• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What do you think about my store

alex2k7

Nothing?

At least some feedback on the loading speed, colors or product presentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex..

1. loading is ok.. could have tried some thumbnail contributions.. I suppose thats why it takes so muchtiem to load the page. yeah teh product pages load fast..

2. the search appears shifted . was the degine supposed to eb that way ?

3. login page.. the bos is missing for the register box.. .. could have removed for the login page as well.. for a similar classic ebay look ;)

4. i think cum_cumpar.php is a help page (sorry i am an indian know less of the world langs ;).. ) but that really looks cool. I will take that piece of cake for my next site ;).

5. for privacy notice.. i think the translation is same .. the privacy notice page has the english heading..

6. similar transport page.

7. Conditii Utilizare page fonts a sort of big..

8. teh date of birth is a bit tedious field.. try to change to something simpler.. you can find one contrib which converts them to a list of values.. really removes some pain off the user ;).

9. newsletter and fax number prompts still in english ( or am I reading roman :'( )

10. similarly logoff in the logoff page as well..

And finally one bug i found :blink:

the breadcrump has a broken link .. top and the next one seem to point to the same location.. but yeah next to the top is broken link !! check it up !!

one more..

the email address is not mandatory.. but you need that for login rt?

and one more..

the headers is a link ?? why is the finger coming up ??

Hey site looks cool.. wil sure have a look for more.. liked the colour scheme ;)..

Good luck..

Let me know if you need some help..

Cheers

Hari

Thanks for the complete review.

I fixed some of the issues you told me about and the rest are in progress .

1. I'll try to integrate a thumbnail contribution to reduce the load time

2. shifted...you mean it is not exactly at the center? That was my intention in order to attract attention to it along with the change in color

3. good idea to make it similar to ebay. I'll integrate that soon.

4. cum_cumpar.php is indeed a "how do I buy page". Glad you like it ;)

5 , 6 . you're right. Just translated the contents but not the file name

7. yes , it's a lot of text and I think I'll make it a bit smaller

8. I removed the protection for the birthday because a lot of users had problems with this and I'm not really interested in when they were born

9. fixed

10. soon to be fixed

I'll also kill the bad links as soon as possible.

@monster061

The colors have 2 main aspects as a basis:

Red is for Telwin - the main supplier of welding equipment that we are selling , and a big part of our sales

Blue - for Bosch

Site Review for: Scule de top

A site map is useful for SEO to make it easier for indexing spiders to find all content of a site. Search engine spiders or bots have a hard time following links that use JavaScript, like mouseovers. A site map with a collection of plain text links to all pages can make it easier for more pages of a site to be included in a search engine index. Consider installing the following module:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2208

Acceptable forms of payment should be clearly displayed on your store to let customers know exactly what forms of payment are accepted. This may include displaying credit card, Google Checkout or Paypal logos. This information should preferably be displayed in the footer. However, under certain circumstances when site pages are too long this information should be displayed within an infobox. See the following module for instructions on how to create a Credit Card Payment Logo Box:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5413

Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a commonly-used protocol for managing the security of a message transmission on the Internet. SSL should be installed for all osCommerce stores because every osCommerce store handles sensitive client information (contact, billing and shipping information). For more information on SSL installation please contact your hosting provider. A SSL logo should be clearly displayed (in your footer or an infobox) so that customers know that your store is taking measures to protect their personal information.

Images should be kept as small as possible for one reason: speed. Your visitors will not stay around forever to wait for your website to load. To reduce image size you will need to either use a competent image manipulation program or thumbnail module. See the following module for more information:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2226

Sometimes simpler is better. Presenting lots of information to users often leads to confusion. I suggest that you reduce the number of infoboxes located within your store. For example, often the currencies and language can be removed if only the US dollar and English are being offered as options.

Navigational menus should not contain images. It is suggested that you use a CSS stylized list for navigational menus. Search engine spiders have a much easier time crawling text web links rather than images.

I suggest removing the product count from your categories infobox. The product count slows down your website's loading time and are generally unnecessary. In addition, if your categories infobox contain (->) arrows, I suggest that these also be removed.

A Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart (CAPTCHA) is a type of challenge-response test used in computing to determine whether the user is human. The main purpose of CAPTCHA is to prevent spam. I suggest installing this module. In addition, if your contact us page contains email addresses, consider removing them. For more information please visit the link below:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4960

I suggest switching to an Amazon style login example here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/sign-in.html This form of login in my opinion is very familiar to many online shoppers. For more information please visit the link below:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2073

Comments:

As mentioned previously your store is very slow loading. Also, you have lots of information presented to the customer all at once. Finally, the scrolling text in the header is annoying and should be removed.

