at a time to find the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm still trying to get to work thise mod.

Now I think the problem is in thise error:

Shop is now on localhost, so the permision is 777, but I still get thise error.

The checking code doesn't work for Windows servers. There is an option to turn it off in admin->Configuration->Header Tags SEO.

Jack.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It's a problem with how you installed the code or how your page is laid out. I suggest uninstallinng all of the changes for that file and adding them one at a time to find the problem.

Jack

Thanks for reply!

That's exactly what I did.

The code I showed you is the last change for a product_info page and the one that does mess my right column.

Computers777dotcom

Hi Jack

Thanks a lot for your reply and support.

In the last two days I have edited my 600 products and 25 categories with your brilliant Contribution. It was a lot of work but I hope, google will reward it! ;)

Now the only thing missing is the category description and keywords for the main index.php. But I saw, this is on your to do list. (I hope first on your list :D )

What I still didn't found out yet, is the point with "SEE MORE". I just can't find anything about this. What can you see more with it???

regards from switzerland

Lexus3

Edited by Lexus3

What I still didn't found out yet, is the point with "SEE MORE". I just can't find anything about this. What can you see more with it???
It's a link for the search engines, not the visitors to your site. It just adds a link to the product page and the search engines count that, even though it is on the same page.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

do you have any idea what can be wrong when I add that piesce of code into product_info.php?

I'm talking about my problem with right column, you saw it earlier.

whenever I add the code bellow, my right column somehow appears under contents, not on a right side how it suipposed to be

<?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?> <tr> <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo TEXT_VIEWING; ?>  <?php echo '<a title="' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'], 'NONSSL') . '"/# ' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '">' . $header_tags_array['title']; ?></a></td> </tr> <?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

Thanks for any ideas.

Computers777dotcom

Jack,

do you have any idea what can be wrong when I add that piesce of code into product_info.php?

I'm talking about my problem with right column, you saw it earlier.

whenever I add the code bellow, my right column somehow appears under contents, not on a right side how it suipposed to be

<?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?> <tr> <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo TEXT_VIEWING; ?>  <?php echo '<a title="' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'], 'NONSSL') . '"/# ' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '">' . $header_tags_array['title']; ?></a></td> </tr> <?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

Thanks for any ideas.

As already answered, there is a mistake on the page. Try installing a standard products_into file and making hte change to that. It should work, but you would then have to edit it to match your design.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Please explain what this means. Are you referring to the products page or page control page in admin?

Jack

you know in the admin where it displays what files you can add meta tags to, well test.php shows up there and i am able to add the tags and they're staying stored in the database but when the page loads it doesnt load the meta tags, all it shows is TITLE

i dont know what else i would need to add to make it work, every other page works, however i did notice that if i took specials.php and made a copy called specials2.php both showed up in the admin but only specials.php's meta tags work... its the same file and one works but the other doesnt... any ideas?

you know in the admin where it displays what files you can add meta tags to, well test.php shows up there and i am able to add the tags and they're staying stored in the database but when the page loads it doesnt load the meta tags, all it shows is TITLE

i dont know what else i would need to add to make it work, every other page works, however i did notice that if i took specials.php and made a copy called specials2.php both showed up in the admin but only specials.php's meta tags work... its the same file and one works but the other doesnt... any ideas?

Specials isn't a good file to use for testing since it is a special case. Try making a copy of the privacy page, assuming the original one works. As for the test.php page, are you sure you have the header tags code in the <head> section of that file? If you look in the includes/header_tags.php file, is there an entry for test.php? If not, are the permissions on the includes/header_tags.php file the same as on the images directory?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

it's me again, you know, the guy with wrong placed right column...:)

I checked again:

I took a virgin clean product_info.php file from RC2 package and made changes as it was instructed in HT SEO 34012.

I upload page after every change to see what's happening. Right after I made last change the right columns moved under contents, so it is not on a right side, but bellow, before the footer. I'm not sure what cause of it. I removed last change and it went back on a correct place. I didn't even noticed any change in a header title or anything when I removed last change, but probably it is somewhere behind a scene.

I use some other modes as you can see in my signature, but only FWR popup menu mode makes some small change on that page. I checked if FWR mode cause of it, but no, it's fine.

I assume that probably somewhere is a bug which may be seen only in some conditions or something, I don't know.

