• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

It's too bad you don't have your own subforum here so you could sticky that.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Which php file contains the code for pages that are linked from category links? For example, /index.php?cPath=21 - I believe this is the product listing page.

I want to remove the "Let's see what we have here" and the manufacturer drop down box.

Thank you

Which php file contains the code for pages that are linked from category links? For example, /index.php?cPath=21 - I believe this is the product listing page.

I want to remove the "Let's see what we have here" and the manufacturer drop down box.

Thank you

There are several different methods to removing the title. I suggest looking in the STS User Manual as I have an entire section devoted to it (Dynamic Page Titles).

Remove the manufacturer's box tag from your template.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Remove the manufacturer's box tag from your template.

From which template file do I remove the manufacturer's box tag? I have index.php_1.html with $content in it, but there is no manufacturer's box tag.

Hi!

I am trying to install STS 4.5.8 on a fresh install of 2RC2a and I have a question.

I'm at 2.4 Modify osCommerce files and it says to modify the file located here: "catalog\includes\classes\boxes.php"

but the file in that directory online is called box.php - there is no boxes.php.

Do I need to delete box.php after I upload the STS file boxes.php?

I could be doing something wrong or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, so please point (or shove) me in the right direction if that be the case.

Thank you!

Hi!

I am trying to install STS 4.5.8 on a fresh install of 2RC2a and I have a question.

I'm at 2.4 Modify osCommerce files and it says to modify the file located here: "catalog\includes\classes\boxes.php"

but the file in that directory online is called box.php - there is no boxes.php.

Do I need to delete box.php after I upload the STS file boxes.php?

I could be doing something wrong or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, so please point (or shove) me in the right direction if that be the case.

Thank you!

Nevermind, I was in the admin directory not the regular directory.

Important Posts for the STS newbie:

Post #3755: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1226986

Post #4326: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1303555

Post #4974: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1361366

Post #3772: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1227769

Post #3757: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1227006

Please review the above for insight on how the Simple Template System allows you to make templates for pages, categories, home page, products and infoboxes.

Hope this was helpful,

Bill, can't thank you enough for these. I'm creating my own bookmark folder just for useful posts on this huge thread.

I have a strange issue.

One of my categories doesn't display it's sub categories. The category is Measure (http://www.woodwerks.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33)

If you look at the category menu, you can plainly see there are 6 sub categories and items in 5 of those. However the Measure page doesn't display the standard subcategory links and a "what's new" box like all the other categories do.

You can see a working category (Joinery) here: (http://www.woodwerks.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=67)

What could possibly be causing Measure to display differently. It's like the $content tag is pulling a different template.

Thanks for your help,

Boom

Well, I feel like I've done my duty trying to search for the answer to my quandry, but I couldn't find it so here goes...

I am at the part where I want to customize the file that is supposed to be located here: /catalog/includes/sts_template.html

I do not have a file named sts_template.html in my public_html/includes/ directory.

I tried making changes to public_html/includes/sts_templates/full/sts_templates.html, but none of the changes I made showed up after I uploaded my edited file.

Did I do something wrong? If not, where is the file located that I should be customizing? How do I get my changes to take effect?

If the answer is readily available online somewhere, please send me a link to it. If this somehow has not yet been explained, please oblige me.

THANK YOU!!!

Bill, can't thank you enough for these. I'm creating my own bookmark folder just for useful posts on this huge thread.

I have a strange issue.

One of my categories doesn't display it's sub categories. The category is Measure (http://www.woodwerks.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33)

If you look at the category menu, you can plainly see there are 6 sub categories and items in 5 of those. However the Measure page doesn't display the standard subcategory links and a "what's new" box like all the other categories do.

You can see a working category (Joinery) here: (http://www.woodwerks.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=67)

What could possibly be causing Measure to display differently. It's like the $content tag is pulling a different template.

Thanks for your help,

Boom

Does the subcategory have any products in it? You may have modified your shop to not display empty categories or you may have the enable/disable category contribution installed?

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Well, I feel like I've done my duty trying to search for the answer to my quandry, but I couldn't find it so here goes...

I am at the part where I want to customize the file that is supposed to be located here: /catalog/includes/sts_template.html

I do not have a file named sts_template.html in my public_html/includes/ directory.

I tried making changes to public_html/includes/sts_templates/full/sts_templates.html, but none of the changes I made showed up after I uploaded my edited file.

Did I do something wrong? If not, where is the file located that I should be customizing? How do I get my changes to take effect?

