• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

On Local PC Build Store - or At WebHost Build It?

Hi-it'sK

Hello,

I need to start building my store. I've downloaded the osC files to my PC for now. I don't have my webhost account set up (yet), but I know who I'm going to use already. I just didn't want to pay for the hosting yet until my site gets closer to going 'live'.

What would you all recommend that I do? Start my hosting package now to build my store on their servers? My site will not be on the web yet though, since it's not ready. Will that cause problems during testing and set up?

Or, should I build the store section on my local PC first, then upload it later when I get ready to go live? Will that transfer process be problematic?

Please advise... thank you!!

I would install EasyPHP on your PC and develope your site there, once your happy with it find a good host and upload your site and database, you will need to modify you include/configure.php (catalog and admin) files to match the new server settings and you may need to do a little tweaking but it shouldnt be to bad.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

I would install EasyPHP on your PC and develope your site there, once your happy with it find a good host and upload your site and database, you will need to modify you include/configure.php (catalog and admin) files to match the new server settings and you may need to do a little tweaking but it shouldnt be to bad.

Thank you. So where should I go to find the EasyPHP stuff?

There are enough web addresses in my sig to get a local web server running on your pg complete with mysql.

This will help ith transferring it to a host server.

A guide to the configure.php files, Or how to move your site without breaking anything.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193738

How to move a site then go live

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=287726

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Archived