• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Attributes - Option Type Feature

I knew nothing about this stuff websites/programming 2 weeks ago, and now know slightly more than nothing, ie newbie.

I am wanting to have a product attribute where the customer can personalize the product by 'submitting' their name with the product. I found the Product Attributes - Option Type Feature contribution through another post. And I think I have the add-on (partly?) installed. I copied the files in the [catalog] folder of the contribution over the files in my own catalog [osCommerce]. I have not done anything else- no additional editing code or copying other files. When I then login to the admin of my osCommerce store then go to Catalog then Product Attributes I do see the [Length] text area, the drop down with (text, radio, checkbox, and textarea). However, when I try to add an attribute I get the following error message:

1054 - Unknown column 'products_options_type' in 'field list'

insert into products_options (products_options_id, products_options_name, language_id, products_options_type, products_options_length, products_options_comment) values ('6', 'Child Name', '1', '1', '9', '')

[TEP STOP]

1) What do I need to do to complete the install/correct the error?

2) For the attributes I've already created, do I need to do anything to assign [length] and [type] info?

2.1)Is this what the Clone vs Dynamic deals with? to assign in mass 'default' characteristics to the old attributes?

:blink:

Product Attributes - Option Type Feature

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...rch,option+type

Break it down like I know next to nothing...it's not far from the truth. Thank you for any help!

Ryan

Hi, have you run the sql files in the contribution?

No, I have never run any SQL files, are you able to describe how to? I have looked at the...'insert_text_option_value' and 'product_type_option', but i don't know what to do with them.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Ryan

No, I have never run any SQL files, are you able to describe how to? I have looked at the...'insert_text_option_value' and 'product_type_option', but i don't know what to do with them.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Ryan

Hi, The only way I know of is to use a program one of which is called phpMyAdmin. You probably have this somewhere in your cpanel (control panel) for your website. On one of mine I have to first go into MySQL Administration then the phpMyAdmin is in there. Search in your cpanel and you should find it. It was already available in both of the sites I have with different companies. Anyway, hopefully its there, if not maybe you can download it.

Assuming its there, what you do is make sure you have made a backup of your database! Just in case. Then go into phpmyadmin and make sure you are in the correct database if you have more then one on your site. You will see several tabs on the top of a box and one will be Import or if that isn't there then click on the one that shows SQL. You should get a Browse button feature. Just browse for where the SQL file is on your computer for the contribution installation and click GO or possibly RUN and that is all! it should do what the file commanded it to do. You may also manually cut and paste the SQL file contents into the box, but I would prefer to browse for it.

Hope this helps! Post back with any further questions.

Leslie

Thank you Leslie (!) I host through Lunarpages, and had to ask them if I had phpmyadmin, and where it was, doh. Once they informed me I do, and where, your instructions worked like a charm! I was all smiles to see my osC/admin with the TEXT option working.

This community is really impressive.

Thank you so much,

Ryan