• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] oscThumb

Good morning fan4chevy,

From my understanding, it will only resize and cache the images when you, or another visitor, attempts to access them for the first time.

I would be extremely worried if my visitors were forced to wait for the 10~ seconds it takes to initially cache them. However, as I will always check through my products and categories as soon as I have uploaded them, I hope that problem will not exist.

It is just very frustrating.

I installed this contribution on to one of my websites and it worked flawlessly.

I have since tried to implement it on another, even creating a new installation of OSc, but experience this huge delay.

The two websites are running on different servers, but having checked through the versions of PHP and Apache they are both running there are only very minor differences. All software looks like it has been updated to within a month or so of current releases.

I have noticed one thing; on the website which is running slowly, when I go into the server properties within OSc admin tools, very little information is brought up at the top of the page.

Both websites otherwise run quite quickly which makes me believe it must be a software setting. The variance between the near-instantaneous loading on one site, compared to the 10~ seconds on the other, cannot be hardware related.

My load time for the image was about 15 seconds.I have even reducing image sizes, quality, etc. to no provail.If I turn off OscThumbs than it is all so fast, which tells me it is for sure OscThumb.

There must be some way to also get it to auto thumbnail when you upload the image to the cart or as a bulk force thumb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to have installed this contribution ok but I have seen in many forums that folders should never be set to 777 so why does this contribution use these settings?

Also I have changed where my cache directory is because I also have site monitor installed and the final instruction is to create a .htaccess file with the following inserted:

<Files *.php>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</Files>

Now does this .htaccess file go inside the cache folder or in the phpThumb folder one level up?

Thanks, Michael

I seem to have installed this contribution ok but I have seen in many forums that folders should never be set to 777 so why does this contribution use these settings?

Also I have changed where my cache directory is because I also have site monitor installed and the final instruction is to create a .htaccess file with the following inserted:

<Files *.php>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</Files>

Now does this .htaccess file go inside the cache folder or in the phpThumb folder one level up?

Thanks, Michael

Some hosting companies use 755 like the one I use. Go with 755

Hi,

Oscthumbs is going in the right direction but it has in my opinion the following glitches that make it impossible to have in my shop:

-> It changes product_info.php pages misconfiguring everything

-> Images are shown with different sizes in product_listing.php and considerably lower quality

-> It takes minutes to download product_listing for the first time.

I would like to know if there are solutions for these issues already.

In order to avoid hijacking of this thread i created a related thread Resumed Guide on how to protect shops content and images.

Anyone has been able to install oscthumbs and making it work ?! if so share, because some people here already uninstalled it like me because it simply stalls your website.

Thanks inadvance

I installed oscThumb ... followed the directions and was pretty sure that I was good to go. However, I still seem to be able to control the image sizes from Admin >> Configuration >> Images as opposed to the Admin >> Configuration >> oscThumb menu.

I also know its not working because the images still look pixelated.

I've checked the permissions and double checked that I uploaded all the files. Anyone have any ideas on what to check?

Thanks for the help.

Erik

• 3 weeks later...

I have found OscThumb to just be too slow. I have tried everything and it just lags images. You have to click on the image and then supposedly the second time you go to it it will be faster. However, after a few days it is slow again. I also found that it needs an automated forced thumbnailer so you do not have to click on the image manually to get it to store and be faster. Needs something where you can set it to autothumb at lets say 12 midnight or something all images.

I wish it would work for me but I had to disable it. Please let me know if anyone has a different experience and/or what they did to make it work well for them.

There not errors, they're notices, its due to the old version of php on your server.

in includes/applicaion_top.php

replace@

error_reporting(E_ALL);

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED);

Notice: Undefined variable: bevel in /home/miratopr/public_html/includes/classes/oscthumb.php on line 238

Notice: Undefined variable: frame in /home/miratopr/public_html/includes/classes/oscthumb.php on line 241

Notice: Undefined variable: bevel in /home/miratopr/public_html/includes/classes/oscthumb.php on line 238

Notice: Undefined variable: frame in /home/miratopr/public_html/includes/classes/oscthumb.php on line 241

5.2.13 (Zend: 2.2.0) Php is up to date and changing to error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED); is not going to fix it, have any more answers

Bo

I'm also finding OSCThumb way too slow. Has anyone managed to determine what the problem is?

Glad to hear that I am not the only person. I do know that it is common for an image to be slow on the first time it is viewed. However, I am finding it to be more than that.

Also I think it is lacking the ability to do a batch of thumbs so that you don't have to wait till after it is clicked on after the first time. I think something where you can have it auto batch the thumbs at like 12am every night or something.

I really like the options the script has like watermarking and hope it can be figured out.

Glad to hear that I am not the only person. I do know that it is common for an image to be slow on the first time it is viewed. However, I am finding it to be more than that.

Also I think it is lacking the ability to do a batch of thumbs so that you don't have to wait till after it is clicked on after the first time. I think something where you can have it auto batch the thumbs at like 12am every night or something.

I really like the options the script has like watermarking and hope it can be figured out.

• 1 month later...

hello,

just installed osc thumb, my thumbnails were framed when i turned on the frame option. but a lot of my photos are coming up the

same size and it seems to be slowing loading the images. also, some of my images are not being referenced now and a purple box with

the directory folder they are suppose dto be in shows up. i will have to turn off the fetur until this is correctd.

thanks,

craig

Hi all,

I've been learning osCommerce from the ground up, but had great success with the help of the community. So, thank you!

My latest issue seems to be to do with oscThumb - in that product images are thumbnailing fine, everything is wokring brilliantly on the user side of things, but when I go to admin and upload images (or go back to look at a product I've previously uploaded) the image points to eg: http://www.mysite.com.au/catalog/admin/images/IMG_4698.JPG

Clearly this isn't correct, as oscThumb has taken the image in question to the cache.

What am I doing wrong? I've trawled through the forums but I can't find anything close to my little problem.

I'm etting the following error showing up on on error reporting, has anyone come across this and know how to fix?

Error Type: [E_NOTICE] Undefined variable: config_values

On line 26

File includes/classes/oscthumb.php

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

i am just installed oscThumb last night but i have a little problem.

The picture of my products are not shown because of a wrong path to my image folder

the right path should be '/home/httpd/httpdocs/catalog/images/file.jpg' but on my product page the path is '/home/httpd/httpdocs/images/file.jpg' so i getting a '<file> does not exists' at the moment because of the missing 'catalog' folder

i also installed spooks 'Simple Multi Image Add-on (Un-Limited) with FancyBox Popups' and if i turn 'off' oscThumb the paths are the right one....

can anyone tell me where to find my mistake?

For the "too slow" guys : find this line in the config file and change it according to your needs :

$PHPTHUMB_CONFIG['cache_maxfiles'] = 200;

It looks obvious to me that on a page with 201 pictures, it will every visit recache.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this great contribution.

Whenever I click edit [admin/oscThumb/watermark image file] I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function tep_cfg_pull_down_installed_watermarks() in /home/aaaaaaa/public_html/admin/configuration.php(125) : eval()'d code on line 1

Why ? - please help.

Edited by AndreD

ok I rechecked everything - the above problem was wrong genaral.php file.

Everything works, but I get these errors in "whats_new.php" "reviews.php" boxes:

Notice: Undefined variable: text_watermark in /home/helihob/public_html/includes/classes/oscthumb.php on line 230
Notice: Undefined variable: image_watermark in /home/helihob/public_html/includes/classes/oscthumb.php on line 235
Notice: Undefined variable: bevel in /home/helihob/public_html/includes/classes/oscthumb.php on line 238
Notice: Undefined variable: frame in /home/helihob/public_html/includes/classes/oscthumb.php on line 241
Notice: Undefined variable: params in /home/helihob/public_html/includes/classes/oscthumb.php on line 255

additional info:

reviews.php is only giving error messages when user is in /index.php , it works fine when user is displaying a category/product !

so "index.php?cPath=31" displays reviews & works fine, . strange ?

whats_new.php is does not display errors like I claimed before ("whats_new" is the small box on side, that displays one item) the problem i related to another contribution that displays 6 new/latest products in "index.php" only (only when at "home" or "top" level).

So, where's the problem ?

Edited by AndreD

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the Simple Multiple Images with Fancy Popups (1.3.5) addon and the oscthumb (1.1) contributions. OscThumbs works great except I seem to be having a problem that other users seem to also be having: thumbnails occasionally do not show, instead the alt text shows. Half of the time an image will load, and then the rest of the time an image may not load. If I right click and view an image that did not show (right click on the alt text) and view image, the image will then load in the browser.

What would cause the thumbnails to sometimes load and sometimes not?

Thanks for any assistance.

Had this problem with alt images in my install. Checked back over the instructions and reuploaded the required files, seemed to clear things up for me. It would appear that I'd missed one of the files in my initial upload, sorry but I don't know which one.

