• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Free SHipping Fee for select Categories or select Products

worldtrav9

Hello,

I've read many posts about similar questions to mine. All are confusing. Perhaps someone can provide me (a lay person) with an easy to understand solution. This situation is common and should be available easily within the oscommerce application ( I would think so, at least!).

I use the Table Rate shipping module based on price. I have a simple price structure. I ship all orders via USPS Priority Mail. It keeps the shipping simple for me and my customers love it! Here is my shipping fee structure:

Order Total ...........S&H Fee

0 to 24.99 .............$6.95

25.00 to 39.99........$8.95

40.00 to 74.99 .......$10.95

75.00 to 99.99........$12.95

100.00 and up .......$13.95

The Table Rate module works great.

However, I now have a few products they are reservation based sales. Thus, no shipping is applicable. Folks will sign up for an event and the cost is $50. I want the shipping fee to be $0. Another example is I have gift certificates that are personalized that are mailed to the customer. They are a letter envelope only and of course the postage is only 41 cents. I want the shipping fee for this product to be $0.

I installed the Flat Rate Shipping Module and set the cost at $0. However, there is no filter to designate which products this applies to. So, of course, the customer sees two shipping options --- one for $6.95 and one for $0 to chose and check.

How do I get my oscommerce store to provide a $0 shipping fee for a select group of products? Please only provide solutions that work that a lay person such as myself can handle!

Your extra effort to help is more than greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Lana

Edited by Jan Zonjee
spam

• 2 weeks later...

Lana, your place looks wonderful.

I am trying to solve the same shipping issue. I use the price-based table for my shipping charges. But I sell some stickers that can be put in a envelope and ship for 41 cents. I don't want to create bad PR with my customers, by making them feel like they are getting gouged for shipping on a few simple decals. We all know what it costs to ship a letter!

Considering how many stores sell old postcards and trading cards online, I can't believe there hasn't been a mod specifically written for this need.

Today, I will be trying out a modification described in a book I bought called "Deep Inside osCommerce. The Cookbook." by Monika Mathe . I'm not completely sure it will do what I need, but it looks promising.

It's mod #52 Limit Flat Rate Shipping to a specific category only.

The editing that needs to be done to existing files is a little beyond my comfort level, but I'm going to face my fears and try it.

I'm going in! :angry: Wish me luck.

I'll let you know if it works.

Edited by mimimc

Here you are guys.

I quickly packaged some files I made for a client.

It is based on the ages old freeamount contribution, however it has beed doctored to work with ..

MySQL5 (STRICT TRANS TABLES)

PHP5

It allowes you to ..

1) Turn on product inclusion in admin

2) add a comma seperated list of product_ids to offer free shipping for .. e.g..

No comma at start or end.

It may not be exactly what you are looking for but then again it might.

Important:

Before uploading the language file please read it as it was set up for a UK client. You may not want your customers to see "2nd class post" etc so change as needed.

Also if you have no intention of offering its standard free shipping features set the weight higher than your products.

I won't leave this attachment up here so if you are going to download it please do so now.

Edited by FWR Media

Thank you, FRW Media! I will give it a try.

Will it work with PHP4?

My webhost won't be switching to php5 until March, should I wait to install it?

Thanks.

No, PHP4 is fine I just have a strict dev enviroment so it'll work with all "reasonably" current versions of PHP/MySQL.

Thank you, FRW Media! I will give it a try.

Will it work with PHP4?

My webhost won't be switching to php5 until March, should I wait to install it?

Thanks.

Hi Michelle,

I downloaded the FRW Media contribution .... the notes states:

Tested on:

MS2.2 - RC1 - RC2

PHP4 - PHP5 - MySQL 4/5 (STRICT TRANS TABLES)

I am PHP Version 4.4.4. So, it appears from this information it would work with my PHP version.

Are you going to give it a try. The instructions are not so bad - rather simple --- can this be???? This would be the very best of news. If you try it let me know how it works!

Best regards,

Lana

Edited by Jan Zonjee
spam

Michelle

Are you going to give it a try. The instructions are not so bad - rather simple --- can this be???? This would be the very best of news. If you try it let me know how it works!

Right little adventurer aren't we :D

It's only a shipping module, you turn it off it goes away.

Edited by FWR Media

Hi again,

I am trying to install it right now. It does look very easy.

But when I just tried to upload the 2nd file : catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/freeamount.php ... I don't see a file in there the shipping folder is empty. I doublechecked the zip file and it seems to be empty.

Am I missing something?

Damn I did say I threw it together .. up again!

Going to bed soon so please try and feedback before I go.

Thank you.

A little delay here, because I wanted to do a full backup first. Then:

I got the 2 files uploaded. Then went into modules/shipping in ADMIN. I didn't see an option named FreeAmount but I do see Free Shipping. I don't recall if that was there before or not.

It must be the right one, because I do see a field at the bottom to enter product numbers.

I enabled it, entered what seemed to be logical amounts into the fields. Entered the item #s of 2 decals ... no spaces after the comma, correct?

I tried a sample purchase, but I don't see the free shipping being offered at checkout.

I will try to make a screenshot and post here.

Whoa. Whoa.

Wait a minute! It might be working!

I just noticed that I had another shipping module set to order 0. I had disabled it, but not "removed" it.

I didn't see the problem until I started saving the screenshot.

Stay tuned!

HOLY COW! It works like a charm!

This is amazing. I've been looking for this solution for a year. I can't believe how easy this was.

YOU THE MAN!

--------------

(Edit added as a new post)

Edited by mimimc

This is amazing. I've been looking for this solution for a year. I can't believe how easy this was.

YOU THE MAN!

Michelle --- are you serious! I think you ARE serious! OMG!!!! I've been searching for almost 2 years for this solution. This is wonderful. I will give it a try now. I am certainly not as good as you --- but --- will attempt it anyway! Thank you in advance FRW Media!!

Lana

YOU THE MAN!

Glad you like it. I couldn't imagine it not working after the testing it went through for my customer. Don't forget to change the languages file though.

Rob

I'm glad I am able to thank you before you went to sleep. This is really great.

I do see that it is labeling the free shipping as "Second Class" ... I'm sure I can easily edit that.

I added this as an edit to my last post, and then decided to make it a new post. I hate to even dampen the celebration. I'm sure I can tweak it to work just right. But here is the "BUT"

Edit: Okay. I found exception to my joy. I need to re-think my Table-Rate. Maybe make it weight-based. Because, I can see that if someone orders a little jewelry item that should only cost $2.50 to ship, I was testing to make sure that free shipping doesn't get offered.

The good news is that the free shipping disappears.

The bad news is that the stickers still increase the order $ total and drive up the shipping fees way beyond what a few stickers would actually increase postage.

Hmm. I need to think on a solution. Still this a great improvement! Thank you!

Mimi

www.ScruffyPuppy.com

Edited by Jan Zonjee
spamming

I thought I would post this screenshot anyway. In case you have any suggestions on my settings.

You can see that the first problem was caused by having 2 shipping modules set in the 0 postion.

I hadn't removed it because I thought "remove" would delete the option altogether. But it really just disables it.

freeShipping2.jpg

Lana, I'm very anxious to see how this works for you. I hope it is the solution you are looking for as well!

I'm glad I am able to thank you before you went to sleep. This is really great.

I do see that it is labeling the free shipping as "Second Class" ... I'm sure I can easily edit that.

I added this as an edit to my last post, and then decided to make it a new post. I hate to even dampen the celebration. I'm sure I can tweak it to work just right. But here is the "BUT"

Edit: Okay. I found exception to my joy. I need to re-think my Table-Rate. Maybe make it weight-based. Because, I can see that if someone orders a little jewelry item that should only cost $2.50 to ship, I was testing to make sure that free shipping doesn't get offered.

The good news is that the free shipping disappears.

The bad news is that the stickers still increase the order $ total and drive up the shipping fees way beyond what a few stickers would actually increase postage.

Hmm. I need to think on a solution. Still this a great improvement! Thank you!

Mimi

http://www.ScruffyPuppy.com

Well if always free why not set the weight of those free shipping products to zero like I did with my customer?

I do have them set at 0 weight. But I've been using a table based on the order total (dollar amount). I do this because I think that online shoppers always want to know what their shipping fees are going to be, before they start the checkout process. I often end up losing money on this setup. But I also feel so guilty when a customer ends up paying too much for shipping a few small items, just because they are more expensive items.

But I think I will switch to weight based. I'm sure I read about a mod that will allow a pop-up box showing shipping options/fees for items currently in the cart. I just want them to see that shipping is reasonable, before they have to start entering all their personal information.

Since I only ship within the US, and usually use USPS First Class or Priority Mail ... I think I can set up a pretty reliable table based on weight.

Thanks for your help!

Just to bother you further :D

TIP: (for coders)

Constant MODULE_SHIPPING_FREEAMOUNT_PRODSARRAY is a string that can be exploded via ,(comma) after installing this (and adding product ids) into an array to add "This product has free shipping" where ever you want.

END - TIP for coders

Edited by FWR Media

Just to bother you further :D

TIP: (for coders)

Constant MODULE_SHIPPING_FREEAMOUNT_PRODSARRAY is a string that can be exploded via ,(comma) after installing this (and adding product ids) into an array to add "This product has free shipping" where ever you want.

