• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

a few questions before I go with os-commerce

phil_b2008

hi guys, as you can tell I'm a noob here :). I have some questions regarding the potential functionality of OS-commerce, to see if it can fulfill my requirements, and would be super appreciative of any help/advice.

I will be setting up an audio files website. Customers will visit and purchase these files via a variety of ways. My questions are as follows:

1) Firstly, is digital delivery of audio/pdf etc files/products straight forward with os-commerce?

2) As well as being able to buy files in the usually one-off way, customers will (hopefully) be able to purchase credits. I.E $20 will buy you 25 credits. 1 audio file may cost $1, but will also cost 1 credit. So you can see how buying credit packs will encourage sales. Its a common and simple system.

so... will I be able to easily implement this? I understand you can get a reward points add-on, and I will create a product (which will cost of $20) which will result in a deposit of 25 credits in the customers acount (straightforward?). Can I set how many reward points each individual product will yeild, rather than 1 credit per $1 spent? This is critical.

3) is it possible to create a subscription system to take $X from a customers credit card per month, in return for unlimited access to all audio files in the catalogue?

4) Would it be simple enough to create a preview system for audio files? I would expect the easiest way would be to allow the admin to upload a second 'preview' file along with the main product. they would create this seperate file, rather than have the system somehow chop down the main audio file to create a preview on-the-fly. Adjustments to the database, coding, and the addition of a 'preview' button in the product details page would be needed I guess...

5) does anyone know of any examples sites (using os-commerce) that do exactly what i need in question 4?

6) I will need a pay-per-album purchase option too. I guess 10 audio files could be put in a zip, and that could be uploaded as its own product, but would it be possible to take payment for a product, and allow a customer access to a specified select group of digital files/products?

thats about it. I'm sure you will be thinking 'anything can be done if you pay a coder enough $$', but i suppose I am asking if there are existing plug-ins or scripts I could implement myself to rapidly acheive my objectives.

sorry for asking you to spoon feed me info here, but a client needs answers pronto and i have no time to research in any depth.

thanks!!!

P.S I am pretty profficient with modifying php code, adapting scripts and working with MYSQL DB's, but arent a fluent coder.

1) possible to sell any digital content

2) with right contribution possible to setup

3) never seen any contribution, you will need develop your own

4) possible to setup with right contribution

5) search on this forum as I have seen few examples

but a client needs answers pronto and i have no time to research in any depth

I think the client pay you money for project. Why someone else should do the research for you?

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

1) possible to sell any digital content

2) with right contribution possible to setup

3) never seen any contribution, you will need develop your own

4) possible to setup with right contribution

5) search on this forum as I have seen few examples

I think the client pay you money for project. Why someone else should do the research for you?

thanks for your reply. I havnt secured the job yet and arent being paid any money unfortunately. I have done some research but still cant see if there is a readily available method for setting how many reward points each individual product returns. I guess I can download it since it is free and have a go.

Archived