• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

Hi Bill

I've have updated sts_default.php

I did not realize the bug in the application_top.php bfore. However, I could find those change already made in my file but with different order.

Jason, THAT is the problem...the order. You need to switch those two around as I posted earlier or it will mess up the $messageStack function and give you some problems within your shop, including the image problems among others. :thumbsup: Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hello once again!

...How might I set this up. What files do I need to create/modify? How can I find out my category ID numbers?

The dynamenu is still giving me a little grief, the submenu's are not functioning. Check it out here, and play some PONG!

Dan, how to find the category ID numbers is very simple. View your store in your browser and either place your curser over a category or click on it. If you click on it you will see something like this in the address bar:

http://soundsgoodpro.com/eshop/index.php?cPath=23

The cPath=23 is the category ID.

The product ID is the same way. If you click on a product in that category you will see something like this in the address bar:

http://soundsgoodpro.com/eshop/product_inf...;products_id=58

The products id=58 is the Product ID.

Now, you will use that information to create your templates.

STS can use one template for every page in your shop or you can create a template specific to individual pages in your shop. Its up to you.

If you only want one template, you would set it as the default template and it will be used for every page that does not have a custom template.

STS template structure:

It is best to save your default template file as sts_template.html. Then, you would stipulate this in the STS “Default” module in the admin panel. The “sts_template.html” file would be used for all pages in your shop that you have not created a custom template for.

Now, to answer your question about custom templates for specific pages: First you need to understand how STS “searches” to see if a custom template is available. There is a flow chart in the STS manual to show how this works. As an overview of the process, it works like this:

• If you wanted to create a template for Category 3, which is the “out of the box” osCommerce “Hardware” category, you would create a template and save it as “index.php_3.html”.

• Now if you wanted to create a template for a sub-category within a category you would do the following (using the example above):

Create a template and save it as “index.php_3_9.html” to be used as a template for the “out of the box” category “Hardware” and sub-category “Mice”. Now this template will be used each time a visitor opens up the “mice” sub-category (sub-category 9) in your store. Keep in mind that the template for Category “Hardware” (Category 1) is totally independent of the template you just created for sub-category 9 "Mice".

When creating templates for specific osCommerce pages such as specials.php, login.php, reviews.php, etc., then the format you would use is simply: scriptname.php.html. So the template for specials.php would be specials.php.html and this would be added to your sts_templates/template_folder/.

When it comes to your product pages:

Create One Template for All Products within a Specific Category:

You can have a template for all of your products inside a specific category by adding the category ID to the template name. For example:

Let say you have a category 22 inside category 11, and want all products in category 22 to use the same content template. You have to create a template and name it “product_info.php_c11_22.html” and place it inside the “content” folder (like catalog/includes/sts_templates/full/content/).

Create a Content Template to be used for All Products:

As in the example above, you can create a content template named “product_info.php_c11.html” that would be used for all products inside category 11 INCLUDING sub-categories (unless subcategories have their own template).

Now, as you probably already know, content templates are only for the center of the page. If you want to have a different header/columns/footer for products in a category 22, you have to create a template named “product_info.php_c11_22.html” and place it your template folder (not in the content folder), for example: catalog/includes/sts_templates/full/.

For more detailed information, see chapter 3, sections 6-10 of the STS documentation.

So, as the manual mentions, STS is quite versatile allowing you to keep it "simple" or very complex.

OK. Sorry for such a long post but I hope this helps everyone. :-

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

The dynamenu is still giving me a little grief, the submenu's are not functioning. Check it out here, and play some PONG!

Dan, in my guide above, step 4 controls the "flyout" funtion of the script.

4. You must include the following line of code in each of your templates that will be using the menu (The "footer" should be echoed *just before* the closing </BODY> tag.):

<?php echo $GLOBALS['dmfooter']; ?>

If this does not work, please post in the Dynamenu forum but let us know how things worked out in case I need to modify my instructions above. (my instructions worked for me but who knows??) :thumbsup: Remember to post a follow up. :thumbsup:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Dan, how to find the category ID numbers is very simple. View your store in your browser and either place your curser over a category or click on it. If you click on it you will see something like this in the address bar:

http://soundsgoodpro.com/eshop/index.php?cPath=23

The cPath=23 is the category ID.

The product ID is the same way. If you click on a product in that category you will see something like this in the address bar:

http://soundsgoodpro.com/eshop/product_inf...;products_id=58

The products id=58 is the Product ID.

Now, you will use that information to create your templates.

STS can use one template for every page in your shop or you can create a template specific to individual pages in your shop. Its up to you.

If you only want one template, you would set it as the default template and it will be used for every page that does not have a custom template.

STS template structure:

It is best to save your default template file as sts_template.html. Then, you would stipulate this in the STS “Default” module in the admin panel. The “sts_template.html” file would be used for all pages in your shop that you have not created a custom template for.

Now, to answer your question about custom templates for specific pages: First you need to understand how STS “searches” to see if a custom template is available. There is a flow chart in the STS manual to show how this works. As an overview of the process, it works like this:

• If you wanted to create a template for Category 3, which is the “out of the box” osCommerce “Hardware” category, you would create a template and save it as “index.php_3.html”.

• Now if you wanted to create a template for a sub-category within a category you would do the following (using the example above):

Create a template and save it as “index.php_3_9.html” to be used as a template for the “out of the box” category “Hardware” and sub-category “Mice”. Now this template will be used each time a visitor opens up the “mice” sub-category (sub-category 9) in your store. Keep in mind that the template for Category “Hardware” (Category 1) is totally independent of the template you just created for sub-category 9 "Mice".

When creating templates for specific osCommerce pages such as specials.php, login.php, reviews.php, etc., then the format you would use is simply: scriptname.php.html. So the template for specials.php would be specials.php.html and this would be added to your sts_templates/template_folder/.

When it comes to your product pages:

Create One Template for All Products within a Specific Category:

You can have a template for all of your products inside a specific category by adding the category ID to the template name. For example:

Let say you have a category 22 inside category 11, and want all products in category 22 to use the same content template. You have to create a template and name it “product_info.php_c11_22.html” and place it inside the “content” folder (like catalog/includes/sts_templates/full/content/).

Create a Content Template to be used for All Products:

As in the example above, you can create a content template named “product_info.php_c11.html” that would be used for all products inside category 11 INCLUDING sub-categories (unless subcategories have their own template).

Now, as you probably already know, content templates are only for the center of the page. If you want to have a different header/columns/footer for products in a category 22, you have to create a template named “product_info.php_c11_22.html” and place it your template folder (not in the content folder), for example: catalog/includes/sts_templates/full/.

For more detailed information, see chapter 3, sections 6-10 of the STS documentation.

So, as the manual mentions, STS is quite versatile allowing you to keep it "simple" or very complex.

OK. Sorry for such a long post but I hope this helps everyone. :-

Hi Bill, this is a great post!

One question: I've managed to sort out just about everything but I can't figure out what to name the content page that will show the list of "all products" in a specific category. --you know, the page we're brought to when you click on a category, but before you drill down into any of the specific products.

I've tried calling it index.php_42.html (42 is the category cpath) and putting it in the content folder but no luck. Maybe I need a category template before I can have category specific content? (tried this but didn't work either). I'm sure that i'm just confused about the file name.

When I do get it to work, should I be using the same variables that I've used for my product_info.php.html template?

Everything else works beautifully, I just can't seem to figure out the proper naming for this output.

thanks for all your help!

Sean

I had posted earlier about a problem I was having implementing the HTC portion of STSv42HTS259. I solved that initial issue (stupid me used the wrong file name). Now that it’s fixed, it’s exposed another issue that I can quite solve.

I have a really simple setup. I only have the Default STS module set true.

The default template file is “sts_template.html”

Files for normal template is set to “sts_user_code.php”, which I’ve made no changes to.

My site works just like I want but of course I don’t have any header control.

If I change the Files for normal template to “sts_user_code.php; headertags.php”, my page titles start working per the HTC text entries for my index and category pages, but the product pages go completely blank. I don’t get any errors, they just turn into a blank white page. If I remove headertags.php from the file list, everything returns to normal.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I had posted earlier about a problem I was having implementing the HTC portion of STSv42HTS259. I solved that initial issue (stupid me used the wrong file name). Now that it’s fixed, it’s exposed another issue that I can quite solve.

I have a really simple setup. I only have the Default STS module set true.

The default template file is “sts_template.html”

Files for normal template is set to “sts_user_code.php”, which I’ve made no changes to.

My site works just like I want but of course I don’t have any header control.

If I change the Files for normal template to “sts_user_code.php; headertags.php”, my page titles start working per the HTC text entries for my index and category pages, but the product pages go completely blank. I don’t get any errors, they just turn into a blank white page. If I remove headertags.php from the file list, everything returns to normal.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I should add that when the product pages goes blank, the page title is filled with the URL for the product (ie http://mysite.com/catalog/product_info.php...products_id=33).

I'm using the default headertags.php files with no changes.

...I've tried calling it index.php_42.html (42 is the category cpath) and putting it in the content folder but no luck. Maybe I need a category template before I can have category specific content? (tried this but didn't work either). I'm sure that i'm just confused about the file name.

...When I do get it to work, should I be using the same variables that I've used for my product_info.php.html template?...

Sean

Sean, close but you messed up when you placed it in the content folder. The content folder is only for product content templates.

To answer your second question, no, you will use the standard STS tags such as $content, $catmenu, $categorybox, etc.

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I should add that when the product pages goes blank, the page title is filled with the URL for the product (ie http://mysite.com/catalog/product_info.php...products_id=33).

This could be caused by a couple of things but mostly the following comes to mind:

STS 4.2 and blank page issue: (This is not an issue with STSv4.3.3 and above)

Check that you do not have Gzip on in the Admin settings. If you absolutely need it, then lower the Gzip setting.

Go to admin->Header Tags->Fill Tags, click on Fill All for Categories, Manufacturers and Products and then click update. This will auto fill your title, meta description and meta keywords for all existing categories, manufacturers and products.

When adding products or categories to your store, you will see new forms for the input of meta data that will be used by HTC.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

This could be caused by a couple of things but mostly the following comes to mind:

STS 4.2 and blank page issue: (This is not an issue with STSv4.3.3 and above)

Check that you do not have Gzip on in the Admin settings. If you absolutely need it, then lower the Gzip setting.

Go to admin->Header Tags->Fill Tags, click on Fill All for Categories, Manufacturers and Products and then click update. This will auto fill your title, meta description and meta keywords for all existing categories, manufacturers and products.

When adding products or categories to your store, you will see new forms for the input of meta data that will be used by HTC.

Gzip was set false. I had already filled the tags but did it again. No change in status. I am not using or displaying Manufactures anywhere on my site. Any chance that is causing the problem?

Gzip was set false. I had already filled the tags but did it again. No change in status. I am not using or displaying Manufactures anywhere on my site. Any chance that is causing the problem?
No, not at all. Make sure you have STS & HTC configured to add tags to your products.

For example:

For the default module, you have a parameter named “Files for normal template”.

By default it contains only “sts_user_code.php”. If you modify this parameter to “sts_user_code.php;headertags.php”, you will have Header Tags Controller working for all of the pages using the default template.

Do the same for the other modules below:

For the index module, the parameter is called “Files for index.php template”.

For product_info module, there are 2 parameters:

“Files for normal template”

“Files for content template”.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Also: Be sure you have the following line of code at the beginning of your includes/header_tags.php file:

require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

If that does not work, use the following code instead:

require_once(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Also: Be sure you have the following line of code at the beginning of your includes/header_tags.php file:

require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

That line wasn't in my file but I added it. Everything seems to be working now. Thanks soooooo much...this has been driving me crazy for weeks.

That line wasn't in my file but I added it. Everything seems to be working now. Thanks soooooo much...this has been driving me crazy for weeks.
Glad I could help you out Keith. :rolleyes:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Sean, close but you messed up when you placed it in the content folder. The content folder is only for product content templates.

To answer your second question, no, you will use the standard STS tags such as $content, $catmenu, $categorybox, etc.

Thanks for the tip, Bill - but I'm not sure if you're following my question.

I'm only assuming this because you mentioned the $content STS tag above. It's the $content that I want to change - for the category view. Maybe I'm not using the right terminology?

The page displaying the content I want to change is index.php and it's showing the list of all the products in a given category (cpath=42). I want to change this table, so I figured i had to have an index.php file in the content folder to change the content for this particular page.

Putting an index.php_42.html in my root template folder is almost what I want but not really since it doesn't alter the $content for that page, and just forces the template on everything except the content.

I suspect my only option is going to be CSS, but I'm hoping that you can tell me I'm wrong!

Thanks for your continued assistance! Can't wait to send you a final link when it's done.

Sean

Hi all,

I have STSV4.3 and HTC2.6 working great. I have an image (which is actually the header for my site) that i want to change on each refresh - at the moment i am using the #banner placeholder and using the banner code to choose 1 of 3 images to show. I'm sure this isn't the best way to do it as it adds lots of extra queries etc. Is it best to put some random code in the template file? Such as the code here: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1675. Will this even work? Or is there a much better way?!

Many Thanks

Becki

completely different issue from my $content question:

$reviewsbutton$ on a product_info.php.html page is showing the button nicely, but it isn't actually forming a link to the reviews page.

Should I be adding my own $reviewsurl$ to the code for it to actually be a proper working link?

thanks!!

sean

Seffi, this could be from a couple of things.
  1. If you are NOT using infobox templates, then you need to be sure that you have the "Use Infobox Templates" setting set to "False" in the STS Default Module in your admin.
  2. If you are depending upon the stylesheet.css file to sytle your infoboxes, then you need to be sure you have the link to the stylesheet.css file in your template so STS knows where to look to bring in those styles.
  3. If you do have the link for the stylesheet.css in your template, then you must have changed something in your stylesheet.css file that is not doing what you want. For ex: If you wanted a gray background verses a white background, then your css setting should be
    .infoBoxContents {
     background: #bbc3d3;

So check the above and hopefully one of the items will help you out.

thank you very much!

it works now... :thumbsup:

Hello.

i have 2 questions.

1.I want to make the placeholders (log-in, view cart) work with pages that i made before i started using the Oscommers system.

these pages are not a part of the shop (general information pages with no products for sale) so i can't make a category template or a product template

for them.

the files are in the same folder as the Oscommers files (htdocs). how can i assosiate these pages to Oscommerce and STS? (is it even possible?)

2.i want to make 2 different menus for my categories. one is the "$categorybox" and the other one is the site navigator (top menu) that is not a STS placeholder.

the question is: can i create links from the top menu to the categories pages withuot loosing information?

i tried to link it like this:

<a href="../index.php?cPath=24>

but it didn't comleted the rest ("&osCsid=9d22bbd52f7c646026d7bf31eeab7fae") so the information got lost.

is there a way to make a link that will include all of these variables and change them according to the page needs?

thank you very much for helping

seffi.

Edited by sefimor

Hello.

i have 2 questions.

1.I want to make the placeholders (log-in, view cart) work with pages that i made before i started using the Oscommers system.

these pages are not a part of the shop (general information pages with no products for sale) so i can't make a category template or a product template

for them.

the files are in the same folder as the Oscommers files (htdocs). how can i assosiate these pages to Oscommerce and STS? (is it even possible?)

2.i want to make 2 different menus for my categories. one is the "$categorybox" and the other one is the site navigator (top menu) that is not a STS placeholder.

the question is: can i create links from the top menu to the categories pages withuot loosing information?

i tried to link it like this:

<a href="../index.php?cPath=24>

but it didn't comleted the rest ("&osCsid=9d22bbd52f7c646026d7bf31eeab7fae") so the information got lost.

is there a way to make a link that will include all of these variables and change them according to the page needs?

thank you very much for helping

seffi.

1) I'm not sure if this is what you want to do but for example i wanted another page just with text on - say an about us page. This can work exactly the same as the shipping page that comes with oscommerce. I basically took the shipping page and duplicated it calling it about_us.php for example. You then can make a link to it via the information box etc - just go and edit the information box file to create another link in there (using the same method - using 'tep_href_link' this will pass on the SID). If you want to link to it from say a footer navigation bar or a top navigation bar that is in your template file you need to go about it the same way - using the tep_href_link function. If though you atre forcing cookies you do not need to pass on the session ID abnd don't need the tep_href_link function.

2) To create links that worked in my template file for the header navigation I created extra placeholders in the sts/general.php file. Following the same method as is already there for a simple url link you can create another link still using the tep_href_link function. I think what i did then was make the header navigation just using text (i.e home) and then gave that text a link - the link being the placeholder, such as #home. I can double check all this is if you want me to, I'm not siure that is the best way to do it but it seems to work, i.e getting the php links (as you need to use tep_href_link function) into the html template.

Becki

1)

Dan, in my guide above, step 4 controls the "flyout" funtion of the script.

4. You must include the following line of code in each of your templates that will be using the menu (The "footer" should be echoed *just before* the closing </BODY> tag.):

If this does not work, please post in the Dynamenu forum but let us know how things worked out in case I need to modify my instructions above. (my instructions worked for me but who knows??) :thumbsup: Remember to post a follow up. :thumbsup:

No response to the post left over there. I will try again. I have very carefully follow all of your instructions. Has anyone else had trouble with the flyout dynamenu?

Might it be how I set up my categories? I simply went to admin added "video cards", opened it, and added two sub cats plus a mock item. As you can see here I do get the right arrow gif so it knows I have sub cats.

I insterted the $dmbox placeholder into the stock table. Might I delete that and add a layer? Would the width of the table have an effect on it?

hrm...

hi everyone!

i just finish installing STS v4.4 , and i have a small problem when i set STS in admin to "True".

error2lz0.jpg

i hope u can help.

Thanks you!

Oscar.

hi everyone!

i just finish installing STS v4.4 , and i have a small problem when i set STS in admin to "True".

Thanks you!

Oscar.

You probably experienced a bad FTP upload (it happens). Anyway, STS does not modifiy the admin/includes/functions/ files but does modify the admin/includes/languages/espanol.php file. Be sure this file has the following code at the very end of the file:

//START STS 4.4
define('BOX_MODULES_STS', 'STS');
//END STS 4.4
?>

A common cause to the problem is spaces ("whitespace") existing before the first <?php tag and/or after the last ?> tag with the files involved. By removing all spaces so that <?php is at the very start of the file and that ?> is at the very end of the file, no content would have been sent to the client and headers can be set safely.

Open the file in a text editor -> place your mouse cursor after the very last ?> tag at the very end of the file and press the 'delete' key on your computer keyboard. Make sure that whitespace does not exist before the opening <?php tag at the very beginning of the file - delete whitespace if present. Save and upload the file to your installation.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I'm thinking the problem with the dynamenu drop down must be ccs, only some of it is working, check it out. I have followed the instructions below with a fresh install of osC and STS 4.4

TIP: You can create a STS variable for the above and then just add the variable into your template in place of the code above. If you decide to go this route, you can use the sample code below and insert it into your “includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php” file:

$sts->start_capture();

require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'dm_categories.php');

$sts->stop_capture('dmbox', 'box');

Now you can add the box into your STS Template pages by using the $dmbox tag (or $dmbox# depending on what you are using for your stop character). See the STS User Manual for more information on the stop character and how it saves you parse times.

Here is a copy of the ccs I insterted, see if you can find anything suspicious.

/*-------------------------------------*/
/*   Horizontal Drop-Down Menu Style   */
/*-------------------------------------*/

.horbar	{   /* Color of main horizontal menubar and border */
color: black;
background-color: #e6e7e6;
border: 1px outset #525252;
}

.horizitem	{		  /* Behaviour of main horizontal menu items, leave as is for proper operation */
float: left;
white-space: nowrap;
}

.horizitem a {			  /* Font style, size of submenu items */
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;	
text-decoration: none;
position: relative;	
display: block;	
}

.horizitem a:link, .horizitem a:visited 	{	  /* Font style & color of main menu items */
color: #000000;
}

.horizitem a:hover	{	   /* Font style & color, background menu color of main menu item when hovered over */
color: #ffffff;
background-color: #21459c;
}

.horizitem a:active	{	   /* Font style & color, background menu color of main menu item when clicked */
color: #ffff00;
background-color: #666666;	
}

.horizsubmenu	{	   /* Behaviour of sub-menu items - leave as is for proper operation of submenus */
position: absolute;
left: 0;
top: 0;
visibility: hidden;
}

.horizsubframe	{	  /* Color of submenu item and border */
background-color: #e6e7e6;
border: 2px outset #fdfefd;

}

.horizsubitem	{	   /* Behaviour of sub-menu items - leave as is for proper operation of submenus */
text-align: left;
white-space: nowrap;
}

.horizsubitem a {			/* Font style, size of submenu items */
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;

}

.horizsubitem a:link, .horizsubitem a:visited	{	   /* Font color, style of submenu items */
color: #000000;
}

.horizsubitem a:hover	{	  /* Font color, style, background submenu color of submenu item when hovered over */
color: #ffffff;
background-color: #21459c;
}

.horizsubitem a:active	{	  /* Font color, style, background submenu color of submenu item when clicked */
color: #ffff00;
background-color: #666666;		
}

.horizsubitem .horizfwdarr, .horizitem .horizfwdarr	{	  /* Positioning of right arrow for submenus */
position: absolute;
top: 5px;
right: 8px;
}

.dmselected {   /* Style override for selected category tree */
background-color: #ccc;
	font-weight: bold;
}

.horbar .dmselected {   /* Style override for selected root category */
background-color: #999;
}

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dano

Dan, in my tutorial, I mentioned that you MAY have to add the above code to your includes/application_bottom.php file. Well, as it turns out, YOU HAVE to add the above code in order to make the flyouts work in STS.

Here is the "above code" that the tutorial was referring to:

// Output the footer for Dynamenu for osCommerce
echo $GLOBALS['dmfooter'];
?>

Add this code to your includes/application_top.php as well as everything else mentioned in the tutorial and you will get your flyout menus to work.

I will update my tutorial on the STS4 Power Pack site to reflect these additions.

By the way...just so everyone knows:

I installed Dynamenu (May 2006) according to the exact instructions given in the contribution. (Even the footer.php echo code just in case you decide to keep using the menu with STS turned off. This will not casue a problem with your site.)

I then created my STS tag in my "sts_column_left.php" page directly after my manufacturerbox define (you can modify this for your header page, etc):

$sts->restart_capture ('manufacturerbox', 'box');

require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'dm_categories.php');
 $sts->restart_capture('dmbox', 'box'); // Get Dynamenu Category box

Now replace the $categorybox STS tag with $dmbox STS tag in your STS Template.

Of course I added ALL of the Dynamenu styles to my stylesheet.css file even though I will only be using one style at a time (it doesn't hurt to have them all defined).

Oh, and I kept with the defaults, meaning I did not change anything in the "dm_categories.php" file just to make sure everything worked.

You can see an example of Dynamenu working with STS here:

http://soundsgoodpro.com/dynamenu/

Let me know if you have any issues.

Bill Kellum

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions