• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Remove Last name from Product reviewer

mrserv0n

I get constant complaints that when a customer posts a review it shows there last name! I cannot figure out how to change this.. I don't mind if it says there for name or ideally Ex : Nick from Texas or just Nick

instead of Nick Jones.

where can I change this?

I get constant complaints that when a customer posts a review it shows there last name! I cannot figure out how to change this.. I don't mind if it says there for name or ideally Ex : Nick from Texas or just Nick

instead of Nick Jones.

where can I change this?

in product_reviews_write.php on or about line 48:

look for the line that starts with tep_db_query("insert into "

on that line, modify the code:

tep_db_input($customer['customers_firstname']) . ' ' . tep_db_input($customer['customers_lastname'])

to something like

tep_db_input($customer['customers_firstname']) . ' ' . tep_db_input(substr($customer['customers_lastname'],1,1) . '.')

this should change it to "Nick J." instead of "Nick Jones".

the customer's state is stored in a different table, so getting that information would be just a little bit more involved. let me know if you really want that and i can figure that out for you

in product_reviews_write.php on or about line 48:

look for the line that starts with tep_db_query("insert into "

on that line, modify the code:

tep_db_input($customer['customers_firstname']) . ' ' . tep_db_input($customer['customers_lastname'])

to something like

tep_db_input($customer['customers_firstname']) . ' ' . tep_db_input(substr($customer['customers_lastname'],1,1) . '.')

this should change it to "Nick J." instead of "Nick Jones".

the customer's state is stored in a different table, so getting that information would be just a little bit more involved. let me know if you really want that and i can figure that out for you

This will do just fine Dave! Thanks for taking the time!

This will do just fine Dave! Thanks for taking the time!

When I add your 1,1 code I get this error upon writing the review

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, null given in /home/content/m/r/s/mrserv0n18/html/includes/functions/database.php on line 132

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/m/r/s/mrserv0n18/html/includes/functions/database.php:132) in

/home/content/m/r/s/mrserv0n18/html/includes/functions/general.php on line 33

My line 132 is return mysql_real_escape_string($string, $$link);

And my line 33 is header('Location: ' . $url);

The review then does Show up and works, it just says the first name though, which is ok, but is there a way to get rid of this error up submission of the review even though it still goes through?

When I add your 1,1 code I get this error upon writing the review

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, null given in /home/content/m/r/s/mrserv0n18/html/includes/functions/database.php on line 132

sorry for the fat fingers, that should have been:

tep_db_input(substr($customer['customers_lastname'],0,1)

see if that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just having this same problem. The easiest way for me to make the change was to just change line 29 in the same file from:

$customer_query = tep_db_query("select customers_firstname, customers_lastname from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS . " where customers_id = '" . (int)$customer_id . "'");

to:

$customer_query = tep_db_query("select customers_firstname," . TABLE_CUSTOMERS . " where customers_id = '" . (int)$customer_id . "'");

• 7 months later...

Just for anyones future reference. I was trying to do this myself and came up with an easier way.

There are 2 lots of similar code that look like:

in product_reviews_write.php. First is around line 48, other is a bit futher down.

Just edit the code by adding // before 'lastname'

e.g

tep_db_input($customer['customers_firstname']) . ' ' . tep_db_input($customer['customers_//lastname'])

Do this for both the 2 bits of coding in this page, and then when you write a new review from then on, only the first name will be shown.

Hope this helps.

Archived