All working with Multiple Images with Fancy pop-up boxes. Many thanks.

Hey all little prob with my oscThumbs!!!

setting up a few sites with a few changes. now i have set one site up perfect with thumbs and when i have uploaded the entire site to a different URL & server i have issues with the thumbs showing images. the new site is running with netregistry on a Zeus Server i have emailed them about the GD library (as it looks like OSCThumbs uses this) but they are unsure to what it is as am I.

working site: catfood.com.au/index.php

NOT working site: sydneydogfood.com.au/index.php (odcThumbs turned off. also have issue with seo URL's on this server)

below is some server settings:

Server Host: ws-shared-2 (127.0.0.1)

Server OS: Linux 2.6.26-24lenny1-cfs-stats

Database: MySQL 5.0.51a-24+lenny4

Server Date: 19/10/2010 11:49:30

Datebase Date: 19/10/2010 11:49:30

Server Up Time: 11:49:30 up 5 days, 3:47, 0 users, load average: 4.10, 4.53, 4.90

HTTP Server: Zeus/4.3

PHP Version: 5.2.13 (Zend: 2.2.0)

any help with this would be much appreciated.

PS: the netregistry tech support advised i can have the server changed to Apache server if requested. although i have no idea if this would work.

Thanks.

I have a problem with the contribuccion, I've tried several and they all have different judgments, I indexed some moving gif and convert them into gifs without movement and other directori not recognize the other pictures and I put a "No Image".

This contribution works well as administration to select the parameters you want, but the pictures makes me not proportional, the young Now I've had to desonectar, but if I connect, the image of a camera, is cut in width or simply not shown.

"Someone knows what is due?

www.jollscomputer.com/tienda/catalog/

I've just installed oscThumb. When I go to turn it on I get this error message:

Fatal error: Class 'tableBox' not found in W:\www\mystore\includes\classes\message_stack.php on line 20

When I hit my refresh button it goes back to my admin page and shows that it is turned on. I've tried to change several parameters and sometimes it goes back to that error message and sometimes it doesn't. I don't think this add-on is working at all even though it shows it is on because I don't see any changes to any of my pictures.

I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have because I have no idea what to do here.

Thank you in advance. Here is the file for message_stack.php:

<?php

/*

$Id: message_stack.php 1740 2007-12-20 14:57:13Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

Example usage:

$messageStack = new messageStack();

$messageStack->add('general', 'Error: Error 1', 'error');

$messageStack->add('general', 'Error: Error 2', 'warning');

if ($messageStack->size('general') > 0) echo $messageStack->output('general');

*/

class messageStack extends tableBox {

// class constructor

function messageStack() {

global $messageToStack;

$this->messages = array();

if (tep_session_is_registered('messageToStack')) {

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($messageToStack); $i<$n; $i++) {

$this->add($messageToStack[$i]['class'], $messageToStack[$i]['text'], $messageToStack[$i]['type']);

}

tep_session_unregister('messageToStack');

}

}

// class methods

function add($class, $message, $type = 'error') {

if ($type == 'error') {

$this->messages[] = array('params' => 'class="messageStackError"', 'class' => $class, 'text' => tep_image(DIR_WS_ICONS . 'error.gif', ICON_ERROR) . ' ' . $message);

} elseif ($type == 'warning') {

$this->messages[] = array('params' => 'class="messageStackWarning"', 'class' => $class, 'text' => tep_image(DIR_WS_ICONS . 'warning.gif', ICON_WARNING) . ' ' . $message);

} elseif ($type == 'success') {

$this->messages[] = array('params' => 'class="messageStackSuccess"', 'class' => $class, 'text' => tep_image(DIR_WS_ICONS . 'success.gif', ICON_SUCCESS) . ' ' . $message);

} else {

$this->messages[] = array('params' => 'class="messageStackError"', 'class' => $class, 'text' => $message);

}

}

function add_session($class, $message, $type = 'error') {

global $messageToStack;

if (!tep_session_is_registered('messageToStack')) {

tep_session_register('messageToStack');

$messageToStack = array();

}

$messageToStack[] = array('class' => $class, 'text' => $message, 'type' => $type);

}

function reset() {

$this->messages = array();

}

function output($class) {

$this->table_data_parameters = 'class="messageBox"';

$output = array();

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($this->messages); $i<$n; $i++) {

if ($this->messages[$i]['class'] == $class) {

$output[] = $this->messages[$i];

}

}