• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

No customers?!

balloons

I have been setting up my oscommerce site for a few months but officially added it to search engines on 1st january 08.

Since that time no one has joined my site or made any purchases and am wondering where do I go next for my site?

I will be selling on a small scale on ebay when I have my business cards printed but I am waiting for the post office to send me details about my po box, but they are behind and I will not have the box until 25th january 08. When I go back onto ebay, for every sale I will include a business card so hopefully that will bring customers to my site, but other than that I am not sure what to do?

I watch the visitor stats via my web host using awstats, and according to that I have had 97 unique visitors this month with the highest number being 9 in a day and the lowest 2 per day.

Has anyone got any ideas how to make my site more productive?

The following needs to be done.

1)Bring more traffic.

2)See that Your site is able to convert that traffic.

1)To bring more traffic:

--Add SEO ultimate contrib or SEO-G

--Add Meta tag or header controller.

--Google xml site map.

--some directory sub.

--Reciprocal link building.

To convert traffic to sale:

1)SSL

2)Some security seal.

3)Good cost for value.

4)Unique product.

5)Better search system.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Thanks for the feedback satish, would love to say I know exactly what you mean but, alas, I onyl have a rough idea!!

As for ssl, where is the best place to get it on a tight budget and is it easy to install and how do I make sure it is compatible with my website host? If I get ssl doesnt that put a security seal or how do I get one?

As for the search, I have stuck to the basic oscommerce one as I am not sure how to make a better search.

I have been looking into how to make a google xml map but just need to do a bit more work before I got it working.

Can you tell me what meta tag or header control is? I have added meta tags into the template using dreamweaver making sure to include all my keywords, is that what you mean?

I have been looking at SEO-G I just need to understand what it does exactly?!

Sorry for being a novice, but we all have to start somewhere and it is hard when I dont get much time as I am working 7 nights a week at the moment to increase my money to put into the business, and it doesnt help when my car breaks down and costs over £700 to fix! Nightmare!

If anyone can help then thanks a bunch as I really do appreciate the help everyone on this forum has given me.

if you host lets you install your own then get rapidsslonline.com its only 15USD i got that installed on mine.

i dont have SEO on my site but google has indexed my site and shows 11 pages of links.

mine shop is not LIVE yet as i dont have stock yet, so waiting for that.

The main and most frustrating thing I found at the start was it took time in the first month we were live we had around 15 customers and only took around £200 after reading on here we were ready for the long haul but its taken off in a really nice way we now have over 100 customers ( this is our second month ) and take around £300-£400 a day advertising is a big one get on some forums that are relevant to your shop and see about advertising we offer paid banner and prize based advertising for there members also google addwords brings in alot of our custom.

Just try not to get downbeat about things and keep trying to improve your site in anyway you think would help :)

As for ssl, where is the best place to get it on a tight budget and is it easy to install and how do I make sure it is compatible with my website host? If I get ssl doesnt that put a security seal or how do I get one?

Geotrust offer a certificate for around £90.

I have been looking into how to make a google xml map but just need to do a bit more work before I got it working.

There are some good contributions which are quick and simple to get you a sitemap

Can you tell me what meta tag or header control is? I have added meta tags into the template using dreamweaver making sure to include all my keywords, is that what you mean?

Header tag controller is a contribution which allows you to add unique meta tags to ALL your pages. If you have added meta tags to your template then they will be the same for every page in your site. What if you sell cars and you have a Ford Mondeo as one of your products, your product page will have meta tag descriptions that say something like "cheap cars" when you want them to say something like "Cheap Ford Mondeo" and "low mileage vauxhall astra". Your meta tags MUST be relevant to your product in order to get good rankings. Definately look at the header tags controller contribution.

The SEO-G contribution is one of several contibutions that give you search engine friendly URLS.

Currently the URL for one of your products looks like this :-

http://twilightballoons.co.uk/osc/product_...products_id=205

When with one of the SEO contributions it would look more like this :-

http://twilightballoons.co.uk/osc/balloons...-balloon-1.html

which is far more likely to get a better rank in the search engines due to the fact there are some nice keywords in your URL and not just on the page.

We rank very highly for quite a few products for this reason and my advice would be to definately install one of these contributions.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown gforster.

I am looking at getting ssl with my web host as I think that is the easiest option as I know it will work, its about £62 per year and gives a warranty on all transactions.

The seo-g seems very good and I will have a look at that later as well as header tag controller.

