• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Sorry, I don't follow what you mean when you say it will clear everything...? I have only one test product in my store right now as this is still a "fresh install" of OSC. I have looked at the configuration group ID and title through phpmyadmin and it doesn't appear to have an entry for header tags at all, only the default OSC configurations and my newly added SEO URL's.

Thanks again

When you use the uninstall script, it removes everything in the database related to Header Tags. That shouldn't be a problem since they are easily rebuilt. If there isn't a group for Header Tags, then you will have to run the sql file to add that. I don't understand why it would have been overwritten like that though. All you can do is try it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Nevermind. The question seems to be answered in the first page, but you never changed it in your package.

Fixed code

Actually that code was fixed shortly after that post but I just found in checking it that I introduced another error when changing that section of code for another problem. So in includes/header_tags.php, this line
	 case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE)): $filename = FILENAME_PRODUCT_WRITE;   break;

should be changed to

case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE)): $filename = FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE;   break;

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Header Tags SEO and Header Tags controller does basically the same, but Header Tags SEO is the newest version with continued support.

Thank you Nick! I thought so but wanted to make sure. ;)

These 3 can give you urls like that...

- Search Engine Friendly Urls

- SEO-G

- NIMMIT SEF

NIMMIT SEF looks pretty simple to install and I like the URL address.

Would Ultimate SEO URL's have any benifit over NIMMIT SEF?

Sorry for asking this question here. :blush:

Just in case this info is needed:

Host running MySQL 5, PHP 5 with FastCGI on Linux x86_64, Apache 2.2.8, Shared SSL.

I can not turn on - "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)" in the Admin Panel

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

It does not replace Ultimate SEO urls.

It does replace header tags controller.

It will work with Ultimate SEO urls

Drop the header tags controller 2.6.3 from your list and use this header tags SEO mod instead. It is based off of 2.6.3

If your using the dynamicsitemap with the option to create the xml sitemaps from the admin, then you can drop the google sitemap generator and submit your xml generated sitemaps to google via google webmaster tools account.

Spiders.txt is a Spiders.txt, you should have one.

All product is good to have, and there is also an all categories somewhere. I use them both.

The header tags seo is really worth the install time. Its freaken great. I have it up on a demo here: http://demo.nxlcart.com/ Look at the page title, then hover over the logo and read the alt text, then look at the breadcrumb name, then the pages heading title, then the currently viewing text below everything else, PLUS the alt text echoed on every social bookmark icon, and the images alt text. That is a lot of keyword use in one page. A lot. I think it adds a lot of needed weight to a page.

I went a lil overboard and added the currently veiwing: text to most pages including categories, topics, manufactures, authors, newsdesk categories and information pages. I couldnt help it. Its worth every bit of work and helps give every page importance.

Thanks a lot G.L. :)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Hi, nice contrib!

But i think i have a lilte problem:

In my product_info.php there is no productname and no manufacturers name in the title.

My title appears like: Product: - -

Also the Text "Currently viewing:" is no working, there ist nothing after the text.

In the header_tags_seo.php i've writen the "Product:" text in the title field and in the "Meta Tag Information" from the product are also filled out.

In the Category browsing everything works well.

How can i change my problem -has anyone an idea or the same problem?

Edited by IrOnGaTe

Hi, nice contrib!

But i think i have a lilte problem:

In my product_info.php there is no productname and no manufacturers name in the title.

My title appears like: Product: - -

Also the Text "Currently viewing:" is no working, there ist nothing after the text.

In the header_tags_seo.php i've writen the "Product:" text in the title field and in the "Meta Tag Information" from the product are also filled out.

In the Category browsing everything works well.

How can i change my problem -has anyone an idea or the same problem?

If you are using STS you need to read back throuhg this thread for how to use it with that and the part about Currently Viewing not working. If you don't, then it sounds like a mistake in the installation.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

When you use the uninstall script, it removes everything in the database related to Header Tags. That shouldn't be a problem since they are easily rebuilt. If there isn't a group for Header Tags, then you will have to run the sql file to add that. I don't understand why it would have been overwritten like that though. All you can do is try it.

Jack

I thought it was strange as well. I did run both uninstall and install sql files and things are beautiful and working great! Whatever it was it seems to be fixed now. I really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks again

Hi

Can you give a newbies guide to this installation. For instance on a new installation do you just copy the files from the 'New catalogue folder' or do you have to make other file adjustments. Tried installing it both ways and ended up losing my website completley. backed everything up first so no real damage. All i have really managed to do is to load the sql file - that was sucessful. Help Please !!

Hi

Can you give a newbies guide to this installation. For instance on a new installation do you just copy the files from the 'New catalogue folder' or do you have to make other file adjustments. Tried installing it both ways and ended up losing my website completley. backed everything up first so no real damage. All i have really managed to do is to load the sql file - that was sucessful. Help Please !!

Have you tried reading the install instructions?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Have you tried reading the install instructions?

Jack

Hi Jack

Yes I have read the instructions . The first part guides how to update the sql file before moving on to catalog installation. On reading this file it states that a new installation can simply upload files from the catalog for new shop only quote;

NOTE: If you have a clean shop, you can just copy all of the files in the

directory named

catalog_for_new_shop_only

You will still need to make some of the following changes.

Which of the 'following changes' would apply 1 - 10? or all of them..... this is my confusion do you load all the catalog files AND make the changes or just load the new catalog files.

Hi Jack

Yes I have read the instructions . The first part guides how to update the sql file before moving on to catalog installation. On reading this file it states that a new installation can simply upload files from the catalog for new shop only quote;

NOTE: If you have a clean shop, you can just copy all of the files in the

directory named

catalog_for_new_shop_only

You will still need to make some of the following changes.

Which of the 'following changes' would apply 1 - 10? or all of them..... this is my confusion do you load all the catalog files AND make the changes or just load the new catalog files.

For a new shop, uload the files from the directory that matches your version. Then proceed to the Install_Catalog.txt file. If the file mentioned in the instructions was uploaded, you don't need to do that edit. There shouldn't be any edits required for the admin section.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hey Jack, Im still getting this annoying little message in my admin => Found Missing Tags:

Products table has 1 items with missing meta tag information..... and in my HTS- fill tags I get this => TEXT_MISSING_TAGS

Product - ID => 34, Language => 1, Name =>

when I select => HEADING_TITLE_SEO_SHOW_MISSING_TAGS

box....but I deleted that product...so wouldnt it be safe to say that that message is not going to effect me no longer i.e that product not being located by the search engines???

And I did do all the modification that you have suggested in earlier post......

Edited by herblife

Hi, I have just attempted an installation of this and came across a couple of problems.....

The SQL update worked fine, problems started when making the changes in Install_Catalog.TXT

I could not find these in index.php

=============================================

FIND (Around line 78)

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

</tr>

FIND (Around line 247)

?>

<td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

FIND (Around line 298)

<td align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $image, HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

In product_info.php I can't find

FIND (around line 102)

<td class="pageHeading" valign="top"><?php echo $products_name; ?></td>

<td class="pageHeading" align="right" valign="top"><?php echo $products_price; ?></td>

and there are more that I cannot find......

I had someone re-style my OSC site with my graphics etc so maybe they have made some significant changes that will not allow me to use this mod? I really need to get the keyword/SEO stuff sorted out.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Nathan

Hey Jack, Im still getting this annoying little message in my admin => Found Missing Tags:

Products table has 1 items with missing meta tag information..... and in my HTS- fill tags I get this => TEXT_MISSING_TAGS

Product - ID => 34, Language => 1, Name =>

when I select => HEADING_TITLE_SEO_SHOW_MISSING_TAGS

box....but I deleted that product...so wouldnt it be safe to say that that message is not going to effect me no longer i.e that product not being located by the search engines???

And I did do all the modification that you have suggested in earlier post......

You should never see capital letters like that. It means there is a problem in the inststallation and needs to be fixed. You need to go back through the instructions since something was missed or done incorrectly.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, I have just attempted an installation of this and came across a couple of problems.....

The SQL update worked fine, problems started when making the changes in Install_Catalog.TXT

I could not find these in index.php

FIND (Around line 78)

They probably installed a pre-made template for you. Those are nortorius for ripping out and rearranging sections of oscommerce code. Header Tags can still be installed but it isn't something that can be handled via the forum so you will need to figure it out on your own or ask/pay someone to help you.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

They probably installed a pre-made template for you. Those are nortorius for ripping out and rearranging sections of oscommerce code. Header Tags can still be installed but it isn't something that can be handled via the forum so you will need to figure it out on your own or ask/pay someone to help you.

Jack

OK, can you recommend anyone that could help.. my main requirement is to get the keywords and tag setup so google will index the site better. I also want to get the site re-designed as I am not 100% happy with the design.... http://qldwaterfilters.com.au

If anyone can help me please send me a message and we can discuss further.

thanks

Nathan

Hi Jack

Followed the installation instructions to the letter. Uploaded all the files into the correct directories from the catalog folder, and altered all files as instructed from the catalog txt. Double checked everything. I do not get "New Home Page Title," when I look at my homepage. There is no difference to my website at all. I have not loaded the admin section yet as I do not get "New Home Page Title," and the instructions are not to continue untill I have this. Any pointers?

OK, can you recommend anyone that could help.. my main requirement is to get the keywords and tag setup so google will index the site better. I also want to get the site re-designed as I am not 100% happy with the design.... http://qldwaterfilters.com.au

If anyone can help me please send me a message and we can discuss further.

PM'ed.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Followed the installation instructions to the letter. Uploaded all the files into the correct directories from the catalog folder, and altered all files as instructed from the catalog txt. Double checked everything. I do not get "New Home Page Title," when I look at my homepage. There is no difference to my website at all. I have not loaded the admin section yet as I do not get "New Home Page Title," and the instructions are not to continue untill I have this. Any pointers?

No, you don't provide any information to help with. I sugesst reading back through the thread for troubleshooting options.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack

I just completed the install catalog and I have missing page headings which I know is normal but there is one thing I am concerned about. Just above the graphic of my header on my home page there is a box with a red cross in it and beside it is what used to be my page title. Here is the url: www.homelandart.ie

Also, there appears to be images in odd places. For example: here below the image of the painting the 100% money back graphic should be to the right hand margin

Do you mind if you have a look and let me know if you think I messed up?

Thank you.

Edited by dgriff

Jack

I just completed the install catalog and I have missing page headings which I know is normal but there is one thing I am concerned about. Just above the graphic of my header on my home page there is a box with a red cross in it and beside it is what used to be my page title. Here is the url: www.homelandart.ie

Also, there appears to be images in odd places. For example: here below the image of the painting the 100% money back graphic should be to the right hand margin

Do you mind if you have a look and let me know if you think I messed up?

Thank you.

The first problem is because the code in the includes/headers.php file was replaced without changing the name of the image to what you were using. You will have to replace the oscommerce.gif text with whatever the name of your image is. The second is due to some mistake on the product page, probably the changes near the bottom of the file. You will need to redo those one at a time to find the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, I just wanted to know is there a reason why I can not see my social bookmark icons anywhere on my site....I looked at others stores and I see there icons.......I have my images out of there original folder in /images......

Hi, I just wanted to know is there a reason why I can not see my social bookmark icons anywhere on my site....I looked at others stores and I see there icons.......I have my images out of there original folder in /images......
Is the option for displaying them in admin enabled?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons