• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New member - General questions

DMadzar

Hello to all,

First of all, I would like to say: WOW! Many Thanks for this open source EShop. It is so powerful!!!

I'm new member and would like just few answers before going further with OSCommerce.

I just installed it and setting up the administrativ options etc...

Questions:

-1. Are there critical updates, fixes for security to install over this basic installation?

-2. Are there important updates to name quickly here to have more nice tools included to OSCommerce? :-)

-3. Is there anything I have to know that you think it is important for a new user please?

That's it, thanks again to all people who contribued to build this web shop template. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

DMadzar

Depends on the version toy have downloaded but patches are included with each release of Oscommerce and are generally in the extras directory. The files have names like update-yyyymmdd.html and update-yyyymmdd.txt.

These files contain a shed load of patches that should be applied to a stock install, but as this is not shown as a step in the documentation / installation instruction that I have read, most people won't until they run into a problem. Then they will find a solution to one problem via the forums.

http://www.oscommerce.com/ext/update-20060817.txt

To answer your second question, i think, best to hunt through the contributions and install those that you want/need for your site.

Satish has a list of contributions he recommends for better site visibility on search engines and I always say Easy Populate for product uploading.

Finally read the knowledge base and bear in mind it may not be for the version you are installing.

Enjoy

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Archived