I am not too sure about paid advertising as I have never used it before and as I am on a tight budget I dont want to blow all my money on advertising and end up with hardly any sales. As for google addwords I shall have to take a look, but as I said I am worried about getting a high bill for advertising and low sales.

I guess its all a learning curve and I just hope with some more work that my site will pay for itself soon, it is just difficult when after all my work making the site I have no people joining and no sales, but with a little more work and all the help from this forum hopefully it will all change soon.

Fingers crossed!!

Hi,

i can recommend rapidssl too, mine cost around £20ish with a unique ip address for a year. I had the same troubles as you my friend. it took 1 year before i converted my sale. generally do what the 1st reply said above to generate more traffic. Don't worry it probably wont take you as long to start getting the sales in, if you only started this month, your already doing well by discussing this within the OSC community, (some of the people on this forum are so helpfull & there is plenty of coding guru's) other than the traffic thing to help convert sales the main thing that help us to convert more sales was to get the SSL on the site, it is a MUST. & most importantly if you are selling popular items YOU have to be competitively priced, other it's v.tough to get business.

Good luck

Regards,

Indi

Thanks for the feedback satish, would love to say I know exactly what you mean but, alas, I onyl have a rough idea!!

As for the search, I have stuck to the basic oscommerce one as I am not sure how to make a better search.

Sorry for being a novice, but we all have to start somewhere and it is hard when I dont get much time as I am working 7 nights a week at the moment to increase my money to put into the business, and it doesnt help when my car breaks down and costs over £700 to fix! Nightmare!

If anyone can help then thanks a bunch as I really do appreciate the help everyone on this forum has given me.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown gforster.

I am looking at getting ssl with my web host as I think that is the easiest option as I know it will work, its about £62 per year and gives a warranty on all transactions.

The seo-g seems very good and I will have a look at that later as well as header tag controller.

The seo_geo also has a XML sitemap generater modded into it. Its pretty nice as once all your urls are processed to look like: http://twilightballoons.co.uk/osc/balloons...-balloon-1.html

You can then generate your sitemap. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but really worth the time to learn its use.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

Thanks for the help and advice.

I have purchased SSL and am waiting on my provider to set it up as etc. I went with the same host that I have my website with as I thought that would be the easiest option being new to SSL.

I have been looking at SEO-G as I think that will help alot, but it does look a bit complicated but I am going to give it a go and hope for the best!

All the retailers that sell the same items as myself are priced higher on about 90% of items and the other 10% I am about the same price, it just gets a bit disheartening when you have put all the effort into building the site and no one registers or buys!!

I have also sent off for a PO Box from the post office but have been waiting for over a month now as they said they are behind when I called them up to chase it, seems to me that the post office service is going downhill but I have no idea what other service I can use!

I am getting a few hits a day now but most are from the USA and not the UK as for the time being I am only selling to the UK, but I am always hopeful that things will pick up.

Thanks very much for the help and comments as I have to say that the people on this forum have been outstanding as you guys have helped fix problems I have had qucikly.

I have now got SSL but I cannot tell the difference between now i have it and when I did not have it, what should I be looking for so I know it is secure?

I just want to know what my customers will see to know that my site is safe apart from the logo that is below my side menu?

Also, I have a test account set up so I can see how things work but do not have a log out button, can anyone tell me where I get the coding to insert a log out button?

I have had a go at inserting SEO-G but have given up for now as I am finding it a struggle! I inserted the code but got stuck when it said there is a good tutorial on how to use myphpadmin but the link didnt seem to link to a tutorial. Forgive me for being thick, but it is pretty hard when you are new to doing this type of coding but I am trying my best!

I have also submitted a xml site map to google so I think I am heading in the right direction now slowly, I just need customers now!!

Good luck, I'm thinking of getting a PO Box as i dont want to show my home address to fruadstars.

I emailed royal mail about what kinda of mail they will store, i.e packets upto shoe box size. I have a RM depo near me.

p.s

just saw ur site, i'd tone down on the light blue. Also get rid of Date Of Birth from sign up, u dont need it. Its in admin config section.

Also there is a thread on changing some basic US layout to UK like address line 2, county (also a contribution)

I think you should of kept the basic look, Blue buttons on blue background? change it.

just my opinion.

Good luck, I'm thinking of getting a PO Box as i dont want to show my home address to fruadstars.

My understanding is that it is a legal requirement to show your address and a valid phone number prominently on your site, it's part of the distance selling regulations.

I have finally had a letter from the post office saying that my PO box has been given the green light for 4.2.08.

So, I think I nearly have everything in place now as of the suggestions from the people on this forum.

1.I have now got SSL set up on my site with the seal on the bottom of the left hand navigation

2. PO box will be added in the next few days.

3. Contact number will be added in the next few day.

Now all I need are lots of paying customers and the cost and time will have been worth it!!

If anyone wants to look at my site it is: My Website

Thanks for all the help guys.

I have finally had a letter from the post office saying that my PO box has been given the green light for 4.2.08.

So, I think I nearly have everything in place now as of the suggestions from the people on this forum.

1.I have now got SSL set up on my site with the seal on the bottom of the left hand navigation

2. PO box will be added in the next few days.

3. Contact number will be added in the next few day.

Now all I need are lots of paying customers and the cost and time will have been worth it!!

If anyone wants to look at my site it is: My Website

Thanks for all the help guys.

you have a error on main page and SSL is not configured

I have been in touch with my provider of my SSL and they have said that my SSL is already configured.

The message that they have sent back is: 'To view your secure site you need to enter https://www.twilightballoons.co.uk (https) So you will need to set up a folder called something like secure and then place all your secure pages (only the secure ones and not the rest of the site) within it. You will then need to link to these pages through the entire URL:'

Now I have to say that I am pretty confused as to how this is all done! I would like to know what files I need to place into the folder to make my site secure without knackering up the whole of my site?

Can anyone give me any help?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been in touch with my provider of my SSL and they have said that my SSL is already configured.

The message that they have sent back is: 'To view your secure site you need to enter https://www.twilightballoons.co.uk (https) So you will need to set up a folder called something like secure and then place all your secure pages (only the secure ones and not the rest of the site) within it. You will then need to link to these pages through the entire URL:'

Now I have to say that I am pretty confused as to how this is all done! I would like to know what files I need to place into the folder to make my site secure without knackering up the whole of my site?

Can anyone give me any help?

Thanks.

Who are your hosts?

My SSL was added by my hosts but I had not ticked something in configuration set up for SSL to work with shopping basket. I cannot tell you exactly what as they did it for me when i notified them it didn't seem to be working. I didn't have to set up any folders or move any files.

Liz

A very appreciative member still attempting to climb the steep learning curve!

Your SSL seems to be working fine now.

I have some comments on your site though:

1. Design is quite poor. You dont really have to use larger than standard font size. Background bright blue colour isnt eye friendly. Overall it gives visitor a feeling that your webstore is faded in colour...aged and old...

2. You should make your header clickable to go back to the main page.

3. Put your company registration number, name, address and tel in the footer.

4. Why POBOX? I don't trust a POBox address. Even a house address is better than a POBox address.

On promotion your webstore, if you do not want to pay for advertising, I would suggest you participate in some online forums. You can put links in signature if the forum allows it.

I got sales on my store before I even officially announced it, because I am the administrator of an online forum in my country and people know me and confident in shopping with me for items that are expensive (DSLR, cameras, lenses...etc.).

Best regards,

Koh Kho King

Thanks for the feedback khoking even if it is a bit harsh!

1. This is my first real go at desiging a shop so I kept it nice and simple and it seems that some people dont like it but quite a few do like it so for now the basic design will stay the same unless I am getting alot of negative reactions to the overall look of the site.

2. I cannot for the life of me remember how to make the header image clickable so if anyone could enlighten me as I do think this is a good idea but just cant figure out how to do it.

3. I dont have a company registration number, but all the other relevant details have not been incorporated into the footer.

4. Why a PO box? Well, I asked people's advice on here in that I did not want to display my home address on the internet and on my business cards as I dont want every tom, dick and harry appearing at my house asking for stock. It was suggested that I get a PO box as it was better than nothing even if some people dont like them, so I got a PO box which in my opinion is a good idea even if it puts a small number of people off from buying it is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

5. Promotion is always at the forefront of every business and it is pretty hard to get noticed amongst all the other websites selling the same things, so for now as I am on a very tight budget I will be selling on ebay (or is that greedbay?) again so that I can target paying customers and direct them to my site. There are 1000's of other things to do but with a tight budget and working full time it is hard to fit everything in.

The people on this forum have been really great in helping me get to grips with oscommerce and I dont think I would be anywhere near where I am now if it had not been for help and advice, so thanks a bunch guys!

Archived