END - TIP for coders

I'm not sure where to find that. But wouldn't something have to be added into product_info.php?

Is that what you mean? Or doing that would PRODSARRAY thing insert the note automatically?

I do have them set at 0 weight. But I've been using a table based on the order total (dollar amount). I do this because I think that online shoppers always want to know what their shipping fees are going to be, before they start the checkout process. I often end up losing money on this setup. But I also feel so guilty when a customer ends up paying too much for shipping a few small items, just because they are more expensive items.

But I think I will switch to weight based. I'm sure I read about a mod that will allow a pop-up box showing shipping options/fees for items currently in the cart. I just want them to see that shipping is reasonable, before they have to start entering all their personal information.

Since I only ship within the US, and usually use USPS First Class or Priority Mail ... I think I can set up a pretty reliable table based on weight.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Michelle,

I installed it and tested it. It is not 100% accurate for folks such as us who use a flat rate table (as shown in my original post). I found the same issues you did. Here is what I would like corrected - but how???

1) If the only product ordered is the one eligible for $0 shipping the free shipping choice does show up BUT the flat rate shipping rate also appears. I need to show only the free shipping choice.

2) I need to revise the text that appears for the free shipping - but how?

3) If an eligible free ship product is combined with a non free ship product the flat ship rate that appears includes the cost of the free ship product.

So, we are almost there but not quick 100% yet.

Michelle, I ship all my orders via USPS Priority Mail. I use the flat rate shipping fees shown in my original post. I have found that at the end of the calendar year 2007 the actual postage I paid for all orders shipped exceeded the shipping fees charged for all orders shipped. The variance was reasonable and not a huge amount which I would never permit anyway. The reason I keep the flat rate shipping fee structure is my customers prefer it! They like a simple easy to understand structure for their shipping fee. They also prefer the quick delivery using USPS Priority Mail which also delivers on Saturday.

We'll have to keep plugging away on getting this 100%. At least we are moving in the right direction.

I will give it a try now. I am certainly not as good as you --- but --- will attempt it anyway! Thank you in advance FRW Media!!

Hi Lana,

I'm dying to know if you got this installed and if it will work for you?

I think it sounds like a good solution for your needs. Considering people who are planning to buy a gift certificate or reservations are probably not going to be buying products at the same time. Right? If they are planning a trip out to your location, they probably want to come and shop in person when they get there.

If I switch to a weight based table, I'm trying to figure out if I would need this mod, since I can set the weight to 0 in the table and that would cover free shipping in the table module. Wouldn't it?

If I keep it in place, I could advise customers to place 2 separate orders, if ordering decals and other products. But I don't think customers would bother to do it. Or bother to read the suggestion.

FRW, I know you probably want to keep your client's privacy. But can you give me an idea of what type of scenario would need this, if they are also using weight based talbe?

I know you said it might not be just what we are looking for. So, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm coming back and saying "Why do I need this?" :blush:

It's definitely the closet thing to a solution I have found and I have been looking for a very long time!

Hi Lana,

I'm dying to know if you got this installed and if it will work for you?

I think it sounds like a good solution for your needs. Considering people who are planning to buy a gift certificate or reservations are probably not going to be buying products at the same time. Right? If they are planning a trip out to your location, they probably want to come and shop in person when they get there.

If I switch to a weight based table, I'm trying to figure out if I would need this mod, since I can set the weight to 0 in the table and that would cover free shipping in the table module. Wouldn't it?

If I keep it in place, I could advise customers to place 2 separate orders, if ordering decals and other products. But I don't think customers would bother to do it. Or bother to read the suggestion.

FRW, I know you probably want to keep your client's privacy. But can you give me an idea of what type of scenario would need this, if they are also using weight based talbe?

I know you said it might not be just what we are looking for. So, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm coming back and saying "Why do I need this?" :blush:

It's definitely the closet thing to a solution I have found and I have been looking for a very long time!

Hi Michelle,

I posted my comments to my install to your earlier post. I will keep my flat rate schedule. My customers like. This free shipping doesn't work correctly for all situations.

It is also important to note I found another flaw ----- If I set up the free shipping module to apply for all product items and it is free shipping if $50 or more (for example) the module INCLUDES the shipping cost -- so --- hypothetically -- if someone buys $41.05 of products and SH is $8.95 for a total including SH of $50 the free shipping module kicks in when it should not --- it should be based on total of products without shipping.

I do plan to move to weight based --- too complicated --- my customers do not want it ....

Also ..... my customers do order products at the same time they buy a gift certificate or make a workshop reservation. So, my systems needs to meet a lot of variables.

This free shipping module has flaws. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. Darn.

Lana