Andrew's Overall Score:

64/100 = 64%

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the complete review.

It's a work in progress and I'll be sure to implement some of you suggestions on the way .

Now I'm happy to say that the number of visitors per day has risen to about 700 and I hope to be able to turn a greater percentage of them into conversions.

Thanks,

Alex

later edit : the slow load speed may be caused by the fact that the hosting server is located in Romania.

I tested it locally and it loads quite fast.

Good Day,

Review done in Firefox2.0/broken WinXP Pro, 1024x768 16 bit resolution.

First comment has to be that I could not read a word on your site. I am limited to English only so I won't be distracted by content.

I am not a big fan of flashing graphics on a website.

.....Your scrolling header seemed subdued enough to get a nod of approval from me.

.....Personally I did not like the red ATENTIE thing glaring at me in the center of the page (I am guessing that "promotie" referes to some sort of promotional thing)

.....The YouTube clip was actually the first thing to grab my attention. From what I saw I am guessing that it is a sales object promoting backup electric generators. Very good touch. I hope it sells many units for you.

I don't know if you used a template or designed your own look. The button and icons looked decent. I kinda question the two red stripes across your site. I am referring to the breadcrumb bar (with attached red search tab) and the footer bar. Red, especially the way it is used, should be reserved for error notices.

You have a pretty good size store going here, many different products. Probably one of the largest stores I've reviewed lately. You've been doing allot of work.

I do want to criticize the byte-size of many of the images. Fairly slow loading site (maybe because of Romania to MN,USA).

All the images had a defined size causing some of them to be distorted. In my shop, I commented out the part of the image function in html_output.php which defined an image height leaving only a defined width so all images will view undistorted but can vary in height. For me this was a solution to having a mish-mash of image sizes. A side effect is that product listing rows vary in height.

Your site seems pretty good. I didn't find anything blatantly "wrong" with it. There was nothing that made me go "wow" on your site either.

I would remove the youtube video as it is taking A LOT of the attention away from the products. First golden rule is to show your new, specials, and best priced items in the index, not a video that will move down all the items making the customers have to scroll to see what's going on.

imo, i would make a banner or a link saying "Watch this video of whatever it is about", so you have your index products space, and those who wants to see the video or are curious about it can click on the link and see the video. Fowarding the link to youtube would be great, as people can leave you a feedback overe there. The more reachable you are, as a person, more 'trust' you get.

Just added a new tab based promo presentation.

The YouTube video is from a news report on prime time regarding some generators we installed but I'll soon make it smaller in order to have the users attention on the products.

For now I have 7 tabs that are shown random. Only the first one is always the first : Attention we have demolated the prices ! Big promotions on in many categories ....something like this is the translation and the link goes to specials.php .

How do you like the new tabs? I intend on using them for new promotions and big discounts that have to catch the attention.

@ dcphosting : I know some of the images look a bit nasty. I hope next week I'll be able to get a graphics guy to take all my pictures and resize them manually in order to have a cleaner looking site.

Thanks guys for taking the time to review and for the suggestions that are alway welcomed.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ,

Please a critical eye on my store :)

i translated from english.php, every word in romanian language.

I can't make the date in romanian language.

Duminica, 2 martie 2008 instead Sunday 02 March 2008.

I already changed:

// look in your $PATH_LOCALE/locale directory for available locales

// or type locale -a on the server.

// Examples:

// on RedHat try 'en_US'

// on FreeBSD try 'en_US.ISO_8859-1'

// on Windows try 'en', or 'English'

@setlocale(LC_TIME, 'ro_RO.ISO8859-2');

define('DATE_FORMAT_SHORT', '%d/%m/%Y'); // this is used for strftime()

define('DATE_FORMAT_LONG', '%A %d %B, %Y'); // this is used for strftime()

define('DATE_FORMAT', 'd/m/Y'); // this is used for date()

define('DATE_TIME_FORMAT', DATE_FORMAT_SHORT . ' %H:%M:%S');

and in admin section too.

Please some advice about layout, etc. It is very important for me, for my business...your critical eye.

THANK YOU!

The store is located at:

www.adifar.ro

Have a nice day!

Archived