• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SSL Help

I've seen the posts on updating configure.php so OSCommerce uses secure pages. I think where I'm running into problems is with setting up apache to handle those pages securely. It seems a virtual host can be either secure or non-secure, but not both? What's the trick to having an install were some pages are secure? Do I need multiple virtual hosts,...? Can anyone help or point me to some documentation? Thanks!

I am actually running a test server on my laptop with a self-signed certificate.

Turned out I just didn't know how to configure Apache correctly. I found that you can define both a secure and non-secure virtual host pointing to the same set of files in Apache.

The /etc/apache2/sites-available/default configuration file needed the secure virtual host added. The configuration that worked for me was:

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
::
the default stuff from installing apache2 in Ubuntu
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost localhost:443>
the exact same default stuff as above
SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile /path/to/ssl/certificate.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /path/to/ssl/certificate.key
</VirtualHost>

Then adjust configure.php as indicated in steps 6 & 7 of Jason Webers how-to. Now I have a site that has a completely ssl admin area, and ssl protection for customer login, checkout, and payment.

Archived