• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Create Account Page is Timing Out

Hi Folks,

I've run into an interesting problem that I can't figure out. When running my oscommerce site on my production server, everything works great. However, when I'm running the same code (but using a local configure.php file, obviously) the site always hangs up (times out) when I press "Continue" on the "Create Account" page. I've searched through other posts on this forum and they seem to blame in improperly setup SSL certificate. I'm actually not using any SSL because I'm on my development box. The error logs in Apache aren't that helpful. The only error I get is "Non-authoritative answer:", whatever that means. I've attached a snippet of my configure.php file below, if that helps. I've been playing around with the cache, cookies, and sessions settings on the site and they don't seem to modulate the problem at all. I've disabled email on the site thinking that it might be that as well, but it wasn't. I've double-checked and this user does have insert privileges on this database so thats probably not it either. I don't really know what else to try. Anyone have any ideas?

Warm regards,

James

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://riscis.com'); // eg, http://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers
 define('HTTPS_SERVER', ''); // eg, https://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers
 define('ENABLE_SSL', 'false'); // secure webserver for checkout procedure?
 define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'riscis.com');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
 define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/honeybeesoaps/');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '');
 define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/honeybeesoaps/');
 define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/honeybeesoaps/');
 define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');
 define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');
 define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');
 define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');
 define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');
 define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');
 define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');
 define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

Ok, a few more updates...

I finally properly configured Apache on my dev box to run SSL and I installed a self-signed certificate to see if that might be the problem. That didn't seem to be it though. The page still hangs when I press "Continue" on the create_account.php page. I also tried using the root username and password for MySQL thinking that it might be a database privilege thing but that didn't seem to help either. Does anyone else have any suggestions? The site works fine when I upload it to GoDaddy (LAMP). Its only on my WAMP development box that this one page is not working.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Warm regards,

James

Jan,

Thanks for your response. I'll give that a try but riscis.com is the domain name for my development box so that should work too right?

Regards,

James

Shouldn't the HTTP server not be localhost too (or 127.0.0.1) in your configure.php?

Yeah, that didn't fix it. Keep the suggestions coming though. Thanks.

Warm regards,

James

Ok, it looks like I figured it out. I'll post my solution here so someone else can find it and not waste three days trying to debug like I did. :thumbsup:

It looks like when I set Configuration->Customer Details->Gender to false, it removed the gender input box from the Create Account form. However, in the 'customers' and 'address_book' tables, the gender field is set to NOT NULL. So how, my friends, do we insert a non-NULL value into the table when the input field doesn't exist (and gender is, hence, null)?

The solution (you guessed it) is to change the "customers_gender" in the "customers" table and the "entry_gender" field in the "address_book" table to allow NULL values. Another solution might be, although I didn't test this, is to add a default value of '0' for these two fields instead of altering them to allow NULL values. Take your pick.

The real mystery to me is why does this work on my LAMP production server and not on my WAMP development server. The table structure on my LAMP server doesn't allow NULLs for gender but it still works anyway. Oh well, I'll ponder that over a well deserved beer.

I hope this helps at least one other person out there.

Warm regards,

James

Archived