• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Testing Database Connection...

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it can take or should take for this initial installation process to complete? I have restarted it a dozen times and it never completes, maybe I am not giving it enough time. No way to tell because it has no feedback as it works. Appreciate any ideas...Bob

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it can take or should take for this initial installation process to complete? I have restarted it a dozen times and it never completes, maybe I am not giving it enough time. No way to tell because it has no feedback as it works. Appreciate any ideas...Bob

If your talking about installing The shopping cart database for the first time, then it should be almost instant.

If your talking about installing The shopping cart database for the first time, then it should be almost instant.

Mine is, and its hanging for ages.. after doing a search, it seems its a very common thing..

I have checked register_long_arrays = ON

as sugested in one post

Is there anywhere it logs what the issue may be?? strikes me as there are so many reasons it may not work??

I do see a similar behaviour. Upon installation I entered the database connection information (host, dbname, user, password) and the install page tries testing the connection.

There is a little gear rotating - however the Apache server has already an http status 500 for that request in its log.

How can I find out what happened in the background? Why does the db connection test never terminate?

I gave up and deleted the application and threw everything away. The thing is basically a waste of time. I have read reviews of the software that pretty confirm it is more trouble than it is worth. :angry: ...Bob

I gave up and deleted the application and threw everything away. The thing is basically a waste of time. I have read reviews of the software that pretty confirm it is more trouble than it is worth. :angry: ...Bob

Sorry to hear about your troubles, From your description, it sounds to as if somthing was set up wrong. Maybe you had the wong level of php, or your database was not compatible for some reason. also Sometimes upon uploading the cart, connection is broken and all the files don't get uploaded. maybe you just typed in the wrong server address or somthing. When it works, it only takes a second and it says database conection successful. shouldn't be hanging up at all.

any way good luck next time

From your description, it sounds to as if somthing was set up wrong. Maybe you had the wong level of php, or your database was not compatible for some reason. also Sometimes upon uploading the cart, connection is broken and all the files don't get uploaded. maybe you just typed in the wrong server address or somthing. When it works, it only takes a second and it says database conection successful. shouldn't be hanging up at all.

Well, I'm still here trying... ;-)

On one computer I installed everything from scratch (mysql, apache, php) and oscommerce for the first time. The db connection test never terminated.

Then I tried it on another computer, where within a second the setup began populating the database. So obviously there was something wrong on the first computer. But what?

If it is, as you say,

- wrong level of php: That should be checked on the first page of the installer, right? It was ok.

- database not compatible: I used mysql 4.1.22, which should be compatible. Still then, on incompatibility I'd expect an error message popping up like 'connection failed'.

- incomplete upload of the cart: My setup is an all local installation so far, so it is just file copying on the local hard drive. I got no error message during that.

- wrong server address: Why do I not get an error message such as 'unknown host' or 'host does not respond'? Still, the hostname I used was localhost.

All in all I expect the setup to tell me something, just anything. It does not, well. But then I'd like to see another way to find out what happened. Is there any kind of logging that I can turn on? The PHP error log does not contain a single line.

If that is your final conclusion I might be interested how you solved your 'I need a webshop' question. None is not an option for me.

What we need is somone that understands what its up to, to give us some step by step instructions, to find the source of the issue..

From the forums, you can see its a very common issue.. but with many reasons for the issue..

HELP !!!

Well, I'm still here trying... ;-)

On one computer I installed everything from scratch (mysql, apache, php) and oscommerce for the first time. The db connection test never terminated.

Then I tried it on another computer, where within a second the setup began populating the database. So obviously there was something wrong on the first computer. But what?

If it is, as you say,

- wrong level of php: That should be checked on the first page of the installer, right? It was ok.

- database not compatible: I used mysql 4.1.22, which should be compatible. Still then, on incompatibility I'd expect an error message popping up like 'connection failed'.

- incomplete upload of the cart: My setup is an all local installation so far, so it is just file copying on the local hard drive. I got no error message during that.

- wrong server address: Why do I not get an error message such as 'unknown host' or 'host does not respond'? Still, the hostname I used was localhost.

All in all I expect the setup to tell me something, just anything. It does not, well. But then I'd like to see another way to find out what happened. Is there any kind of logging that I can turn on? The PHP error log does not contain a single line.

Well, I salute all of your determination. If tried to install free software and it failed. I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. Though once I did have a problem using the name localhost. double check to see if there is not an ip address like p41mysql113.somthingsomthing associated with that localhost. I am may be waisting your time with my suggestions. Hanging up could be a lot of things especially if you are your own host. Not to be a jerk but I tell ya what. I always use a commercial host like godaddy and I never have half the problems people complain about on this forum. You can always do that if nothing else. It works for me. As to what is wrong with your computer, can't help you.

Though once I did have a problem using the name localhost. double check to see if there is not an ip address like p41mysql113.somthingsomthing associated with that localhost.

I'm pretty sure my localhost is mapped to 127.0.0.1 as I ultimately connected to my oscommerce installation from the browser using http://localhost/catalog/admin/index.php.

The problem probably is obvious, I suspect it in the Apache/PHP/mysql setup. But if a setup routine, whose job it is to check requirements and create necessary settings does not respond I am left all alone guessing. There also seems to be no checklist around that I could go though manually.

Apache works as expected. It responds to requests and serves files.

PHP executes scripts well. The Apache module is in place, and running http://localhost/catalog/admin/index.php will not produce php script text in the browser but the php script's html output.

MySQL responds to requests from another application, I just created a new database with a new user for oscommerce.

So why does oscommerce not connect to my database? How can I find out why?

Cracked it..

Not using any special logging.. THAT IS STILL NEEDED!

Although the page prior says its fine to install, even tho the php - mysql extention has a cross..

once i sorted that, the next step worked..

Good luck the rest of you

Archived