Oh, something else: in Install_Catalog.txt it reads:

NOTE: This is optional. It will add an info box on the product pages with keyword

loaded text from the product page. This will increase the keyword density for

that page, which should help with its position. If you don't want to use this

option, there is an option to turn it off in admin->Configuration->Header Tags SEO.

I didn't find that option in my Admin>Configuration

I only have Header Tags SEO menu under Tools which allows me to have Page Control and Fill Tags. (and it works fine)

I'm not sure, now I think, probably I didn't install something?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Computers777dotcom

I didn't find that option in my Admin>Configuration

I only have Header Tags SEO menu under Tools which allows me to have Page Control and Fill Tags. (and it works fine)

I'm not sure, now I think, probably I didn't install something?

That's added by the sql changes. It may have failed due to the group ID Header Tags uses already being present. In that case, you have to edit the database changes so they use a different group ID. This was gone over recently here in the thread so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Specials isn't a good file to use for testing since it is a special case. Try making a copy of the privacy page, assuming the original one works. As for the test.php page, are you sure you have the header tags code in the <head> section of that file? If you look in the includes/header_tags.php file, is there an entry for test.php? If not, are the permissions on the includes/header_tags.php file the same as on the images directory?

Jack

yes, i made a copy of privacy.php also and when i click 'view result' in header tags admin for the title it says "404 Not Found" instead of what is in the database.

in includes/header_tags.php there is this

// test.php

case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_TEST) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_TEST)):

$header_tags_array = tep_header_tag_page(FILENAME_TEST);

break;

but the same thing happens, it saves the meta tags in the db but it doesnt display them when i click 'view result' it just says "404 Not Found"

[root@boxen includes]# ls -alh header_tags.php

-rwxrwxrwx 1 apache psacln 17K Jul 7 15:44 header_tags.php

it seems like everything should work if the other pages work but as soon as i change the name of a page or try to make a new page from scratch it just cant seem to pull the info from the db, yet it can somehow save it

but the same thing happens, it saves the meta tags in the db but it doesnt display them when i click 'view result' it just says "404 Not Found"

[root@boxen includes]# ls -alh header_tags.php

-rwxrwxrwx 1 apache psacln 17K Jul 7 15:44 header_tags.php

it seems like everything should work if the other pages work but as soon as i change the name of a page or try to make a new page from scratch it just cant seem to pull the info from the db, yet it can somehow save it

It's saying it can't find the page so you have, apparently, something setup incorrectly with that page. But that doesn't have anything to do with Header Tags so you will need to post the problem in the general forum.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It's saying it can't find the page so you have, apparently, something setup incorrectly with that page. But that doesn't have anything to do with Header Tags so you will need to post the problem in the general forum.

Jack

I don't believe it is a general problem. The only thing I am working with is Header Tags. I have tried on 3 different installations of oScommerce and no matter which site I am on it will not allow me to just make a simple whatever.php page that will show the meta tags. Is there something in here that would require me to make changes to another file in oscommerce so that header tags can recognize it? I tried adding a define statement in filenames.php but that didnt seem to fix my problem either.

That's added by the sql changes. It may have failed due to the group ID Header Tags uses already being present. In that case, you have to edit the database changes so they use a different group ID. This was gone over recently here in the thread so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

I found out that somehow one record was not inserted into DB. I inserted it now and missing menu appears in the configuration file.

But main reason of my post still is that right column moves to the bottom if I make last suggested change in the product_info.php page. So, for now I just leave it without last change and it seems to work without it. Also I noticed now that if I change Display Column Box to true right column moves to bottom too, contents movesunder left column, only product picture stays on place as I remember.

Very strange.

Thanks,

Mike

Computers777dotcom

I don't believe it is a general problem. The only thing I am working with is Header Tags. I have tried on 3 different installations of oScommerce and no matter which site I am on it will not allow me to just make a simple whatever.php page that will show the meta tags. Is there something in here that would require me to make changes to another file in oscommerce so that header tags can recognize it? I tried adding a define statement in filenames.php but that didnt seem to fix my problem either.
The new page has to be added correctly and have the Header Tags code in it. Since you mention that you are just now making a change to filenames.php, I have to think it is not setup correctly. But, either way, the code works fine in all of the shops I tested here. So it is something in your setup but not something I can handle here.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons