• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Moving/deleting batches of products or categories

stlladyt

I've searched for an answer here, but all I've found are other similar problems with no answers.

I have uploaded several batches of products, but now I need to move many of the products to different categories. Right now, all I can do is go through one at a time to move them, a nightmarish proposition when you consider I've added 1000s of products.

I also have some duplicates that I need to delete, which could be done in batches.

Has anyone found a solution? I think it would be great if there were a checkbox for each product, like in most e-mail clients, where you could pick and choose, or select an entire group to then move or delete. Any developers out there that could come up with that code?

Although I have a good background in html, I'm a novice to php, but I'm not a total idiot, so this is driving me crazy...I know there has to be a way, I just don't know how to do it!

Install Easy Populate

Create a download file of all product.

You can then flag product as inactive or edit the categories.

Trial and error and the EP installation/instruction manual will show you how to achieve your aims.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Install Easy Populate

Create a download file of all product.

You can then flag product as inactive or edit the categories.

Trial and error and the EP installation/instruction manual will show you how to achieve your aims.

First of all, I loaded the products by EasyPopulate in the first place. I want to change the categories I originally assigned the products to. As confirmed in other posts I've seen here, if you upload an updated list, it simply makes copies of the products, it doesn't just move them. Then I would be left with the problem of deleting all of the old ones, so my problem would still exist

Have you thought of this?

Download EP file

Amend file to delete entire product list.

Upload and Run

Amend file to put them in new categories

Upload and Run

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Have you thought of this?

Download EP file

Amend file to delete entire product list.

Upload and Run

Amend file to put them in new categories

Upload and Run

I had thought of that, and would love to do so, but with over 800 active products and hundreds more of inactive products, I cannot get the file to download before it times out. It's simply too large.

After writing that last post and continuing to think about it, I realized that your solution wouldn't work anyway, even if I could get the entire list to download.

You can load as many different lists as you want, none of them cancel out the others, they can only update products that are currently in the store. If the new list has a product in a different category than what's already in the store, it simply makes a copy in the new category, leaving the old one in the old category. This is part of the reason that I have the problem that I have.

My mistake was when I originally thought I'd only upload a small list of the products available to me...then later thinking maybe I should load them all. Since I didn't want to go through and figure out which of the thousands of products on the list were already in my store, I changed the product codes of all of them and uploaded all of them as Inactive. This would have been a good idea if only I had put them in the same categories the old ones were in. Instead, I put them under a main category of "Coming Soon," which makes a new category on the store's menu with no products showing in it. It seemed like a good idea at the time (the first time I did it, I wasn't aware I could make the products inactive in EP, so I wanted them separated so I could tell which ones needed editing).