• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Select country before entering website (changes currency too)

TheLastWord

I want my customers to select a country before they can enter the website. This will also change the currency based on the selected country. For example if the customer selects Australia. The currency of the website will be in AU dollars. If United Kingdom is select the currency will be in GBP. etc...

Is there a lot of programming involved? I have a feeling there would be. Is there anyone I can pay to do this? I know what I want just can't do the programming.

• 9 months later...
I want my customers to select a country before they can enter the website. This will also change the currency based on the selected country. For example if the customer selects Australia. The currency of the website will be in AU dollars. If United Kingdom is select the currency will be in GBP. etc...

Is there a lot of programming involved? I have a feeling there would be. Is there anyone I can pay to do this? I know what I want just can't do the programming.

Nudge....would be interested in this too. I have a client that doesn't want a difference in cost based on currency. It is $100 in either Canadian or US Dollar. Is there a solution, or at least a way to get the currency box to show up on the confirmation page?

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated. Might even pay for the appropriate help on this one.

Thanks.

I have no doubt that some customers wouldn't want to pay a 'diferent' price! With different currencies having different exchange rates they could save a fortune - at your expense :blink:

Eg. 1GBP = US$1.50 = CA$1.85 = AUS$2.33 and so on.

If you charge US$100 for an article and the customer sends you CA$100 they've actually paid you US$81 :o

When all else fails ... RTFI ... then ... GIVE UP!

I have no doubt that some customers wouldn't want to pay a 'diferent' price! With different currencies having different exchange rates they could save a fortune - at your expense :blink:

Eg. 1GBP = US$1.50 = CA$1.85 = AUS$2.33 and so on.

If you charge US$100 for an article and the customer sends you CA$100 they've actually paid you US$81 :o

There in lies the issue for the client. They want to charge Canadians $100 CAD, and those in the U.S. $100 USD. They have obligations to merchandisers in both countries not to undercut or overcharge. Therefor, if the USD is the base fee, they are charging far more than their retailers in Canada, and if they charge CAD, they are making it too cheap and conflicting with US retailers.

They do not want a conversion rate applied. They want a straight charge. I'd like to offer them the ability pay a flat fee per country, and not worry about the conversion rates, because they are having to refund Canadians, or take the hit for US customers.

Thanks for any help available.

Wolf.

Nevermind...we've opted for a GUI that allows the visitor to select their country and redirect with cookie to a second (third, etc) shop for them to use without exchange rate or global shipping differences interfering.

Thanks.

There in lies the issue for the client. They want to charge Canadians $100 CAD, and those in the U.S. $100 USD. They have obligations to merchandisers in both countries not to undercut or overcharge. Therefor, if the USD is the base fee, they are charging far more than their retailers in Canada, and if they charge CAD, they are making it too cheap and conflicting with US retailers.

They do not want a conversion rate applied. They want a straight charge. I'd like to offer them the ability pay a flat fee per country, and not worry about the conversion rates, because they are having to refund Canadians, or take the hit for US customers.

Thanks for any help available.

Wolf.

I know exactly what you mean. Here in Blighty we are sick and tired of seeing goods available in the US at prices that are reflected 1:1 even though the US$ is still only worth £0.66. Six months ago it was nearer to £0.50!

Conversely we cannot sell a £100 item for US$100 as the difference tends to be greater than our profit margin: At least my profit margin can't take that kind of differential!

It just goes to show how much profit can be made by the larger cartels (energy, autos, electronics, etc) that they can often absorb large differences in exchange rates.

When all else fails ... RTFI ... then ... GIVE UP!

Archived