• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Query string trouble!

Hi all,

I'm working on an osCommerce site that a colleague of mine had created by a web development company. The way they've set it up is bizarre. The oscsid session ID variable was in the MIDDLE of the URLs (not appended to the end), so the "Prevent spider sessions" option simply isn't working. It's appending .../product_info.php&products_id=... instead of .../product_info.php?products_id=...

Here is Googlebot's current view of the site:- http://www.smart-it-consulting.com/interne...erflysounds.com

You can see the original state of it at www.butterflysounds.com

All we need is to have the session IDs hidden from the search engine spiders.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

chek in function folder for html_output.php file and a function href in it.

analyse and You should be able to fix.

I think the arguments passwed have be taken in a different combination.

Also set kill spider session to true.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Sorry, I don't understand. I'm a beginner with osCommerce. Can someone explain please?

URLs are built by the function tep_href_link which can be found in catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php

Perhaps you can kill 2 birds with one proverbial stone here.

Download ULTIMATE SEO URLs (2.1d UPDATED) which I uploaded recently.

This should sort out your querystring problem AND give you SEO URLs into the bargain.

You will also feed google & friends nice friendly 301 redirects for the new links.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Ultimate SEO URLs did absolutely nothing when I installed it on the server. I have no idea what the people who developed this site did, but basically it's returning the session ID BEFORE the product ID in the URL. This is what's causing havoc with "Prevent spider sessions" as it's shortening the URLs to butterflysounds.com/product_info.php&products_id= instead of butterflysounds.com/product_info.php?products_id= when the site is crawled by a search engine spider. I simply need to either rewrite the ampersand as a question mark or find a way of the URLs being constructed with the product ID before the session ID.

Any ideas?

Hi Rob,

Ultimate SEO URLs did absolutely nothing when I installed it on the server. I have no idea what the people who developed this site did, but basically it's returning the session ID BEFORE the product ID in the URL. This is what's causing havoc with "Prevent spider sessions" as it's shortening the URLs to butterflysounds.com/product_info.php&products_id= instead of butterflysounds.com/product_info.php?products_id= when the site is crawled by a search engine spider. I simply need to either rewrite the ampersand as a question mark or find a way of the URLs being constructed with the product ID before the session ID.

Any ideas?

I don't understand how "Ultimate SEO URLs did absolutely nothing" it will rebuild the urls in the correct manner solving your problem.

IF your category links don't become SEO URLs then the web butchers hardcoded your links in all probability.

Here's a clue

A typical category link on your site ...

product_info.php&products_id=31

should be built as follows: -

Parsed by PHP

<?php
echo '
<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=31') . '">PRODUCT NAME GOES HERE</a>';
?>

Standard html

<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=31'); ?>">PRODUCT NAME GOES HERE</a>

That doesn't appear anywhere in the code. I think you're right - they've done something to the links. They've absolutely murdered this site. None of it makes any sense and it's making my job impossible!

I'm willing to pay for some help or a solution. Please let me know cost details.

Archived