If the answer is readily available online somewhere, please send me a link to it. If this somehow has not yet been explained, please oblige me.

THANK YOU!!!

It will be located in your template folder, whatever you have that set as in the STS Default Module. Also, you want to make sure you did not change the default settings other than the template folder name so that you still have sts_templates.html set as your default template.

your-shop-folder(could be the root)/includes/sts_templates/*your-template-folder*/sts_templates.html

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Does the subcategory have any products in it? You may have modified your shop to not display empty categories or you may have the enable/disable category contribution installed?

5 of the 6 subcategories had items in them, and I added an item to the 6th to see if that was causing it. no go. The only clue I have, is that at one point, there WAS a single item in the Measure top level category, and it showed up on the Measure category page. (mind you, the sub category links still didn't)

It was a mistake that the item was in the top level, and after I moved it, it still seemed broke.

Could I of messed something up by putting an item in the top level category?

I don't know what the enable/disable category contribution is, and it wasn't in my downloaded mods folder, so it's a safe bet that I don't have it installed. I looked in the admin for the "do not display empty categories" option, and couldn't find it anywhere. Can you give me directions? I'll of course be looking in the forums for the answer to that as well.

Thanks Bill,

Boom

It will be located in your template folder, whatever you have that set as in the STS Default Module. Also, you want to make sure you did not change the default settings other than the template folder name so that you still have sts_templates.html set as your default template.

your-shop-folder(could be the root)/includes/sts_templates/*your-template-folder*/sts_templates.html

Hi, Bill!

Thanks for the reply!

I do have sts_templates.html set as my default template, but after I upload that file with changes I've made, the changes do not show up online.

Of course, after I ask I THINK figured it out.

When I looked at my storefront I was seeing the message "This is the template for index.php page. You can find it here: /includes/sts_templates/full/index.php.html." I decided to make changes to index.php.html to see what would happen.

After I uploaded my modified version of index.php.html, the changes I made showed up online.

If that is not right, then I still need help.

Hi, Bill!

Thanks for the reply!

I do have sts_templates.html set as my default template, but after I upload that file with changes I've made, the changes do not show up online.

Of course, after I ask I THINK figured it out.

When I looked at my storefront I was seeing the message "This is the template for index.php page. You can find it here: /includes/sts_templates/full/index.php.html." I decided to make changes to index.php.html to see what would happen.

After I uploaded my modified version of index.php.html, the changes I made showed up online.

If that is not right, then I still need help.

Jessica,

A few posts up from yours is a post labled...Important Posts for the STS Newbie. Please read up on those links and it will explain how STS selects the various templates to use.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Jessica,

A few posts up from yours is a post labled...Important Posts for the STS Newbie. Please read up on those links and it will explain how STS selects the various templates to use.

Great, thanks! I checked out the post titled "TIP: Here is a quick rundown of common template names" which seems the most relevant to the point I'm at regarding configuring my store and STS.

It says that index.php.html is the Default Category template used for all category pages that do not have a specific template page created for it - if you didn't have this template, STS would use sts_template.html.

So, just to make sure I understand this okay, if I deleted index.php.html, then the changes I made to sts_template.html would show up?

If I keep index.php.html, is that the file I should be customizing for the overall layout of the store?

I guess I am unsure about that because it is the default category template. I suppose that on my homepage it is showing the category "Top" and that's probably why the changes I make to index.php.html take precedence over changes made to sts_template.html.

Please let me know if I am on the right track here or not.

Thanks for helping with this. I appreciate it very much.

~ Jess

I'm not sure where to post this but I have installed STS 4.5.8 and it looks great but the problem I have is that the Category specific templates are not workin on the product_info.php pages.

I can get them to work if I put the cPath in the URL (my site doesn't have this in the product_info.php url)

I don't want to have URLs with the cPath in them as it can result in duplicate content issues becasue one product page can have multiple URLs.

I want to be able to have category specific templates that some how know which category the product is in and not need this by the URL (same issue I assume for people with SEO Magic as the URL doesn't have cPath)

My site: www.mysite.com/product_info.php?products_id=300

to get it to work with category specifc templates it would have to be: www.mysite.com/product_info.php?products_id=300&cPath=2 (I don't want to have to have the cPath in the URL)

I will be so thankful for anyone who can help me!!!

Leslie

Great, thanks! I checked out the post titled "TIP: Here is a quick rundown of common template names" which seems the most relevant to the point I'm at regarding configuring my store and STS.

