• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I change the breadcrumb text?

Kenja

Hi. I am trying to figure out how to change the root breadcrumb text in the header from "Home" to some SEO keywords "My Keywords" for my index page. I can't seem to find where the text is defined in OSC. I searched all the files and did not find anything, so maybe it is set through the database. If anyone knows how to do this, I would appreciate it.

For those who don't understand what I'm trying to do... The search engines determine how relevant a page is by looking at incoming links and the text of those links. They look at both external links as well as linking within the site. By having a link with your desired keywords on each page pointing at the page you want to rank highly, it will help move your rank up with the search engines on that page for those keywords. It isn't a solution in itself, as there are many other aspects of SEO, but it definitely helps.

Unfortunately it appears that my store has been customized and does not use that file anymore for the breadcrumbs. The text in the file calls it "Top" and my store calls it "Home". I can't remember if I made the change or if an old business partner did it. I guess I'll have to rip into the code and figure it out. Thanks anyway!

Unfortunately it appears that my store has been customized and does not use that file anymore for the breadcrumbs. The text in the file calls it "Top" and my store calls it "Home". I can't remember if I made the change or if an old business partner did it. I guess I'll have to rip into the code and figure it out. Thanks anyway!

Do you have these 2 lines?

define('HEADER_TITLE_TOP', 'Top');

define('HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG', 'Home');

May have also changed part of it in application_top.php. See if you have this.

// include the breadcrumb class and start the breadcrumb trail

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb.php');

$breadcrumb = new breadcrumb;

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT));

Hi Guys,

On the same topic but different function, Do you know how to change the breadcrumb to give the product NAME not model. At the moment it has HOME > CATEGORY > PRODUCT MODEL I would like this to be HOME > CATEGORY > PRODUCT NAME. I tried a few simple things, like changing this in the application_top.php

// add the products model to the breadcrumb trail

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {

$model_query = tep_db_query("select products_model from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

if (tep_db_num_rows($model_query)) {

$model = tep_db_fetch_array($model_query);

$breadcrumb->add($model['products_model'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']));

I made it say products_name instead of products_model but got an error. My php not great so if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Ta muchly

Denise

Archived