• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Suggestion to A L L B O A R D U S E R S

I'm noticing a trend here that parallels the trend on the message board for the database I do development in. Specifically, people post a call for help/guidance/feedback or whatever. Another user takes their time and effort to respond to the original post and there is never a reply from the message originator - not a 'Thank you, that worked perfectly', 'Thank you, but that didn't solve my problem' or any other feedback.

Folks, please keep in mind that the people that take their time to respond to your question, volunteer their time and effort. They don't get paid, but rather do what they do out of the kindness of their heart.

A simple thank you goes a long way to keep these knowledgeable users happy.

Also please keep in mind that not all users are at the same knowledgeable you are, so make your response simple to understand.

Dave

Also instead of posting "forget that, I sorted it" how about posting something like -

"I sorted it. What I did was ...."

SolarFrenzy

Solar powered gadgets at down to earth prices.

CheekyNaughty

Promoting British Design

Lee,

Good point. Indicate what you did to fix the problem.

Dave

Also instead of posting "forget that, I sorted it" how about posting something like -

"I sorted it. What I did was ...."

Also please keep in mind that not all users are at the same knowledgeable you are, so make your response simple to understand.

Can you explain that in more detail? I know nothing about PHP, HTML, CSS, FTP, SSH, SQL, and MySQL :lol:

Jan,

Sure. If I respond to a question you post in which you state

I know nothing about PHP, HTML, CSS, FTP, SSH, SQL, and MySQL :lol:
going into great detail with PHP or MySQL code serves no purpose other than to confuse you. My answer should attempt to answer your question at a level you can understand.

The fact that I've been doing this or that for 'X' number of years doesn't give me license to try to impress you with what (I think) I know. In one of my past lives, I taught computer science at the college level and I always tried to help my students learn and understand, rather than just giving them the answer to their question. Just giving them the answer doesn't help a bit; helping them to think and reason expands their knowledge and understanding.

The key to all of this is not to talk down to someone nor to talk above their head. Easier said than done.

Dave

Please note I am going to duck after posting this.

The questions posed have almost always been answered and google and time would find the answer or a question is asked when searching the contributions or reading the contribution description, documentation or installation documentation answers the question.

People do post at a level that is often beyond those asking the question. But this is not a php, mysql, phpmyadmin support site and as such a basic level of knowledge must be assumed. My position is, I am not here to show someone step by step how to do something but direct them to answers that will enable "them" to do it.

They may need to research how to do it though.

If they want someone to do it for them, employ someone. But it is nice when you find someone willing to read a few links and learn.

Jan, if you know so little, you need to learn, go to w3.schools.com.... :-) ... (now I really need to duck, I know your skill levels are way above mine)

Got that off my chest, now back to the original thread.

Closing a thread with what solved it and an expressions of thanks is good.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

I agree. I was just venting my frustration about the number of people who ask a question, get an answer and then reply in the line I just mentioned expressing their total lack of knowledge on anything to do with the code and HTML. You can't mess with the code if you don't have at least some understanding of PHP and HTML. Totally frustrating for the person who asks the question and totally frustrating for the ones answering here.

Probably the price we have to pay for the popularity of osC despite all...

You can't mess with the code if you don't have at least some understanding of PHP and HTML.

I often feel that I am, but then a good backup often makes up for lack of knowledge.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

Geoffrey,

Please note I am going to duck after posting this.

The questions posed have almost always been answered and google and time would find the answer or a question is asked when searching the contributions or reading the contribution description, documentation or installation documentation answers the question.

People do post at a level that is often beyond those asking the question. But this is not a php, mysql, phpmyadmin support site and as such a basic level of knowledge must be assumed. My position is, I am not here to show someone step by step how to do something but direct them to answers that will enable "them" to do it.

They may need to research how to do it though.

If they want someone to do it for them, employ someone. But it is nice when you find someone willing to read a few links and learn.

Jan, if you know so little, you need to learn, go to w3.schools.com.... :-) ... (now I really need to duck, I know your skill levels are way above mine)

Your points are valid and absolutely correct. The problem is that most people won't RTFM - (I won't provide translation, but you probably figure this out.) I've found that it is a hard balancing act between helping an enabling someone. One of the biggest problems I had with students (and I'm talking about college level students) is that they would not ready the assignment, and then they tried to get me to explain the assignment to them. Sorry, life doesn't work that way.

I'll do whatever I can to help someone learn and get going, but if (and when) it gets to the point of them asking me to do it for them, that's where my 'helper' hat comes off and my 'I develop for a living' hat goes on. You know the old story about ' give a man fish and he eats for a day, teach him how to fish and he eats for a lifetime.'

Dave

Jan,

Sure. If I respond to a question you post in which you state going into great detail with PHP or MySQL code serves no purpose other than to confuse you. My answer should attempt to answer your question at a level you can understand.

The fact that I've been doing this or that for 'X' number of years doesn't give me license to try to impress you with what (I think) I know. In one of my past lives, I taught computer science at the college level and I always tried to help my students learn and understand, rather than just giving them the answer to their question. Just giving them the answer doesn't help a bit; helping them to think and reason expands their knowledge and understanding.

The key to all of this is not to talk down to someone nor to talk above their head. Easier said than done.

Dave

Talk to me like I'm a 5 year old. (that should be the motto)!

There really, really needs to be stick post regarding searching the site and previous answers. I am generally not in favor of stickies taking up space, but something needs to be done to direct people to help themselves. Look through the first three or four pages of posts and count how many "I can't get into admin / how do I set security for admin" posts. It is beyond ridiculous. Especially since that topic is some f-ing easy to search for. Same goes for taxes and "moving to a new host - what do I need to do?". Real, unique questions/problems quickly disappear from first page because of these lazy inquiries.

The one sticky could direct to the help topic for more specific issues, and be short enough for a new person to quickly review.

There was me thinking the knowledgebase was it.

http://www.oscommerce.info/

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

There was me thinking the knowledgebase was it.

You don't see the people here that read that first. Most of the multi-posters are of the kind that do not read those things, unfortunately.

Someone made a thread about half a year ago with a long list of questions that are asked over and over again. Couldn't find it back in the noise when searching for it a few months later <_<

I agree but it is hidden 3 clicks away.

The lazy posters wont find it unless it is in their face and even those that want to search have to be persistent to get there. I know I didn't see it until I had been hunting round cos I knew it had to be there somewhere.

Solution: stick a link on the community support page and

top right when you log in

Knowledgebase My Controls · View New Posts · My Assistant · My Friends · 0 New Messages

Finally Whenever "New Topic" is clicked, pop up a question "Have you looked in the Knowledgebase?" (complete with a link.

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

I think all (opensource/GPL) read free software will always suffer the types of person that expects something for nothing. Some people just don't value things that are "FREE".

It's a terrible shame, I'm often horrified when I see the posts on these forums SHOUTING "This software/forum is crap, no one answers my questions" or whatever

I really wonder how many people here realise just what it would cost to have professionally developed a shopping system that works as well as this with it's options for language, payment, shipping etc etc. I'm absolutely certain that it would be tens of thousands of pounds (sterling).

Be very grateful for oscommerce, I am .. be very grateful for all and any help you get in these forums (contribs included).

And did I say be grateful?

<looks around and sees no one is listening .. looks at empty wine glass>

I do database development and design with a database called Alpha Five from Alpha Software. It is not, by far, a free product and the Alpha messageboard experiences the same problems you talk about here.

I think all (opensource/GPL) read free software will always suffer the types of person that expects something for nothing. Some people just don't value things that are "FREE".

It's a terrible shame, I'm often horrified when I see the posts on these forums SHOUTING "This software/forum is crap, no one answers my questions" or whatever

I really wonder how many people here realise just what it would cost to have professionally developed a shopping system that works as well as this with it's options for language, payment, shipping etc etc. I'm absolutely certain that it would be tens of thousands of pounds (sterling).

Be very grateful for oscommerce, I am .. be very grateful for all and any help you get in these forums (contribs included).

And did I say be grateful?

<looks around and sees no one is listening .. looks at empty wine glass>

Over the years, I've come to realize that the world has been overtaken and is crawling with people that will not read the manual, search the FAQs, read previous posts or try something first. Their initial post on (any) messageboard is that the software is buggy, does not work right, and isn't what they want. They are trying to compare an exceptional Windows-based database product with something they started with back in the DOS world (remember that?) or something that r an under Windows 3.0 .

I'm not saying at all that all messageboard users won't expend some effort before yelling for 'help', but there are certainly a lot of them.

Dave

And then you have those lazy ones who askes questions in a support tread where the solution have been posted earlier in the same tread... :blink:

On top of those you have the super lazy ones who asks a questions where the solution is on the same page just a few post up >_<

Jan pointed me at this link, http://www.slash7.com/pages/vampires, which I enjoyed reading.

Then you get Ben Chandler http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...=289961&hl= who makes it all worthwhile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

Archived