• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding a template to an exisiting osC website

katonboard

I have my osC website created and modified over the last 2 years. I want to give it a new look and put a template over the top. From what I have read I think I can use this contribution.

Is this the case? Are there any obvious pitfalls that I should know about? or does anyone have any comments or any comments/hints that may help make my endeavour a little easier.

This is not my area of expertise so I am really working without a strong background.

Thank you

I have my osC website created and modified over the last 2 years. I want to give it a new look and put a template over the top. From what I have read I think I can use this contribution.

Is this the case? Are there any obvious pitfalls that I should know about? or does anyone have any comments or any comments/hints that may help make my endeavour a little easier.

This is not my area of expertise so I am really working without a strong background.

Thank you

Katrina,

You didn't specify but I assume you are refering to the Simple Template System.

It could be very disasterous for you if you just place a purchased template over the top of your modified store. The Simple Template System makes it very easy to do without rendering your shop useless.

How to integrate a purchased template to STS:

To make an STS template out of a purchased osCommerce template,

1. Install the store in a test directory (meaning, follow all of the installation instructions that came with your purchased template, but be sure to do this in a test osCommerce scenario. You will use these files in your final "live" osCommerce store.
  2. Open the store in your browser
  3. View the Source Code and Save the html code to your computer
  4. Use this html code as your default template (sts_template.html) and start replacing the different elements with their corresponding STS Tags.
  5. Use the boxes class (includes/classes/boxes.php) from the template you bought
  6. Modify the external stylesheet from the purchased template to your needs (if needed)

The above should get you started in the right direction.

You can find more details regarding STS in the STS Thread (see STSv4 Forum link in my signature below).

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Katrina,

You didn't specify but I assume you are refering to the Simple Template System.

It could be very disasterous for you if you just place a purchased template over the top of your modified store. The Simple Template System makes it very easy to do without rendering your shop useless.

How to integrate a purchased template to STS:

To make an STS template out of a purchased osCommerce template,

1. Install the store in a test directory (meaning, follow all of the installation instructions that came with your purchased template, but be sure to do this in a test osCommerce scenario. You will use these files in your final "live" osCommerce store.
  2. Open the store in your browser
  3. View the Source Code and Save the html code to your computer
  4. Use this html code as your default template (sts_template.html) and start replacing the different elements with their corresponding STS Tags.
  5. Use the boxes class (includes/classes/boxes.php) from the template you bought
  6. Modify the external stylesheet from the purchased template to your needs (if needed)

The above should get you started in the right direction.

You can find more details regarding STS in the STS Thread (see STSv4 Forum link in my signature below).

Hope this helped,

Thank you Bill,

Yes, that did help a lot.

So, I can just purchase a template - do you have any recommendations on where to look for templates (or is there a thread I have missed) or doesn't it matter?