• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ERROR: Destination not writable

tambay

Yesterday I uploaded some items into my catalogue not problems at all. Today I log on and go to add more catalogue items and a red error messages appear when uploading pictures, as follows:

ERROR: Destination not writeable.

ERROR: Catalog images directory is not writeable: home/etc/etc/etc/images

My item was uploaded to my site, but without a picture...which is a disaster.

I went to File Manager and it came up with a different error messages as follows:

ERROR: Backup directory is not writeable.

Any ideas on how to rectify this problem, and why it happened?

Ok...I found this topic...but it doesn't help my problem at all.

So you unserstand that you have to change the permissions on home/etc/etc/etc/images. Please explain how you are doing it.

So you unserstand that you have to change the permissions on home/etc/etc/etc/images. Please explain how you are doing it.

Hi Coopco,

I went into cpanel, and then into file manager. I clicked on both public_html and images and permissions are ticked for the user: read, write and execute. For group and world they are checked for read and execute, but not checked for write. So it all looks ok to me.

Where am I going wrong?

In cpanel under "error log" is shows 2 errors:

[Thu Jan 31 19:54:04 2008] [error] [my client number] File does not exist: /home/tambaytr/public_html/404.shtml

[Thu Jan 31 19:54:04 2008] [error] [my client number] File does not exist: /home/tambaytr/public_html/tambay/cpanel

In cpanel/file manager/error pages...error 404 means "wrong page".

Does any of this help you?

Oops...error above: "group" and "world" are ticked read only (execute is not ticked on group and world in cpanel/file manager/public_html or images).

That is why they are not writable. Try 775.

Was the forum down for about an hour or two?

That is why they are not writable. Try 775.

Was the forum down for about an hour or two?

Hi Coopco...I will go change them all to writeable. I thought group and world would enable everyone to make changes?

I didn't have any problems with the forum tonight.

I am not sure how to change them to 775, but I did see numbers beside them...I think 750 and some were 755...or it may have been 775. I will let you know how I go.

Don't know how they got changed though. They were fine yesterday.

Ahhh...just figured out what 775 is - how obvious hey - LOL.

Anyway, I did that and nothing happened. My pictures still aren't uploading. Do I need to change to 777, or is that too risky?

Because it did not work on 775, I changed it to 777...but I am still getting the error message that:

Error: Catalog images directory is not writeable: /home/tambaytr/public_html/tambay/images/

Because it did not work on 775, I changed it to 777...but I am still getting the error message that:

Error: Catalog images directory is not writeable: /home/tambaytr/public_html/tambay/images/

Is that the correct address for your catalog images?

Hey Coopco...yes, that is the directory where my pictures are. I've checked the cpanel/file manager, and it is 775.

It also says that my backup director is not writeable. I have also checked that under cpanel/file manager, and it too is 775.

I just don't understand what has gone wrong. It is so frustrating. As far as I see, it should be working.

You were up late last night.

Hello Coopco...just thought I would give you an update.

I spoke to my server, and he said that everything is set up fine. He cannot understand why I am getting these messages. I have enough space at the moment, and the permissions are all correct.

I have sent him the error messages by email and he is going to refer it to "his people" (I believe a php programmer), and see what they say.

But even he is stumped at this present point in time.

I would hate to have to redo my whole website again...but it looks as though that might be a possibility as my backup directory is also unwriteable for some reason.

It's amazing how much I am learning through all of this though...but have a big headache. LOL

Hi Coopco...the backup directory I am also having problems with. Same problem "Backup directory is not writeable".

Hi Tamara

/home/tambaytr/

is that correct?

Archived