• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

product info content all within a form?

adiwillow

hi all....

just had a thought this morning.. its never really hit me before but most of the content on OSC has its main content within a form tag. Ie all product text is within a form on every product info page.

Now, how well do we think search engines read content within a form tag? i'm guessing they see it and index it, but logic would say they give it a very low priority compared to standard formatted text..

anyone know?

The search engines don't have a problem reading information contained in a form. They just can't cause it to submit, which is as it should be.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

i find that really difficult to believe jack.. i'm not doubting you, i'm just not sure.

Search engines specifically look for formatted text .. we all know that which tag we place the copy in has an impact on the way it is indexed and how the page performs. Placing content in a tag which is meant for something other than text cannot be good for your seo. I cant think of a much worse tag than to put content in that a form tag, apart from maybe an image tag :)

I know that you can see the copy when you look at a search engines cache of the page, but that really doesnt mean anything, it just means its parsed the page. There are tags within that page that search engines will ignore.. how do we know that the form tag isnt one of them? What possible use to a search engine is a form? Surely they would read it, but dismiss it as unimportant. Personally, its a risk i'm not wanting to overlook...

I cannot see ANY reason to have the main copy of the page within a form tag.. it simply doesnt need to be there. Does it harm your search results? who knows.. logic blatantly says YES ! i'd say it certainly doesnt help them, and i'll be getting rid of them. if i get some definitive results i'll try and post them here..

Try this:

- open a new shop (fresh install) and add your products to it

- install the Header Tags Controller and run Fill Tags

- wait about a month or two

Your product pages will be listed, and most likely well. This is the typical scenario of a new shop installing Header Tags. If you need more proof than that, then I doubt you will find it here.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

true.. but that just means they've been listed with enough content to keep them out of the supplemental, but the content could well come from the infoboxes and the template.. it doesnt necessarily mean its come from the copy... Besides, were talking MUCH further down the line than header tags..

and, even if an indexed page has come from the content parsed within the form tag, what i'm saying is that less importance may have been placed upon the text because it is in that tag. When the search is done and matches are made against page content, i'm sure google etc will favour the site with text inside a 'p' tag over text inside a form tag. Thats gotta make sense hasnt it?

• 1 month later...
now removed content from form tag.. results? highly favourable.. :)

which are these results?

I love oscommerce and OS software! I'm not a programmer, I'm only a learning boy and a translator :) I love full contribution packages!

• 1 month later...
the thread is about the fact that osc puts the page content in a form tag, which hinders SEO. I took the content out of the form tag and got better serps.

Maybe off point a bit, but there are contribs here that turn your .php extension to .html, I`ve converted pages from .html to .php & seen improved results.

Have you tried iether way and if so what results did you get?

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

things like that wont make a difference sam.. although you say you got better results, the search engines will index php extensions in just the same way as .html. It wont affect rankings.

What probably made the difference in your case is that i'm guessing you installed one of the SEO mods which rewrite the dynamic url's to something more readable, in which case this would create a marginal advantage that you may have seen, although in reality its very very small.

There is a HUGE amount that can be done to OScommerce in terms of SEO, far too much to go into here unfortunately.

the thread is about the fact that osc puts the page content in a form tag, which hinders SEO. I took the content out of the form tag and got better serps.

Please provide efficacy data.

things like that wont make a difference sam.. although you say you got better results, the search engines will index php extensions in just the same way as .html. It wont affect rankings.

What probably made the difference in your case is that i'm guessing you installed one of the SEO mods which rewrite the dynamic url's to something more readable, in which case this would create a marginal advantage that you may have seen, although in reality its very very small.

There is a HUGE amount that can be done to OScommerce in terms of SEO, far too much to go into here unfortunately.

It can`t have been any SEO mod as there's none, the site I did this on is not actually a osC site, its an old html one where updates were a problem so I added a sql dBase and changed pages to php to read data, visually there is no change to pages & text content is unaltered.

Changes seen on targeted keywords were previously near bottom of page one (Google) now consistantly at on v near position one.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

• 2 weeks later...
It can`t have been any SEO mod as there's none, the site I did this on is not actually a osC site, its an old html one where updates were a problem so I added a sql dBase and changed pages to php to read data, visually there is no change to pages & text content is unaltered.

Changes seen on targeted keywords were previously near bottom of page one (Google) now consistantly at on v near position one.

if only increasing serps were that easy sam :) seriously.. theres another reason for your increases. .html and .php will make no difference whatsoever, as both are treated equally.

Please provide efficacy data.

i cant.. they were minor product keywords and not part of my targeted campaign. I checked them for a month but didnt make a note as i would my other terms.

Think about it, google and others will parse the page and all within it if it is in a form tag, we know that as all you need to do is check the cache. BUT why have legitimate spiderable and targeted text within this tag? Form content is of no interest or use to visitors whatsoever, all id does is send the content to the relevant script. It makes sense that any search engine will give less priority to anything within g a<form> tag than say a <p> tag.

There is no reason whatsoever to have all product content within a form tag, OSC works fine with the text outside the form.

i cant.. they were minor product keywords and not part of my targeted campaign. I checked them for a month but didnt make a note as i would my other terms.

Think about it, google and others will parse the page and all within it if it is in a form tag, we know that as all you need to do is check the cache. BUT why have legitimate spiderable and targeted text within this tag? Form content is of no interest or use to visitors whatsoever, all id does is send the content to the relevant script. It makes sense that any search engine will give less priority to anything within g a<form> tag than say a <p> tag.

There is no reason whatsoever to have all product content within a form tag, OSC works fine with the text outside the form.

Can you share how you put the text outside of the form tags?

• 2 months later...

Archived