• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I stop other companies copying my website images?

harg

Hi, could someone explain how to make my website images 'un-copyable' ? I guess it could be something to do with secure image folder but I don't know how to make them show then?

Please could someone advise (in simple language) ta .

:rolleyes:

The only way to ensure that your images are 'un-copyable' is to not publish them.

You 100% cannot guarantee that a visitor cannot grab a copy of anything that you publish.

SolarFrenzy

Solar powered gadgets at down to earth prices.

CheekyNaughty

Promoting British Design

You could try putting a watermark over your images - but I don't think it looks good.

Then there's a no right click javascript, which you need to copy n paste into the head tags, but not sure how to use it with the php, but maybe it'll help

<script language="JavaScript">

<!--

/*

No rightclick script v.2.5

© 1998 barts1000

[email protected]

Don't delete this header!

*/

var message="Sorry, that function is disabled.\nThis Page Copyrighted and\nImages and Text protected!\nALL RIGHTS RESERVED";

// Don't edit below!

function click(e) {

if (document.all) {

if (event.button == 2) {

alert(message);

return false;

}

}

if (document.layers) {

if (e.which == 3) {

alert(message);

return false;

}

}

}

if (document.layers) {

document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);

}

document.onmousedown=click;

// -->

</script>

if at first you do succeed...try not to look surprised!

There is nothing stopping a user either drag/ drop the image or screengrabbing.

There are a ton of ways to attempt to stop this but they all have easy to get around flaws.

SolarFrenzy

Solar powered gadgets at down to earth prices.

CheekyNaughty

Promoting British Design

You could try putting a watermark over your images - but I don't think it looks good.

Then there's a no right click javascript, which you need to copy n paste into the head tags, but not sure how to use it with the php, but maybe it'll help

<script language="JavaScript">

<!--

/*

No rightclick script v.2.5

© 1998 barts1000

[email protected]

Don't delete this header!

*/

var message="Sorry, that function is disabled.\nThis Page Copyrighted and\nImages and Text protected!\nALL RIGHTS RESERVED";

// Don't edit below!

function click(e) {

if (document.all) {

if (event.button == 2) {

alert(message);

return false;

}

}

if (document.layers) {

if (e.which == 3) {

alert(message);

return false;

}

}

}

if (document.layers) {

}

// -->

</script>

Thanks! Hmm, the no copy latter option is preferable - great! Could it be converted to .php if anyone wishes to add new contribution or something? I think it would be a real asset! It takes a lot of mundane time editing jpg, gif, bmp images and to have them copied to do with being prevented. Don't you think?

:thumbsup:

Regs

JS

here is the java code that I use on my site www.dvr-card.net

<script language=JavaScript>

<!--

var message="Warning: Contents & Graphics Copyright © Sharpvisioncctv.com"; // Message for the alert box

// Don't edit below!

function click(e) {

if (document.all) {

if (event.button == 2) {

alert(message);

return false;

}

}

if (document.layers) {

if (e.which == 3) {

alert(message);

return false;

}

}

}

if (document.layers) {

}

// -->

</SCRIPT>

Watermarks seem to be getting more common, to me at least. I see nothing wrong with putting the name of your web site somewhere on the image. Make it small and inconspicuous, but still clearly visible and easy to read, and difficult to erase from the image. (Have it overlap the product image partially, not just sitting in the empty space next to the image.) Some web sites put their company logo right over every image. Having that "stamp" on your image will greatly discourage anyone else from using the same file on their web site. If they do use it, they are giving you free advertising. This used to be a big problem for me, and some of my own images now appear in "free clip art collections." Since I started "stamping" everything, the problem has basically disappeared. People don't want to use an image if it has another web site stamped on it, not only because it gives the other site free publicity, but it's also embarrasing because it looks like they stole the image.

Thank you, I had done a few images with abbrev. domain name on so I guess I will carry on with that for now.

Thanks to all of you for your time.

JS

Any chance of someone helping me out of a very messy payment modules situation?

Please see red hearted new image today re. Paypal payments - I have sooo messed up and things are getting rather desparate - Loads of choc to sell but can't take payments and l'm not really getting the order amount I should for Valentines Day.

thank you so very much as I really do appreciate any help - as long as it is easy to understand

Less jargon for me = more appreciation!

It could be encrypted but is rarely worth the effort.

Jack

I have gotten around many "no right click" scripts. Simply hold the left button as you're clicking the right button, once the message goes away the save dialog opens, and bam, picture is free.

Archived