USPS Shipping Insurance

olsonsp4c

I got it

The files go in the catalog includes modules

NOT

admin include modules

Might want to change or reword

* UPDATE 1.0->1.1a *

1. Remove the module in the admin (Modules->Order Total)

2. Upload included fileset to the appropriate folders

3. Re-edit files in Step 1 & Step 4

4. Install the module in the admin and select appropriate options

in the readme file

The addition of admin in

Remove the module in the admin (Modules->Order Total)

this line through it all off

But thats probably just me hahaha!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got it

The files go in the catalog includes modules

NOT

admin include modules

Might want to change or reword

in the readme file

The addition of admin in

this line through it all off

But thats probably just me hahaha!

Nope, understand - I've done the same thing in installing addons beating my head against the wall all because I just misunderstood or misread the instructions...

thanks for using my addon :)

Scott

I have implemented the USPS Insurance module and everything was great. However, now I find out I have to calculate tax on shipping and insurance for Florida. I read all the posts in this thread and tried the suggestions. I am running the latest 1.1a. I have the order total modules aligned so tax is ordered below shipping and USPS Insurance. However, it still does not calculate tax on the USPS Insurance.

For the other poster with the Paypal IPN version 2.3.3.0. I found a solution that seems to work for me. I edited the paypal_ipn.php file.

Around line 315 I added a definition for $uspsinsurance:

$subtotal = $order_total['ot_subtotal'];
$uspsinsurance = $order_total['ot_uspsinsurance']; /* MY EDIT */

Around line 454 I editing the following line to add $uspsinsurance to the handling variable:

$parameters['handling'] = number_format(($uspsinsurance+$order_total['ot_loworderfee']) * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency));

The total comes out properly now in Paypal. If only I could get tax calculated on the USPS Insurance my life would be all roses.

Thanks for any help, kind regards,

Jake

Version 1.2 is out: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5782

Changes since v1.1

------------------

* Code added to calculate tax including the shipping insurance if a tax class is chosen (thanks to Jake)

Scott (olsonsp4c)

Really a nice contribution. Now my customers pay exactly what the shipping and insurance charges are. No more and no less. No more over or under charge for delivery. Makes for a happier customer.

Thank you!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have what might be a stupid question...Do you have to use the USPS shipping module to use this contribution, or will it work with any shipping module?

The store I built for a client (Stamps, as in Philately) just has a one dollar shipping rate for every order, but he wants customers to be able to have the option for insurance...will this work? I read all the posts in this thread and it seems to me it will, but I just want to check before I go through the install.

Thanks much

I have what might be a stupid question...Do you have to use the USPS shipping module to use this contribution, or will it work with any shipping module?

The store I built for a client (Stamps, as in Philately) just has a one dollar shipping rate for every order, but he wants customers to be able to have the option for insurance...will this work? I read all the posts in this thread and it seems to me it will, but I just want to check before I go through the install.

Thanks much

It could work; however, you should note that the rates listed are the USPS insurance rates that are determined by the price of the order total (with or without tax). It is easy to change the title of the module in the english file and adjust other aspects in the module file (ie. the usps logo). You can change the insurance charge per order total amount in the admin to whatever you desire; however, you'd need to change the table inserted in checkout_payment.php accordingly (the insurance amounts charged. You should take a look at the screenshots before using.

Thanks!

Scott

Edited by olsonsp4c

It could work; however, you should note that the rates listed are the USPS insurance rates that are determined by the price of the order total (with or without tax). It is easy to change the title of the module in the english file and adjust other aspects in the module file (ie. the usps logo). You can change the insurance charge per order total amount in the admin to whatever you desire; however, you'd need to change the table inserted in checkout_payment.php accordingly (the insurance amounts charged. You should take a look at the screenshots before using.

Thanks!

Scott

Thank you Scott! That's what I thought - he actually does use the USPS and their insurance rates, so that's fine - we just don't use any weight calculations for the site as the items weigh next to nothing, so it's easier just to use a flat rate, but it will be nice to have the optional insurance module in there...

Thanks again for the response...

Phil

Thank you Scott! That's what I thought - he actually does use the USPS and their insurance rates, so that's fine - we just don't use any weight calculations for the site as the items weigh next to nothing, so it's easier just to use a flat rate, but it will be nice to have the optional insurance module in there...

Thanks again for the response...

Phil

Your welcome - you should also note that my module will only insure for 1 package per order at this time, until I figure out how to import the $shipping_num_boxes variable from the shipping class. Once I figure that out, I already have it coded to work for multiple packages.

Scott

• 4 weeks later...

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Everybody! USPS changed almost all of their domestic and international insurance rates TODAY... Go in the admin->modules->order totals->USPS Shipping Insurance to see the links to the rates pages and update your rates in the addon accordingly or you'll be undercharging your customers (your checkout shipping [checkout payment in older versions] page will be automatically updated when you adjust the price in the admin)!

Also, anyone out there willing to help me figure out how to import the $shipping_num_boxes variable from the shipping class? Once that is done, this addon will be complete...

Scott

Edited by olsonsp4c

Hi, I do not have this:

* STEP 6 *

In catalog/includes/stylesheet.css:

FIND this:

TD.smallText, SPAN.smallText, P.smallText {

font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 10px;

My Stylesheet.css is in the catalog directory... I see someone else mentioned this I just want to make sure this is the correct file to edit!

N

Hi, I do not have this:

* STEP 6 *

In catalog/includes/stylesheet.css:

FIND this:

TD.smallText, SPAN.smallText, P.smallText {

font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 10px;

My Stylesheet.css is in the catalog directory... I see someone else mentioned this I just want to make sure this is the correct file to edit!

N

I apologize - it is in catalog/

you think you have it all correct and then find these kinds of errors :)

thanks.

Scott

Hello, I added this mod and followed the directios to the letter, I activated it in the modules, set the rates, but yet nothing shows for insurance in checkout. Any suggestions where to start fixing?

what version are you using?

Scott

Edited by olsonsp4c

what version are you using?

Scott

1.3..... ! One of my other sites got hacked, so my host turned off global allow, but I had them turn it back on, but the problem remains so I am not sure it's related. Imma comb through the directions one more time and see if I can get it going.

Edited by thenook

1.3..... ! One of my other sites got hacked, so my host turned off global allow, but I had them turn it back on, but the problem remains so I am not sure it's related. Imma comb through the directions one more time and see if I can get it going.

I has em all zipped as modded if anyone wants to peek

http://wjowsa.com/usps13.zip

I put the files in their directories , and the originals ar in the backup. Im seeing crosseyed after trying to troubleshoot 3-4 mods.. Head needs a break.

N

I has em all zipped as modded if anyone wants to peek

http://wjowsa.com/usps13.zip

I put the files in their directories , and the originals ar in the backup. Im seeing crosseyed after trying to troubleshoot 3-4 mods.. Head needs a break.

N

your shipping insurance inserts should be in checkout_shipping.php - without this, nothing can show up - look there 1st.

Scott

your shipping insurance inserts should be in checkout_shipping.php - without this, nothing can show up - look there 1st.

Scott

Thanks man, I made progress.... but not enough. I am going to wipe and try them again. Somehow I overwrote the ones I edited and uploaded the ones without editing. But progress!:

err.gif

Thanks man, I made progress.... but not enough. I am going to wipe and try them again. Somehow I overwrote the ones I edited and uploaded the ones without editing. But progress!:

err.gif

looks like the edits to includes/languages/english.php are missing

also note that the stylesheet.css file is in the root directory NOT includes/

Scott

Somehow I got the files oerwritten and having another problem with one odd othe rpart of the site, I nuked and paved it. It's all back with no mods, im going to add the google tracker and take another crack at the insurance mod here shortly.....

N

• 1 month later...

Help! I installed version 1.3 and I'm having three problems with the module:

1) The order history doesn't show that insurance was ordered.

2) The cost is not carrying through to PayPal (but it does carry over to Authorize.net).

3) If I move from "Confirmation" back to "Payment", it doesn't retain the fact that insurance was requested.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rich

BTW, I'm not charging tax on insurance.

Help! I installed version 1.3 and I'm having three problems with the module:

1) The order history doesn't show that insurance was ordered.

2) The cost is not carrying through to PayPal (but it does carry over to Authorize.net).

3) If I move from "Confirmation" back to "Payment", it doesn't retain the fact that insurance was requested.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rich

BTW, I'm not charging tax on insurance.

thanks Rich,

I appreciate the feedback...

Issue 1 - this would be a good feature to consider adding in the future, but I'm not sure how to do it at this point

Issue 2 - with Paypal you will probably have to add the section you added to checkout_confirmation.php to your paypal file - paypal has lots of issues like this

Issue 3 - i've known about this; however, I don't know how to fix it honestly, maybe someone else has an idea - the best idea probably is to use 1.2 which has the selection on checkout_payment.php page, then when they go back, they'll have to reselect insurance. Not optimal, but it's a quicker fix.

Scott

Issue 2 - with Paypal you will probably have to add the section you added to checkout_confirmation.php to your paypal file - paypal has lots of issues like this

Hey Scott,

I have the same PayPal issue but I cannot figure out where to add the code on the paypal file. It's just too much going on in there and I'm not too PHP savvy.

A little help from anyone would be great.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

Hey Scott,

I have the same PayPal issue but I cannot figure out where to add the code on the paypal file. It's just too much going on in there and I'm not too PHP savvy.

A little help from anyone would be great.

it depends on which Paypal addon you are using, that's part of the problem... could be either:

paypal_ipn.php OR paypal.php OR ipn.php

Scott