• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

Ok, found a post about adding this reset($ar); to files. It worked sorry to bother ya'll :) I'm still learning and it think it will take me some time :) I'll be glad when I can post my own site.

George

Hi, All,

Need a help. Afer I installed STS V4.4 I got this message:

Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory.

Then I went to .htasscee file I could not figure out what I should do

# $Id: .htaccess,v 1.3 2003/06/12 10:53:20 hpdl Exp $
#
# This is used with Apache WebServers
#
# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to
# the AllowOverride configuration
#
# Example:
#
# <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
#   AllowOverride Options
# </Directory>
#
# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the
# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)
# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet
# Explorer browsers
<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
<IfDefine SSL>
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
</IfDefine>
</IfModule>
# If Search Engine Friendly URLs do not work, try enabling the
# following Apache configuration parameter
#
# AcceptPathInfo On
# Fix certain PHP values
# (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain
# servers)
#
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
</IfModule>

Does anyone know how to?

Thanks,

Charles

Hi, All,

I think for the security reason that register_globals should be off. Why STSV4.4 wants it to be on ????

Thanx

Charles

Charles, was your store working prior to the STS installation? If so, it appears you copied over some files from the "modified_files" folder (in the STS contribution) over files in your store that most likely had the Register Globals contribution applied and therefore deleting the Register Globals contribution code from those files.

My suggestion would be to restore the original files that were copied over and then do a manual installation of STS on those particular files so you will not upset the Register Global modifications.

**TIP** Keep in mind, in order for any osCommerce shop to work with register_globals set to off will need to make some modifications to the stock osCommerce code. This can be done several different ways and is beyond the scope of the STS forum. For example: simple changes in the .htaccess file or global changes to all gets or posts in every file in your store, etc.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Ok - I put in for the DNS change so the old link will no longer work. The site will be at http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com within the next 24-48 hours.
I really like your site layout and colors. Are you using infobox templates for the testimonials box? I like the background image that you are using for that box. Will this background image change dynamically depending upon the amount of text in that box?

Nice site! I love how you are implementing STS! :thumbsup:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Ok, found a post about adding this reset($ar); to files. It worked sorry to bother ya'll :) I'm still learning and it think it will take me some time :) I'll be glad when I can post my own site.

George

Glad you found it George. I wish a new osC release would come out to finally fix this issue. I get emailed almost daily regarding this bug in osC 060817 release.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi all,

I'm interested in modifying infobox contents such as "Please Select" in the manufacturers drop down and the text/layout of the search bar,

"Use keywords to find the product you are looking for.

Advanced Search"

I have yet to find the contributions or info that will help me modify these particulars.

Thoughts?

-Dano

I'm having a bit of difficulty with installing the newest STS4 locally.

This is a Mac, and I use a program called MAMP to control my local Apache server, php, and mySQL. It works exceptionally well for packages like OSC. The only major difference for OSC is that I need to go into .htaccess and set "register globals." At that point, I have a full-fledged OSC running locally and can work with it as I choose.

The only trouble I've run into is with STS. The newest version seems to install correctly (nothing appears broken), but when I go into Admin to enable it, I notice two things:

1) The "install" button is somewhat deformed--it's occupying a wide space and distorting the look of that page;

2) If I click on that "install" button, nothing happens. STS doesn't install, no changes are made.

Am I missing something stupidly obvious? Failing to chmod a folder? Something else?

Unfortunately, reverting back to the immediate previous version is worse--OSC simply Goes Away.

Thanks,

Anne

I'm having a bit of difficulty with installing the newest STS4 locally.

This is a Mac, and I use a program called MAMP to control my local Apache server, php, and mySQL. It works exceptionally well for packages like OSC. The only major difference for OSC is that I need to go into .htaccess and set "register globals." At that point, I have a full-fledged OSC running locally and can work with it as I choose.

The only trouble I've run into is with STS. The newest version seems to install correctly (nothing appears broken), but when I go into Admin to enable it, I notice two things:

1) The "install" button is somewhat deformed--it's occupying a wide space and distorting the look of that page;

2) If I click on that "install" button, nothing happens. STS doesn't install, no changes are made.

Am I missing something stupidly obvious? Failing to chmod a folder? Something else?

Unfortunately, reverting back to the immediate previous version is worse--OSC simply Goes Away.

Thanks,

Anne

Anne, that is really odd. Are you sure that you installed all of the files from the STSv4.4 contribution?

What version of PHP and MySQL does Mamp use? If it is PHP 5, then you should run the 060817 Module Patch on the STS download site (link in my signature below). That would take care of the module not updating after you click on "install".

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Anne, that is really odd. Are you sure that you installed all of the files from the STSv4.4 contribution?

What version of PHP and MySQL does Mamp use? If it is PHP 5, then you should run the 060817 Module Patch on the STS download site (link in my signature below). That would take care of the module not updating after you click on "install".

Hi Bill,

Running PHP 4.4 and MySQL 5.??, which matches up with what I run on my production server. I'll re-install and see what results I get. Will the module patch help with the above configuration? Looks as though I have my choice between PHP4 and 5, but no choice as to the MySQL version.

I'll report back on what happens after the re-install. One of the advantages of developing this locally is that I can do all the experimentation I want/need to.

Thanks,

Anne

Bill, we have to chalk this one up to a "D'oh!"

I re-installed this morning--this time by simply moving all the files rather than copying. STS came up right away, first shot, and allowed me to configure it with no difficulty at all. Sometimes a bit of a rest break can be a Good Thing. :)

Incidentally, you may not have seen my own site with its new STS configuration. You can have a look at it here: http://www.atelier-beads.com . I am as pleased with it as I can possibly be, and especially with the ease under STS of installing the many resource and information pages needed for a site of this nature. Other STS sites in the pipeline include a substantial local bookseller going online for the first time and a baby care/products site which is also basically "bricks and mortar." The current "problem" site has been on OSC since April 2004 and was long due for an update and refresh. They're a wholesaler, and they'll remain online while I do the updates on my new Core Duo.

Thanks and sorry for the false alarm!

Regards,

Anne

I really like your site layout and colors. Are you using infobox templates for the testimonials box? I like the background image that you are using for that box. Will this background image change dynamically depending upon the amount of text in that box?

Nice site! I love how you are implementing STS! :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill! The testimonials background is something I created in Adobe Photoshop. It does repeat vertically to adjust to the amount of text - but isn't quite as clean as I would have preferred (it's hard to get a parchment look that repeats without a noticable line where the repeat happens- LOL).

I ended up using the Infobox Customizer contribution (#1261) as I setup STS v4.2 (later versions weren't out yet) and I couldn't find a way to customize each infobox individually with the Infobox Templates for STS v4.2. It may be my own newness to osC that I didn't find a way to do it with Infobox Templates as this is my first osC site, and STS was the first contrib. I installed on it - LOL

Thanks for the compliments! :)

~Tracy

Hi all,

I'm interested in modifying infobox contents such as "Please Select" in the manufacturers drop down and the text/layout of the search bar,

"Use keywords to find the product you are looking for.

Advanced Search"

I have yet to find the contributions or info that will help me modify these particulars.

Thoughts?

-Dano

In your catalog/includes/languages/english.php file you will find the "Use keywords to find the product you are looking for" text.

Same file - the define ('PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT' bit of text is what sets the "Please Select" in the drop down. You can create anything you want here (but leave the PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT just in case you have another file that calls it for a different infobox) - so you could, for example, say:

define ('MANUFACTURERS_PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT', 'Please select a Manufacturer')

Then open your catalog/includes/boxes/manufacturers.php and change this line:

$manufacturers_array[] = array('id' => '', 'text' => PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT);

To this:

$manufacturers_array[] = array('id' => '', 'text' => MANUFACTURERS_PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT);

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Edited by TracyS

~Tracy

Hello,

Haven't got any replies to this problem yet. Seeking to change infoboxes so that the header of each box links to the page instead of using the $right_arrow. Tried manipulating $headertext but since $headertext contains <td> tags, I cannot simply add a <a> tag around it as the resulting HTML is not formed correctly. I have it now so that the infobox headings link to files such as shopping_cart.php, the links show up in the infobox heading as, for example, 'shopping_cart'. My goal is to get the links showing up like 'Shopping Cart', linking to shopping_cart.php.

Again any help much appreciated.

gaus

Thanks Bill! The testimonials background is something I created in Adobe Photoshop. It does repeat vertically to adjust to the amount of text - but isn't quite as clean as I would have preferred (it's hard to get a parchment look that repeats without a noticable line where the repeat happens- LOL).

I ended up using the Infobox Customizer contribution (#1261) as I setup STS v4.2 (later versions weren't out yet) and I couldn't find a way to customize each infobox individually with the Infobox Templates for STS v4.2. It may be my own newness to osC that I didn't find a way to do it with Infobox Templates as this is my first osC site, and STS was the first contrib. I installed on it - LOL

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Ok - I must correct myself - No - the testimonials background image does not repeat - LOL I made so many of them I forgot which one I ended up using. I instead set the length of characters before it breaks it off in the customer_testimonials infobox and then have the links for the full testimony and additional testimonies in there - :thumbsup:

~Tracy

Hello,

Haven't got any replies to this problem yet. Seeking to change infoboxes so that the header of each box links to the page instead of using the $right_arrow. Tried manipulating $headertext but since $headertext contains <td> tags, I cannot simply add a <a> tag around it as the resulting HTML is not formed correctly. I have it now so that the infobox headings link to files such as shopping_cart.php, the links show up in the infobox heading as, for example, 'shopping_cart'. My goal is to get the links showing up like 'Shopping Cart', linking to shopping_cart.php.

Again any help much appreciated.

gaus

There is a post on how to do this in the Tips & Tricks thread somewhere - but you go through catalog/includes/languages/english.php

For example, the What's New box looks like this when it's changed:

define('BOX_HEADING_WHATS_NEW', '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_NEW) . '">' . 'What\'s New?   »' . '</a>');

Hope that helps :blush:

~Tracy

I know this has got to be a dumb question - but I just can't seem to find this - LOL

Anyone know what bit of code calls the name of the product into the content of the products page? Does it also do the category names on the category pages? I may have removed it at one point as I was using images initially for the category names, but then changed to text and realized I could cut out quite a few category templates if I could just figure out how to add the blasted text for the category name dynamically into the page again - LOL :blush:

Any thoughts on this one ?

