• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

Hi guys,

Please forgive me if this is an idiotic question or has been answered numerous times - or in numerous places - before (I really HAVE looked for the answer, but don't find it). I'm trying to design a template in my graphics program for use with STS. What size should I make it? Right now I've got it at 1000 pixels wide by 800 pixels high. No particular reason. I would like (I think) the design to be of the type where there's a background, then the main "screen" smaller on top of it. I'm going to have a drawn illustration in the header, so there can be no stretch or distortion (not that distortion is ever a good thing). Before I go on with the design, can you please tell me what dimensions I ought to have the thing be, as a whole, so I don't have to redo? And if there's anything else, tips etc, that I need to know to avoid stretching (or, conversely, left-right scroll bars) later?

Thank you!

Samantha

The 2 options are to either design your site as a fixed width or as variable width to stretch across the entire browser window.

If your design is fixed width (as you seem to be suggesting), you need to consider the minimum monitor resolution that the site will be seen on. I try not to discount anybody from seeing my sites, so I generally design with an 800 x 600 monitor in mind. For this reason it's is common practice to design fixed width sites at about 760px wide.

I'm fairly new to osCommerce so I'm not sure how easily it lends itself to fixed height. Given that the content is dynamic (and therefore variable lenght) I would recommend making the height 100% rather than a fixed amount.

Hope that helps.

Hi Bkellum

I just though I'd re-ask the question directly as I can't find the answer elswhere:

I've installed STS and everything appears to work correctly except for the content on the index page.

• I've created the index page as per the instructions (includes > sts_templates > myTemplate > index.php.html), using the $content variable/placeholder for the main content area.

• I've created the conent to replace the $content variable (includes > sts_templates > myTemplate > content > index.php.html

The problem is that osCommerce is ignoring the new content and using the original content instead. Please can you tell me why it doesn't work?

I have found a work around by editing the content in the root > index.php file, but this seems wrong given that I have already installed STS?

Thanks

1) I'm not sure if this is what you want to do but for example i wanted another page just with text on - say an about us page. This can work exactly the same as the shipping page that comes with oscommerce. I basically took the shipping page and duplicated it calling it about_us.php for example. You then can make a link to it via the information box etc - just go and edit the information box file to create another link in there (using the same method - using 'tep_href_link' this will pass on the SID). If you want to link to it from say a footer navigation bar or a top navigation bar that is in your template file you need to go about it the same way - using the tep_href_link function. If though you atre forcing cookies you do not need to pass on the session ID abnd don't need the tep_href_link function.

2) To create links that worked in my template file for the header navigation I created extra placeholders in the sts/general.php file. Following the same method as is already there for a simple url link you can create another link still using the tep_href_link function. I think what i did then was make the header navigation just using text (i.e home) and then gave that text a link - the link being the placeholder, such as #home. I can double check all this is if you want me to, I'm not siure that is the best way to do it but it seems to work, i.e getting the php links (as you need to use tep_href_link function) into the html template.

Becki

1)

Hi,

I think you may be able to help me.

I want to add links in my navigation bar, I've searched for other questions on these and you seem to have had success. Like you I'm using Dreamweaver.

I think I need to add a place holder in my general.php, as you say above, but I don't know the correct syntax - could you let me know. Also I read somewhere that it's not the general.php that should be used but a different one for your own place holders.

If I wanted to add say, about us, would I add:

$sts->template['about us'] = '<a href=' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . ' class="headerNavigation">' .

I'm not sure if this is for am image or just text, and I'm not sure where you specify the link, is it like normal in dreamweaver or should it be somewhere in the above statement?

Thanks

Lotti

Hi Bkellum

I just though I'd re-ask the question directly as I can't find the answer elswhere:

I've installed STS and everything appears to work correctly except for the content on the index page.

• I've created the index page as per the instructions (includes > sts_templates > myTemplate > index.php.html), using the $content variable/placeholder for the main content area.

• I've created the conent to replace the $content variable (includes > sts_templates > myTemplate > content > index.php.html

The problem is that osCommerce is ignoring the new content and using the original content instead. Please can you tell me why it doesn't work?

I have found a work around by editing the content in the root > index.php file, but this seems wrong given that I have already installed STS?

Thanks

Ric, see this post above.

Also, adding index.php.html to the content folder will do nothing.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi,

I think you may be able to help me.

I want to add links in my navigation bar, I've searched for other questions on these and you seem to have had success. Like you I'm using Dreamweaver.

I think I need to add a place holder in my general.php, as you say above, but I don't know the correct syntax - could you let me know. Also I read somewhere that it's not the general.php that should be used but a different one for your own place holders.

If I wanted to add say, about us, would I add:

$sts->template['about us'] = '<a href=' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . ' class="headerNavigation">' .

I'm not sure if this is for am image or just text, and I'm not sure where you specify the link, is it like normal in dreamweaver or should it be somewhere in the above statement?

Thanks

Lotti

Lotti, you may benefit from the "Add New Pages Using STS" contribution that could be downloaded from the STS4 Power Pack site (see link in my signature below). You can either use/follow the example given in that contribution.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi,

I need help again... I can't figure it out my self. :blush:

I have a special template for my product site....

The categorybox is to the left and plain text to the right.

When my customers click on a category the box dissapear and the products are shown....

To go back the customers have to click backwards in the browser... I don't want that.

I want the categorybox to be there all the time. How do I do this? <_<

Best regards

Jessica

http://rcmaffian.se/oscommerce_st/catalog/products.php

Can you help me please?

Jessica Fuchs

Can you help me please?

Check your templates to be sure you have included the catagory box STS tag in each of them. It appears you have an index template that does not have this.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Check your templates to be sure you have included the catagory box STS tag in each of them. It appears you have an index template that does not have this.

But I don't want to have the categorybox on my indexpage. That's why the box isn't there.

//Jessica

Jessica Fuchs

But I don't want to have the categorybox on my indexpage. That's why the box isn't there.

//Jessica

Jessica, you mentioned that you wanted the categorybox there all of the time? I guess I do not understand what you are wanting to do.

If you mean that you want a "homepage" that does not include the categorybox, then simply create a index.php_0.html template to be used as your home page and do not add the categorybox to that page. Then add the categorybox to all of your other template pages so that it will be there where you want it.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi guys,

First, my disclaimer is that I'm brand new to this stuff, so please forgive any truly stupid questions. ;)

Okay. I have STS v4.5 installed over a fresh install of osC. I think it's working. (I haven't done too much except poke around trying to learn a bit of how it works.) My question is about custom design. I have a page designed in my graphics program that I want to use -- talking here about true design, NOT layout of boxes etc. Now I have no clue what to do. I know that I need to slice it up, slicing the header, each button, each graphic, etc, but then what? What do I name each one - does it matter? I can assign a URL when slicing, am I supposed to? What should it be? Or is that linking done in STS somewhere? How? Where? Basically, I need a moron-proof step-by-step for making my completed design usable in STS and HOW. Can anyone help, please?? I'm sure this is way easier than I think, but right now it's looking quite daunting.

Thanks so much!

Samantha

Hi Every one,

My First post in sts Forum although I was using sts for a while without any change, just updated to sts 4.5.2

web site address is www.zeeshop.co.uk

Now I want to change look of site, I want to change info boxes display, i tried to follow Instructions from Help file which is part of 4.5.2 installation package. Cant change Header of infobox.

Even when I follow This procedure :

"It is possible to create templates for individual infoboxes. For example, if you want the “Information” infobox to be different from the others, create a separate template for this infobox by creating the following files:

• /includes/sts_templates/TEMPLATE_NAME/boxes/infobox_information_header.php.html (optional)

• /includes/sts_templates/TEMPLATE_NAME/boxes/infobox_information.php.html "

I edited these two files to a look I wanted and saved in this folder

/includes/sts_templates/TEMPLATE_NAME/boxes/

It is showing Header (Information) under gray background other than a background I wanted.

Please Advise me How Can i change background color of

$headertext , $content

Will be very gratefull for response in this issue, I knew it may be a common question answered before, if some one direct me to this.

Thanks and regards.

zee

Hi All,

Further on my last post for which I am still waiting for response. I tried to find file where exactly I can change header background of Infoboxes.

WIl be very thankfull if some one answer me.

thanks

zee

Hi All,

Further on my last post for which I am still waiting for response. I tried to find file where exactly I can change header background of Infoboxes.

WIl be very thankfull if some one answer me.

thanks

zee

Zee, Since you are using STSv4.5.2, then you can template the infobox as long as you have infobox templates set to "true" in the STS admin module.

To edit your infoboxes:

• Create an infobox template in the /includes/sts_templates/TEMPLATE_NAME/boxes folder following the naming syntax as described in the STS User Manual.
  • Use standard HTML in combination with edits in the stylesheet.css file.

NOTE: The stylesheet.css file controls some of the features of your infobox. Find the following code and make the changes that you need:

.infoBox {
 background: #b6b7cb;
}

.infoBoxContents {
 background: #f8f8f9;
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
 font-size: 10px;
}

Hope this helped,

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi,

I need help again... I can't figure it out my self. :blush:

I have a special template for my product site....

The categorybox is to the left and plain text to the right.

When my customers click on a category to box dissapear and the products are shown....

To go back the customers have to click backwards in the browser... I don't want that.

I want the categorybox to be there all the time. How do I do this? <_<

Best regards

Jessica

http://rcmaffian.se/oscommerce_st/catalog/products.php

You can create a main template for the product info page, in includes/sts_templates/full/product_info.php.html and place $categorybox on it. Place $content where you want your product info content template to be displayed.

- Chris

Hello!

I've understood the part about the $content tag inserting code from the original file (i.e. index.php) and to be able to modify it I have to modify the original file. Basically what I want to do is get rid of the table-data and replace it with div-tags. When I delete the table data between <!-- body_text //--> and <!-- body_text_eof //--> in any file and replace it with div-tags it's as if STS loses track of where to get the code from.

Let's say I want something like this in privacy.php:

<!-- body_text //-->
<div class="content">
<h1><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></h1>
<p><?php echo TEXT_INFORMATION; ?></p>
</div>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->

instead of the usual:

<!-- body_text //-->
<td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
	  <tr>
		<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>
		<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_specials.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
	  <tr>
		<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_INFORMATION; ?></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" class="infoBox">
	  <tr class="infoBoxContents">
		<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
		  <tr>
			<td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
			<td align="right"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_continue.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE) . '</a>'; ?></td>
			<td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
</table></td>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->

That would be brilliant, but it doesn't work...

I've built my STS-template with div-tags and it would work fine if I could just get STS to insert the right code. Where do I modify what code STS puts in there? I should be able to do this, right?

Tell me if you don't understand my question and I'll try to put it differently!

Thanks for being so supportive and helpful!

Edited by bjorny

After many requests...

STSv4.5.2 and HTCv2.6.3 Bundle has just been released. :lol:

You can find this contribution in the STS4 Power Pack site (see my signature below). If you do not see it there, give the moderators some time to accept (should be less than 24 hours).

Enjoy,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Lotti, you may benefit from the "Add New Pages Using STS" contribution that could be downloaded from the STS4 Power Pack site (see link in my signature below). You can either use/follow the example given in that contribution.

Thanks for that.

I've messed up my install and so I'm starting again from scratch, I'll be sure to install this contribution.

Should I install version v4.5.2 or should I install v4.3.2 with HTC?

Thanks

Lotti

Thanks for that.

I've messed up my install and so I'm starting again from scratch, I'll be sure to install this contribution.

Should I install version v4.5.2 or should I install v4.3.2 with HTC?

Thanks

Lotti

Sorry another question, I wanted to install the contribution to show subcategories - does this work OK with STS.

I messed up my original install by installing the optional products contribution with STS, Skittles has kindly offered to work out how to get the two contributions working together so will wait for that before I try installing that contribution again.

Thanks

hey,This is probably an easy one for you but i didn't get it.... :blush:

How can i add the form(the one in contact us) to other page?

i don't want to make a link to contact.php cause this page is edit,

i want the form itself.

Is there an option?

I'll appreciate the help

Racheli

Edited by sefimor

hey,This is probably an easy one for you but i didn't get it.... :blush:

How can i add the form(the one in contact us) to other page?

i don't want to make a link to contact.php cause this page is edit,

i want the form itself.

Is there an option?

I'll appreciate the help

Racheli

please :'(

please :'(
This is not really related to STS but I think you could use some STS features to get what you want.

Try this:

Use my "Add Pages Using STS" addon contribution in the STS4 Power Pack download site (link in my signature below) to create a copy of the original "contact_us.php" file. Be sure to rename this copy to something different such as contact_us_copy.php.

Now, you can create a STS Template of the new page you just created (contact_us_copy.php) and call this template "contact_us_copy.php.html". This will keep the osC form intact and functional and allows you to do what you want with this page.

Hope this helped you out,

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

This is not really related to STS but I think you could use some STS features to get what you want.

Try this:

Use my "Add Pages Using STS" addon contribution in the STS4 Power Pack download site (link in my signature below) to create a copy of the original "contact_us.php" file. Be sure to rename this copy to something different such as contact_us_copy.php.

Now, you can create a STS Template of the new page you just created (contact_us_copy.php) and call this template "contact_us_copy.php.html". This will keep the osC form intact and functional and allows you to do what you want with this page.

Hope this helped you out,

So simple but yet so effective,

I wish u had your way of thinking... :rolleyes:

Thank you!

You can create a main template for the product info page, in includes/sts_templates/full/product_info.php.html and place $categorybox on it. Place $content where you want your product info content template to be displayed.

- Chris

Ok, thanks. This is what I've done BUT I haven't placed the $content there... I think that's my problem.

Thank you once again!!

Jessica Fuchs

I've tried to make a template for my pop up images as well...

I know that Bill K have made a site where he had several images in the popup window. I can't find that site again and are now wondering how he did that?

I think my popup window is showing correctly but I now want to add more images. How do I do that?

Also I have added $back $next and $count to my popup windows but this isn't showing. Any clue why?

Jessica Fuchs