• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal IPN and non-returning customers

vimes

Hi,

I am using Paypal IPN.

Most of my customers want to pay by credit or debit cards, and not via a paypal account, though I use Paypal as my transaction process service.

Most of said (wonderful) customers fail to return to my website after paying at Paypal (wouldn't you, after paypal presents me with a screen saying 'congratulations! you have succesfully paid for your purchase!), which means that although I have an order listed in my db and a notification of payment from paypal, the stock levels for the purchased items are not updated.

I am relatively happy with the way my store works at the mo, apart from the lack of stock updating.

After casting about these forums and the paypal website for several days, my understanding of the problem is this;

1) To fully complete the order, thereby forcing a stock update, my customers must return from the paypal website using the set-up link provided.

2) If I will only accept payments via a paypal account, i.e. not straight credit card payments from non-paypal account holders, I can set an 'auto return' function in my paypal profile to force a customer auto return to my site after payment.

3) If I want to accept payments from both paypal account holders and non-account holders, paypal will not allow the auto return function.

Is this correct?

If it is, is there a way/a contrib where I can manually force a stock update on orders in the db where the customer did not return and thereby complete the full payment process?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I have exactly the same problem, customers paying in paypal then leaving from the PayPal screen, no orders are left and we are constantly emailing the customer for confirmation of what was in their order and the address to send the items too. Please could somebody help out with this? Is there any way that if paypal payment is selected and the customer hits confirm order, the information can be processed into the database at that time?

This is a really big problem please any assistance is much appreciated.

Hey mate, found a good module that should help you out, I am just about to install it myself.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3539

It will send an email once a customer reaches checkout_confirmation.php, detailing the full order status. So if a customer does pay with paypal then leave before returning to the store you will have a order total already emailed to you which you can compare with your PayPal records.

I think something does need to be done about this in the standard PayPal module within oscommerce, as it is a problem that can happen to everyone and some may not have any idea how to handle it. If anything I would almost class this as a Bug within oscommerce, due to the ease of which this can happen and will leave many people stranded for information.

Thanks,

Roy.

I thought that was just some special Paypal account thing in the United States, does it work with standard paypal buisness accounts too?

When you mention inventory updates, do you mean the product details are passed to paypal? This problem is happening because the user goes to paypal, makes payment then leaves immediately from the PayPal screen, so they do not return to the store and the information is never processed.

Could you explain a bit more, I have no idea about how that all works, I am just using the standard PayPal module that came with OSC. IPN is also there however I seen that you need some kind of SSL and authority numbers, something we don't use as referring to paypal is secure already.

Same problem here.

stock not updated properly, and it's impossible to know if it was updated or not (if customer returned or not.)

This situation stinks.

-Why can't stock be updated instantly when PayPal payment is acknowledged in the order?

It would be good if it was to automatically process the order once paypal method is confirmed, and if the buyer does not return to the shop after payment it could show up with a "Unknown" order status in the orders list, would make things much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok = I understand about the add-on, but how does one add it on?- Could you please advise where I can find step-by-step instructions that are easy to comprehend.

Thanks, Diane

Hey mate, found a good module that should help you out, I am just about to install it myself.

It will send an email once a customer reaches checkout_confirmation.php, detailing the full order status. So if a customer does pay with paypal then leave before returning to the store you will have a order total already emailed to you which you can compare with your PayPal records.

I think something does need to be done about this in the standard PayPal module within oscommerce, as it is a problem that can happen to everyone and some may not have any idea how to handle it. If anything I would almost class this as a Bug within oscommerce, due to the ease of which this can happen and will leave many people stranded for information.

Thanks,

Roy.

It would be good if it was to automatically process the order once paypal method is confirmed, and if the buyer does not return to the shop after payment it could show up with a "Unknown" order status in the orders list, would make things much easier.

Well Paypal IPN has that solution.

here thru backend system paypal send IPn (Instant Payment Notrification).

Its a full proof concept.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Well Paypal IPN has that solution.

here thru backend system paypal send IPn (Instant Payment Notrification).

Its a full proof concept.

Satish

no, actually PayPal IPN causes problems - when IPN message is not returned for some reason, then the goods sold(statistics), and stock are not updated, even the payment is received.

I recently switched to "PayPal standard" contrib, because it proved to get IPN message, after "paypal IPN" suddently stopped to do so.

no, actually PayPal IPN causes problems - when IPN message is not returned for some reason, then the goods sold(statistics), and stock are not updated, even the payment is received.

I recently switched to "PayPal standard" contrib, because it proved to get IPN message, after "paypal IPN" suddently stopped to do so.

How does one make the switch to Paypal standard, and where is it done?

Diane

I've added the following cotrib as a safety net....

[thanks for the heads up roy]

Trouble is I need/ would like to add the product attributes to the email in the pending_order_email.php file... For all my love I can't work out how to reference my attributes - e.g SOCKs, Large, Blue, Flavour Cheese!

:'(

I've added the following cotrib as a safety net....

please understand that in case customer paid, and IPN did not work - then admin must still update stock manually for each order, and, sold products statistics will be unchanged, and, IPN should work without people returning, so sending an email seems on checkout_confirmation.php will not be always telling the truth, because working IPN does not require return.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a solution for the module I listed above (Pending Order Email / http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3539), I have modified it to accept attribute details. We are using this in an automotive online shop, as such our attributes are mainly for a product application (determines which car the product is for) so in the email it reads Customer Selected Product Application or Option: followed by the attribute listing.

This is a really quick fix, I will clean it all up and add it into the contribs as a complete package including all other files, this zip only includes "pending_order_email.php" which is located in the "catalog/includes/functions/" folder, backup before running this in case it does not run as smoothly as it does on my host.

http://www.virtual-r.com/downloads/pending_order_email.zip

Hope this helps you guys out for the time being.

Roy.

Edited by Virtual-R

Here is a solution for the module I listed above (Pending Order Email / http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3539), I have modified it to accept attribute details. We are using this in an automotive online shop, as such our attributes are mainly for a product application (determines which car the product is for) so in the email it reads Customer Selected Product Application or Option: followed by the attribute listing.

This is a really quick fix, I will clean it all up and add it into the contribs as a complete package including all other files, this zip only includes "pending_order_email.php" which is located in the "catalog/includes/functions/" folder, backup before running this in case it does not run as smoothly as it does on my host.

http://www.virtual-r.com/downloads/pending_order_email.zip

Hope this helps you guys out for the time being.

Roy.

Getting somewhere now, Thanks Roy.

We just need to get it working for Multiple Attributes to multiple products. It seems to only put the last attribute of the last product for me [but then if theres a way of getting it wrong I'll always find it!] I've had a little hack around and only make things worse. Looking forward very much to the final solution.

Helping 'Newbies' like me will only encourage far more inteligent people than myself to have a go - good news for everyone.

Keep up the good work.

:thumbsup:

Yeah after you mentioned that I noticed the problem, I originally only tested with a single item so it was not apparent at the time. I have a fair idea already how to correct it, will get onto it very soon and let you know what I come up with. This issue will need to be fixed for our store too so its up the top of the to-do list for online stuff :)

If YOu do have Paypal IPN file at proper place.

Plus your setting in Paypal profile is ok.

Then there is no reason for Paypal IPN to create issues.

The best way is place some code tat sends You an email whenever an IPN is recd.This will help YOU further.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.