It says that index.php.html is the Default Category template used for all category pages that do not have a specific template page created for it - if you didn't have this template, STS would use sts_template.html.

So, just to make sure I understand this okay, if I deleted index.php.html, then the changes I made to sts_template.html would show up?

If I keep index.php.html, is that the file I should be customizing for the overall layout of the store?

I guess I am unsure about that because it is the default category template. I suppose that on my homepage it is showing the category "Top" and that's probably why the changes I make to index.php.html take precedence over changes made to sts_template.html.

Please let me know if I am on the right track here or not.

Thanks for helping with this. I appreciate it very much.

~ Jess

Jess,

If you only created a single template, you would need to have at least sts_templates.html. It would used for every page.

If you wanted more flexibility in your design, you would then create a specific template for that page. For example, a template for the home page would be index.php_0.html. The home page would use this while all other pages used sts_templates.html.

The posts in the links I provided go into greater detail.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I'm not sure where to post this but I have installed STS 4.5.8 and it looks great but the problem I have is that the Category specific templates are not workin on the product_info.php pages.

I can get them to work if I put the cPath in the URL (my site doesn't have this in the product_info.php url)

I don't want to have URLs with the cPath in them as it can result in duplicate content issues becasue one product page can have multiple URLs.

I want to be able to have category specific templates that some how know which category the product is in and not need this by the URL (same issue I assume for people with SEO Magic as the URL doesn't have cPath)

My site: www.mysite.com/product_info.php?products_id=300

to get it to work with category specifc templates it would have to be: www.mysite.com/product_info.php?products_id=300&cPath=2 (I don't want to have to have the cPath in the URL)

I will be so thankful for anyone who can help me!!!

Leslie

Even though I totally disagree with your logic regarding the cpath and duplicate content, STS will work just fine with contributions that correctly modify the URL. You would need to make the template name in the same manner as any other osCommerce shop (index.php_12.html for example) and STS will know which template to use.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I guess I'm not very good at describing this. I'm not sure why my installation doesn't have the cPath in the url for the product_info.php pages and I've had it this way for eons so there are links to my site and those product pages that don't have the cPath in the product_info.php pages so I'm more looking for some way to have the sts template script look to the categorie the product is in and not check the URL.

Does this make sense? I love this script and just want the ability to modify the templates for the product_info.php pages by category and have it stay even if there isn't a cPath in the url for the product_info.php page which often happens if you click the product page from advance seach or from the new products or come at it from some other way other than the category listing. (for example)

http://demo.oscommerce.com/product_info.php?products_id=26

I'd like not to have to create page for each product but rather to create 1 template for all the products in a category that will always get called even if they come at the product via another way.

i'm wondering if this is possible.

I love this script and thank you for your time!

Leslie

I guess I'm not very good at describing this. I'm not sure why my installation doesn't have the cPath in the url for the product_info.php pages and I've had it this way for eons so there are links to my site and those product pages that don't have the cPath in the product_info.php pages so I'm more looking for some way to have the sts template script look to the categorie the product is in and not check the URL.

Does this make sense? I love this script and just want the ability to modify the templates for the product_info.php pages by category and have it stay even if there isn't a cPath in the url for the product_info.php page which often happens if you click the product page from advance seach or from the new products or come at it from some other way other than the category listing. (for example)

http://demo.oscommerce.com/product_info.php?products_id=26

I'd like not to have to create page for each product but rather to create 1 template for all the products in a category that will always get called even if they come at the product via another way.

i'm wondering if this is possible.

I love this script and thank you for your time!

Leslie

Yes, this is how STS works. Have you tried it?

It does not matter if the link comes from product_info or where ever, STS knows when to use the correct template.

Did you turn on the STS Index Module in the admin?

product_info.php_c23.html

• = Product template for all products in a specific category (23 in this example – change to the category ID needed)

So, if I were to click on a link such as mydomain.com/product_info.php?products_id=31 which happens to be in category 23, STS would look for what template to use in the following order:

1. Check for a main template based on the product ID, for example product with ID 31:

1.1 Use product_info.php_31.html if exists.

2. Check for category specific main template, based on the category ID where the product is located. (Example below with a product located in category 11, located in category 23)

2.1 Use product_info.php_c23_11.html if exists.

2.2 Use product_info.php_c23.html if exists.

2.3 Use product_info.php.html if exists.

3. No specific template found, use default template like defined in default module (by default it is sts_template.html)

Now that we have a main template, look if there is a content template, based on product ID and the category where it belongs: example with product ID31:

(STS looks in the includes/sts_templates/*Template-Folder*/content folder)

2. Check for category specific content template, based on the category ID where the product is located. (Example below with a product located in category 23, located in category 11)

If no content template is found then do not use any, $content will come from the original catalog/product_info.php .

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Yes, this is how STS works. Have you tried it?

It does not matter if the link comes from product_info or where ever, STS knows when to use the correct template.

Did you turn on the STS Index Module in the admin?

product_info.php_c23.html

• = Product template for all products in a specific category (23 in this example – change to the category ID needed)

So, if I were to click on a link such as mydomain.com/product_info.php?products_id=31 which happens to be in category 23, STS would look for what template to use in the following order:

1. Check for a main template based on the product ID, for example product with ID 31:

2. Check for category specific main template, based on the category ID where the product is located. (Example below with a product located in category 11, located in category 23)

3. No specific template found, use default template like defined in default module (by default it is sts_template.html)

Now that we have a main template, look if there is a content template, based on product ID and the category where it belongs: example with product ID31:

(STS looks in the includes/sts_templates/*Template-Folder*/content folder)

2. Check for category specific content template, based on the category ID where the product is located. (Example below with a product located in category 23, located in category 11)

If no content template is found then do not use any, $content will come from the original catalog/product_info.php .

Thank you, Thank you, thank you for this...I realize there is a problem with my installation. I just assumed everyone had this experience.

I have STS turned on but alas here is what is happening

if you go to : http://www.schtickers.com/catalog/product_...05&cPath=70 it will use the correct category template product_info.php.htm_c70

but if you go to http://www.schtickers.com/catalog/product_...products_id=605 doesn't get the correct template. Product 605 is only listed in category 70. Any ideas of what could be causing this or where I might look to correct this issue.

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your time..

Also what is supposed to happen if a product is linked to say 3 different catgories

Thanks,

Leslie

I'm coming along pretty well with getting my site laid out how I want thanks to STS and the support here. :)

Now I'm looking into customizing the content elements differently on the category pages and the sub-category pages.

In the STS User Manual, I have read section 3.11 "Create content templates for any page," but it makes no sense to me. It's saying to do things with scripts, logic, and arrays, which are all foreign terms to me.

I've also found the following posts which kind of relate to what I'm trying to do:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1325856

change $Content, Help plx

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...t&p=1179348

And I've read this document:

Infobox Templates

for use with the Simple Template System

Version 4.2

(STS v4.2)

User Manual

But I am still confused.

Is there a step-by-step explanation out there that will help me figure out how customize the content elements to do the following:

1. Remove the "New Products" box on the Category pages (the pages that shows for Hardware, Software, and DVD Movies)

2. Rearrange the way the products are shown in the content element when viewing a sub-category page such as on Hardware > Graphics Cards

I've installed the STS Module "Product info" which I'm pretty sure is the first step, but what's next?

I really have tried to find out how to do this by searching the information already out there, but I could really use some hand-holding on this one because what I'm finding just goes over my head.

Thank you!

Nvm again managed to after playing again :D

ADD TO BOTTOM OF /includes/modules/sts_inc/product_info.php BEFORE ?>

$sts->start_capture();
print '<input type="text" name="quantity" value="1" maxlength="2" size="2">';
$sts->stop_capture ('quantbox');
$template_pinfo['quantbox']= $sts->template['quantbox'];

Then in includes\application_top.php

FIND:

$cart->add_cart($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $cart->get_quantity(tep_get_uprid($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']))+1, $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']);

REPLACE WITH:

$cart->add_cart($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $cart->get_quantity(tep_get_uprid($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'], $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']))+(empty($_POST['quantity']) ? 1 : intval($_POST['quantity'])), $HTTP_POST_VARS['id']);

Hope it helps.

It helped me! Thank you, Herb!

This puts a quantity input textbox into which shoppers can type the amount of a product they would like to add to the cart.

And, for the benefit of others, the placeholder this code creates is $quantbox$

Edited by kikajess

I have a problem with content breaking. I have 2 stores, 1 using OSc/MS2 an older version of STS (some "coder" has hacked many things to pieces for whatever reason) and the other installed clean with OSC/RC2 and STS 4.5.8. Anywho...i initially tested my STS template under the old cart, and got most things to format and appear correctly. (some text css and such were needing to be tweaked etc but nothing to major so far as I can tell).

After I installed the clean RC2 and STS 4.5.8 on a separate dir and essentially copied over my template files to the includes/sts_templates/mytemplate, things got screwy. page formatting broke (yes i updated all links to files and css so that wasnt an issue). direct catagory links dont work anymore (custom catagory images linked using index.php_X_X.html format that was also used on the other site and worked) another issue was the content being displayed on the main index, and where that info is gather from (or what tag in what file tells it what to display) i have removed the /TEXT TO DISPLAY/ blah blah from the /includes/languages/english/index.php and now it shows "whats new" parsed output. i will track that down im sure. The MAJOR things that i dont get where they are broken is on the product_info.php.html content page that i created. It worked fine and is the same template file i used from the other site, as are the sts_template.html and the index.php_0.html. CSS for both are the same (well except for the paths of course,lol) The product info page on the ew site breaks the page and has the appearance of of the col_left and col_right flipping sides and a few other things being pushed around. Images used and the same as are the template files, so i can only assume there is a variable in one of the new STS scripts, that is affecting page output, but i cannot track it down. This is really holding me up. Yeah, i could just clean up what i can on the old site, but I want to use not only the updated OSC cart but also STS, along with other contributions that have a RC2+ req. For feature reasons and security reasons. Going cross-eyed looking at file comparisions. Any insight into possible content display breaking related to STS (or where i might look)

I will do whatever is needed to get this fixed so i can get back to designing and also make my customer happy :)

Thanks in advance for any info you can lend!

_MATT

It helped me! Thank you, Herb!

This puts a quantity input textbox into which shoppers can type the amount of a product they would like to add to the cart.

And, for the benefit of others, the placeholder this code creates is $quantbox$

Does anybody ever take the time to see if the solution is already available in the STS Power Pack site? Why reinvent the wheel?

See link in my signature below as well as in the STS User Manual for the STS Add-on Site (STSv4 Power Pack).

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I have a problem with content breaking. I have 2 stores, 1 using OSc/MS2 an older version of STS (some "coder" has hacked many things to pieces for whatever reason) and the other installed clean with OSC/RC2 and STS 4.5.8. Anywho...i initially tested my STS template under the old cart, and got most things to format and appear correctly. (some text css and such were needing to be tweaked etc but nothing to major so far as I can tell).

After I installed the clean RC2 and STS 4.5.8 on a separate dir and essentially copied over my template files to the includes/sts_templates/mytemplate, things got screwy. page formatting broke (yes i updated all links to files and css so that wasnt an issue). direct catagory links dont work anymore (custom catagory images linked using index.php_X_X.html format that was also used on the other site and worked) another issue was the content being displayed on the main index, and where that info is gather from (or what tag in what file tells it what to display) i have removed the /TEXT TO DISPLAY/ blah blah from the /includes/languages/english/index.php and now it shows "whats new" parsed output. i will track that down im sure. The MAJOR things that i dont get where they are broken is on the product_info.php.html content page that i created. It worked fine and is the same template file i used from the other site, as are the sts_template.html and the index.php_0.html. CSS for both are the same (well except for the paths of course,lol) The product info page on the ew site breaks the page and has the appearance of of the col_left and col_right flipping sides and a few other things being pushed around. Images used and the same as are the template files, so i can only assume there is a variable in one of the new STS scripts, that is affecting page output, but i cannot track it down. This is really holding me up. Yeah, i could just clean up what i can on the old site, but I want to use not only the updated OSC cart but also STS, along with other contributions that have a RC2+ req. For feature reasons and security reasons. Going cross-eyed looking at file comparisions. Any insight into possible content display breaking related to STS (or where i might look)

I will do whatever is needed to get this fixed so i can get back to designing and also make my customer happy :)

Thanks in advance for any info you can lend!

_MATT

Matt,

You have some incorrect methods even if they did work in the older STS. For one, you should not link to categories using index.php_X_X.html format as it will cause other issues in your shop (such as session ID loss, empty cart, etc.).

Proper link format:

Post# 2917: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1162574

You need to completely remove the older STS. STSv3 and below is not compatible with STSv4. This includes removing all STS defines in any of the configure.php files (this is most likely your biggest problem).

You need to convert all of your STS tags from your old templates to the new STSv4 format. STSv4 does not use "block" in the building of the tags as STSv3 and below did. STSv4 and above does not slow the site down like the older STSv3 and below scripts did. This is not difficult.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions