• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I start selling stuff?

inoriz

Hello there,

Am very very new to eCommerce and php codes etc (I can only follow instructions and I know nuts about codes).

I've uploaded all the items that I want to sell and their prices, changed my logo, changed the color of my store etc etc etc... basically, I'm ready to start selling.

Question: How do I 'open' my store? It has this:

"This is a default setup of osCommerce Online Merchant. Products shown are for demonstrational purposes. Any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional."

on the main page together with "Create account for guest or login" and "What's new". Which is the file I need to go to edit this out of the way?

I also did a test run and 'bought' items from myself. I received a confirmation email/ invoice as a customer but as a seller (different email address), I did not receive any notifications that someone has bought something from my store.

How can I keep track of who is buying what then?

Appreciate all your help!

Nothing is needed as such to "open" your store - you just need to advertise your site web address.

You can change the text on the front page by following the instructions on the default index page (point 2 of the text).

To check orders using the administration tool (Click Customers then Orders).

Setup emails to yourself in the admin tool - click Configuration->My Store->Send extra order emails to - then enter your email address

Have you setup a method for customers to pay?

You can change the text on the front page by following the instructions on the default index page (point 2 of the text).

Hi, thank you so much for the reply! I managed to send notification emails for orders to myself. Yes, I have set up methods for customers to pay.

But I still don't understand the above line?

Where is the default index page?

Thanks once again!

when you go to your store adn you see

"This is a default setup of osCommerce Online Merchant. Products shown are for demonstrational purposes. Any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional."
on the same page are instructions on how to change the text

when you go to your store adn you see on the same page are instructions on how to change the text

Hmmm.. when I go to my store admin, all I see are my customers' info. Do I click on any one of these?:

Administrators

My Store

Minimum Values

Maximum Values

Images

Customer Details

Shipping/Packaging

Product Listing

Stock

Logging

Cache

E-Mail Options

Download

GZip Compression

Sessions

not the admin - the customer side.

For you info i've posted a copy below just in case you still can't find it.

Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account?

This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.

Error Messages

If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.

Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete background color.

Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.

Editing Page Texts

The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:

[path to catalog]/includes/languages/english/index.php

That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the Languages->English->Define or Tools->File Manager modules.

The text is set in the following manner:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...');

The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read here.

Securing The Administration Tool

It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.

Online Documentation

Online documentation can be read at the osCommerce Knowledge Base site.

Community support is available at the osCommerce Community Support Forums site.

If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the support site of osCommerce. This shop is running on osCommerce version osCommerce 2.2-MS2.

not the admin - the customer side.

For you info i've posted a copy below just in case you still can't find it.

Ohhhhhh...... HOW SILLY OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, just trying my luck, would you know anything about this:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare do_magic_quotes_gpc() (previously declared in /home/yarnandk/public_html/admin/includes/functions/compatibility.php:18) in /home/yarnandk/public_html/admin/includes/functions/compatibility.php on line 18

I installed FAQ system but when I tried to edit the FAQ in my admin panel, it shows me this. Been trying all night and morning to solve this problem!

Thank you so much once again.

that type of error normally occurs when a program file is copied in the place of a language file - try re-uploading the files from the contribution making sure they go in the correct places.

that type of error normally occurs when a program file is copied in the place of a language file - try re-uploading the files from the contribution making sure they go in the correct places.

Alright, I will try that now.

Thank you very much!

Hi, I've tried re-uploading files from FAQ System and also re uploaded language files from the original OSC package. It still shows me the same error. :(

• 4 months later...
Hi, I've tried re-uploading files from FAQ System and also re uploaded language files from the original OSC package. It still shows me the same error. :(

Read the readme 1st before you install the contribution. They make it easier for you to understand how to install it ;)

"I am not a Newbie but I am not an Expert either..."
"Lets learn about osCommerce together!..."

Archived