• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

different shipping address questions

jasyn

hey fellow oscommerce users. i have a question regarding what you guys choose to do with people who choose to use a different shipping address. do you guys ship to other addresses other then the billing, or do you guys choose not to? we're in a dilemma in regards to that because some people choose to want it delivered to their work address or some other place since their aren't home. we can't prove that the address they provide is actually their work address or whatever, and paypal (our merchant account) doesn't cover payments if the item were to be lost or such since we didn't ship it to the billing address. thoughts?

We are having the same problem, we dont wish to inconvinience customers as i'm sure other shops would post this way but our processors world pay have the same T&C's for us it comes down to cost of order if we have an order that comes over a total of £35 we wont ship to a different address as it isn't worth the chance they are trying to scam free stuff 99% of people are just trying to make there lives a bit easier having it delivered to work and the like but since opening i'm sad to say i've become alot more sceptical about the 1% who are out for a free ride.

I know this really doesn't answer your questions but this is our view it'd be nice if there was a way to disable the seperate shipping address i'm guessing this is possible through the code or a contribution but if anyone has done this and could post a link to contrib/advice would be great :thumbsup:

We are having the same problem, we dont wish to inconvinience customers as i'm sure other shops would post this way but our processors world pay have the same T&C's for us it comes down to cost of order if we have an order that comes over a total of £35 we wont ship to a different address as it isn't worth the chance they are trying to scam free stuff 99% of people are just trying to make there lives a bit easier having it delivered to work and the like but since opening i'm sad to say i've become alot more sceptical about the 1% who are out for a free ride.

I know this really doesn't answer your questions but this is our view it'd be nice if there was a way to disable the seperate shipping address i'm guessing this is possible through the code or a contribution but if anyone has done this and could post a link to contrib/advice would be great :thumbsup:

there is such a contribution http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3631 but i don't kno if that is really convenient.

thanks for your thoughts. i'm just trying to get a feel for what other shop owners do about this situation.

so i've just been browsing other sites in regards to what they do with shipping to a different address other than the billing. one solution i saw was having that person add their different address to their credit card. we would then have to call the credit card company to confirm. has anyone done this/heard of this? is it possible for us to call those credit card companies and confirm the information?

I find that hard to believe data protection is key I cant imagine credit card companies would give out those details if they do its very worrying as to not mean any offence you are only a store holder not a financial institution.

And if I was the customer having to phone the credit card company and adding an address to my account would seem like alot of hassle when I could just click back and find the next site in the search its a bad balancing act to be playing with when your profits are at risk :(

I have had a similar issue years ago and there really is no absolute way a merchant can protect themselves. Even if you follow all the credit card company guidelines and someone scams you - you are the one that will get the chargeback and lose the money on the transaction - not the credit card company.

That said, my solution years ago was to only ship to the CC's billing address for the first order. Now that I've also been scammed in that manner as a second order was placed to a different address and shipped before the chargeback could take place. (Double Whammy!) After that experience, I think it would be best to limit shipping to the CC's billing address for the first 30 days, maybe have a manual override if you really wanted to make an exception for some reason. Then the question comes up - what about someone with two different billing addresses - one card billed at work address and one at home? My answer is to either link the address to the card or only allow the original address they signed up with for the first 30 days, then they can add more or ship to additional addresses - maybe include a popup or something that explains this policy is to help reduce CC fraud and provide a safer shopping experience or something??

If you guys like this idea let me know and I will work this up as a contribution.

The GraphicZoo

check profile for web address

The other way out is if the email ID used was a free email ID when customer purchased then too there is a probablility of fraud.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

The other way out is if the email ID used was a free email ID when customer purchased then too there is a probablility of fraud.

Satish

This is not true as I use a "free" email from yahoo and have done so for nearly 12 years! I have probably spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $30k - $40k in online purchases - so would you want to exclude me as a customer because I have a "free" email account?

Many of my friends use free email accounts and they are not out to defraud anyone - hence this theory is not valid.

The GraphicZoo

If in doubt call the customer and confirm.

Satish

This recommendation I totally agree with - but you can still be scammed by smart con artists as they will answer the phone using a disposable cell phone and you have absolutely no way of knowing this beforehand.

The BEST advice is to following your merchant providers guidelines when accepting payment and if it smells like a scam, it probably is a scam. Also, DO NOT ship ANYTHING to NIGERIA unless you are absolutely certain the recipient is legitimate. This is THE single most offending nation in the world and they do not persue individuals even when evidence is presented to their authorities. (Maybe this could end up being a contribution as well - limit orders to zones)

The GraphicZoo

Of course we call the customer to confirm everything, but even so, it's hard to tell since they'll always come up with an excuse. I guess there isn't really any certain way to tell, so the solution would be to just choose to ship to the billing address only. Thanks for all the wonderful advice guys.

Theres several things you can do.

1) Contact the customer through their email address and ask them to call you. Most cases, the fraudulent order people wont call you.

2) Contact them by phone, most fraudulent orders wont give you legitimate phone numbers.

3) Use whitepages.com to verify the customers information. You can use reverse phone lookup, as well as reverse address lookup. This website has been an incredible resource for us to verify information.

Of course we call the customer to confirm everything, but even so, it's hard to tell since they'll always come up with an excuse. I guess there isn't really any certain way to tell, so the solution would be to just choose to ship to the billing address only. Thanks for all the wonderful advice guys.

Theres several things you can do.

1) Contact the customer through their email address and ask them to call you. Most cases, the fraudulent order people wont call you.

2) Contact them by phone, most fraudulent orders wont give you legitimate phone numbers.

3) Use whitepages.com to verify the customers information. You can use reverse phone lookup, as well as reverse address lookup. This website has been an incredible resource for us to verify information.

give an example of whitepages.com .. i don't get how reverse lookups provide anything to us.

Archived