~Tracy

Any thoughts on this one ?
Tracy,

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...t&p=1011814

The above link is to a post that I created regarding a dynamic page heading to replace the text "Let's See What We Have Here?" and "What's New" etc. with the name of the category and subcategory page.

Let me know if this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Incidentally, you may not have seen my own site with its new STS configuration. You can have a look at it here: http://www.atelier-beads.com . I am as pleased with it as I can possibly be, and especially with the ease under STS of installing the many resource and information pages needed for a site of this nature. Other STS sites in the pipeline include a substantial local bookseller going online for the first time and a baby care/products site which is also basically "bricks and mortar." ...

Regards,

Anne

Anne, I really liked your site's design. I think if you shared how you did your modifications to your infoboxes would benefit everyone that uses STS.
  • What version of STS are you using?
  • Did you use Infobox Templates in STSv4?
  • Are you using a stock Stylesheet.css file or make any customizations to it?
  • Are you using a single template layout or several specific templates for specific categories, products, pages?

Thanks for sharing and great job on your site! :thumbsup:

I hope others can share what they have done to their shop using STS as well. It would be a wonderful learning experience for everyone! Hint hint. :lol:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

In your catalog/includes/languages/english.php file you will find the "Use keywords to find the product you are looking for" text.

Same file - the define ('PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT' bit of text is what sets the "Please Select" in the drop down. You can create anything you want here (but leave the PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT just in case you have another file that calls it for a different infobox) - so you could, for example, say:

define ('MANUFACTURERS_PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT', 'Please select a Manufacturer')

Then open your catalog/includes/boxes/manufacturers.php and change this line:

$manufacturers_array[] = array('id' => '', 'text' => PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT);

To this:

$manufacturers_array[] = array('id' => '', 'text' => MANUFACTURERS_PULL_DOWN_DEFAULT);

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Thanks again Tracy!

You people are great!

-Dano

Anne, I really liked your site's design. I think if you shared how you did your modifications to your infoboxes would benefit everyone that uses STS.
  • What version of STS are you using?
  • Did you use Infobox Templates in STSv4?
  • Are you using a stock Stylesheet.css file or make any customizations to it?
  • Are you using a single template layout or several specific templates for specific categories, products, pages?

Thanks for sharing and great job on your site! :thumbsup:

I hope others can share what they have done to their shop using STS as well. It would be a wonderful learning experience for everyone! Hint hint. :lol:

Thanks, Bill! :-) I used the version of STS4 that came out with Header Tags Controller, which is also integrated at the site. I didn't use the Infobox Templates--not sure why, but I just sort of customized my own. They're done by completely editing out any title or heading information from the boxes. Those little tabs are actually placed on the template just above the relevant $infobox tag, with just a line break in between. The appearance somehow pleased me better that way. The stylesheet is heavily customized with some new classes, different font colors, sizing, and line spacing. I created a single category template with content template and simply multiplied it by re-naming it for each category--that was easy. The other contrib that's related to formatting is the one that allows you to place products in columns. Each info page is custom-formatted, and here is where STS really shines. It allowed me to present information in what I feel is a readable "one screen at a time" format. That also allowed me to have a real "customer service center" page with all policies, procedures, and other info presented in a readable FAQ format.

I'm no end pleased with the way it's turned out--awfully glad I got it working here on my local UNIX server so I can customize clients' sites in a non-production environment (and make all the goofs I want.) :)

Regards,

Anne

Well - I've got myself good and stuck now - LOL :blush:

I setup a local testing server. I copied all of the files from the live site into the new local test server and used a new backup of my live database to populate my local database.

When I go to my site on localhost though I have a problem. None of the category or product links work. I can view information pages (such as conditions of use) but not any product or category pages.

I went to admin to see if it had to do with STS (I do have Ultimate SEO URL's turned off in the local server) and when I go to Admin/Modules/STS it just has the button to Install. I click the Install button and it does nothing. The site is using the templates though?? Also, if I go to the Header Tags section in my Admin on my local site, and click on the Text Control, it is blank :blink: This is not the case on my live store.

Are there things I need to change in my STS v4.2 w/Header Tags Controller files in order for them to function properly on my localhost? I've been searching through the forums and I haven't yet found anything helpful but I will continue to search while awaiting a reply :blush:

~Tracy

Another note on this - None of the Modules show up in Admin - no Payment, Order Total, STS, Shipping - Nothing! It shows the filepath for them as:

localhost/includes/modules/payment/ for example. I've tried with and without a / before localhost and I still get blank pages :blink:

I'm now comparing my local configuration table with the online configuration table to see if something didn't come through correctly - but if anyone else has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated! :blush:

~Tracy

On this note - NONE of my modules show up as installed in Admin :blink:

The URL it shows is:

localhost/mmherbs/includes/modules/payment/ for example.

Any thoughts on this? :huh:

~Tracy