• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Request Product Reviews

kymation

Jim,

i have really no idea but this makes also no difference, manually no problem, so i think that it stays manually.

when you have more idea's, i'll try them for you ofcourse.

i'll go to bed, take a nap, the alarmclock rings at 5am.

tomorrow a new day ;)

Thanks again,

Jan

Dreams can come true, if you help them a littlebit

Jim,

i have really no idea but this makes also no difference, manually no problem, so i think that it stays manually.

when you have more idea's, i'll try them for you ofcourse.

i'll go to bed, take a nap, the alarmclock rings at 5am.

tomorrow a new day ;)

Thanks again,

Jan

That should have generated copies of the template in the email to the Admin. If the email didn't show that, you have some restriction on reading the template file tht only applies to automated operation. The only way around this would be to imbed or include the template in the code file. This would be crude, but it should work. Let us know if you want to play with this some more.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I'm seeing two separate issues here:

The Downloads Controller is causing problems with this contribution. I'm not familiar with the Downloads Controller, but the code posted here doesn't appear to be anything that would cause a problem. I can think of two possible solutions, and I would like for those of you seeing this problem to try them out.

1. Cut the following code from catalog/includes/functions/general.php

// BOF: WebMakers.com Added: Downloads Controller
require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'downloads_controller.php');
// EOF: WebMakers.com Added: Downloads Controller

Then find the following code in catalog/includes/application_top.php

// define general functions used application-wide
 require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'general.php');

and paste the code you removed from general.php just below that code. Run review_mail.php manually and see if it now works.

MANY MANY THANKS, the first solution works very good on my site.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope to helps you next time.

Xavier

MANY MANY THANKS, the first solution works very good on my site.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope to helps you next time.

Xavier

Good, that takes care of the Download Controller problem. Now to figure out that pesky blank email....

Regards

Jim

Thats the strange thing, there are no errors.

when it's a cronjob i get one email with txt:

The review reminder script finished execution on

20 Feb 2008 16:11:01

1 email messages were sent.

thats OK, but there is no txt in the customers email.

no error log file's, everything is fine except the missing txt.

But when i paste the url manually in my browser, than is there the txt in the customers email :o

How did you setup your email option in the admin ?

goodmorning,

ofcourse i want to test more if you like.

is it possible that i not works because it is test on a subdomain? without "www."

Edited by jan64

goodmorning,

ofcourse i want to test more if you like.

is it possible that i not works because it is test on a subdomain? without "www."

Question, why is there "local" in this path? must this be 'includes/configure.php'?

// Set the local configuration parameters - mainly for developers

if (file_exists ($path_rel . 'includes/local/configure.php')) include ($path_rel . 'includes/local/configure.php');

Question, why is there "local" in this path? must this be 'includes/configure.php'?

// Set the local configuration parameters - mainly for developers

if (file_exists ($path_rel . 'includes/local/configure.php')) include ($path_rel . 'includes/local/configure.php');

See the next three lines:

// Include server parameters
 require ($path_rel . 'includes/configure.php');

The "local" path is there for those who keep local config files for testing etc. The default file (catalog/includes/configure.php) will be used if no local file is present.

The blank email problem appears to be a failure to read the template file. This should generate an error, but no errors have been reported. I suspect that this is due to a security restriction somewhere. I haven't found any good way to get around this yet.

Regards

Jim

I was thinking of adding this module but part of the instructions are

You need to set up a CRON job

There are no instructions how to do this and I do not understand this can you please explain what this means and the exact process of doing this.

Liz

A very appreciative member still attempting to climb the steep learning curve!

I was thinking of adding this module but part of the instructions are

There are no instructions how to do this and I do not understand this can you please explain what this means and the exact process of doing this.

There are no instructions for CRON because this is a function of your operating system/web server. The usage varies wildly depending on what you are using. If you are using a hosting service, ask them for instructions for using CRON on their service. If you are hosting this yourself, you will need to read the instructions for your system.

Regards

Jim

There are no instructions for CRON because this is a function of your operating system/web server. The usage varies wildly depending on what you are using. If you are using a hosting service, ask them for instructions for using CRON on their service. If you are hosting this yourself, you will need to read the instructions for your system.

Regards

Jim

I have found CRON Jobs in my control panel but it asks for two things neither of which do I know the answer to

1. Command to run: What do I put here

2.Mins, Hours, Days, Weeks, Months, Weekdays. What goes in mins? I assume hours is the time of day you want the emails sent and I assume the other answers would be every day, every month, every weekday.

Can somebody fill in the blanks and tell me if my assumptions are correct?

The above settings were in Standard there is also Advanced(Unix Style) which has questions do I use standard or Advanced?

Edited by Measha06

Liz

I have found CRON Jobs in my control panel but it asks for two things neither of which do I know the answer to

1. Command to run: What do I put here

2.Mins, Hours, Days, Weeks, Months, Weekdays. What goes in mins? I assume hours is the time of day you want the emails sent and I assume the other answers would be every day, every month, every weekday.

Can somebody fill in the blanks and tell me if my assumptions are correct?

The above settings were in Standard there is also Advanced(Unix Style) which has questions do I use standard or Advanced?

Command to run: The full path to your review_mail.php.

Again, ask your hosting service for help using their control panel. I can't give you instructions for a control panel that I've never seen, let alone used.

Regards

Jim

Command to run: The full path to your review_mail.php.

Again, ask your hosting service for help using their control panel. I can't give you instructions for a control panel that I've never seen, let alone used.

Regards

Jim

thanks very much that should get me going at least! Can you tell me I have put in the separate prices module can I send these emails just to one group of customers or is that too complicated. I have retail, drop shipping and wholesale customers and ideally I would like to send this request just to retail customers.

Thanks again, being a coding iliterate does have it s draw backs!

Liz

Liz

thanks very much that should get me going at least! Can you tell me I have put in the separate prices module can I send these emails just to one group of customers or is that too complicated. I have retail, drop shipping and wholesale customers and ideally I would like to send this request just to retail customers.

Thanks again, being a coding iliterate does have it s draw backs!

Liz

I have installed the module as instructed and I have run a test order. I have received the email as a customer, on installing the files I was informed that 23 emails had been sent then when I followed the test procedure I was informed one email had been sent. So I presume that all my recent sales will have received an email.

The one area I am not sure of is I want all retail sales to receive an email whether signed up fpr newsletter or not because I use the option that you can buy with or without an account so instead of 1 I set the value to 0 is that correct?

The other thing I find curious is when setting browser to http://www......./catalog/automatic/review_mail.php I got no error messages but neither could I see #1/usr/local/bin/php it was just a blank white screen, yet as a customer I recieved the correct email and as a store owner I received the notification that an email (or 23) had been sent. Should I worry that I could not see the line quoted.

I have set the CRON job, I hope at 8.00am everyday I used the command as http://www.naturesnaturalbeauty.com/catalo...review_mail.php I am hoping this is what you meant and that I was supposed to include the http://.

Am I correct in assuming that if the CRON runs and there are no emails to send as there are no sales 14 ( my chosen number of days to allow deliveries abroad as well as in UK and time to use the products) days prior then I will get a mail sent saying sent 0 mails?

Is there anyway of adding a logo to the email?

Thanks again for a lovely simple module to install and the extra professionalism that it offers.

Kind Regards

Liz

Edited by Measha06

Liz

I have installed the module as instructed and I have run a test order. I have received the email as a customer, on installing the files I was informed that 23 emails had been sent then when I followed the test procedure I was informed one email had been sent. So I presume that all my recent sales will have received an email.

The one area I am not sure of is I want all retail sales to receive an email whether signed up fpr newsletter or not because I use the option that you can buy with or without an account so instead of 1 I set the value to 0 is that correct?

If you are referring to the setting for REVIEW_REMINDER_NEWSLETTER, that is correct.

The other thing I find curious is when setting browser to http://www......./catalog/automatic/review_mail.php I got no error messages but neither could I see #1/usr/local/bin/php it was just a blank white screen, yet as a customer I recieved the correct email and as a store owner I received the notification that an email (or 23) had been sent. Should I worry that I could not see the line quoted.

That seems to be somewhat system dependent. Some servers will send the line when requested from your browser and some will not. If you got the email, everything is working, so you can ignore the part about seeing that line in your browser.

I have set the CRON job, I hope at 8.00am everyday I used the command as http://www.naturesnaturalbeauty.com/catalo...review_mail.php I am hoping this is what you meant and that I was supposed to include the http://.

No, CRON needs the file path from the root, not the URL. You need something like /usr/home/mysite/catalog/automatic/review_mail.php.

Am I correct in assuming that if the CRON runs and there are no emails to send as there are no sales 14 ( my chosen number of days to allow deliveries abroad as well as in UK and time to use the products) days prior then I will get a mail sent saying sent 0 mails?

That is correct.

Is there anyway of adding a logo to the email?

It could be done, but you would need to send the email as HTML. You need to have your store's email settings set to HTML, then modify the template in automatic/review_mail.tpl to include the HTML tags. You should be aware that some old-fashioned types like me will be unable to see your fancy HTML, and may just see an unreadable mess. It's up to you whether the risk is worth the gain.

Regards

Jim

If you are referring to the setting for REVIEW_REMINDER_NEWSLETTER, that is correct.

That seems to be somewhat system dependent. Some servers will send the line when requested from your browser and some will not. If you got the email, everything is working, so you can ignore the part about seeing that line in your browser.

No, CRON needs the file path from the root, not the URL. You need something like /usr/home/mysite/catalog/automatic/review_mail.php.

That is correct.

It could be done, but you would need to send the email as HTML. You need to have your store's email settings set to HTML, then modify the template in automatic/review_mail.tpl to include the HTML tags. You should be aware that some old-fashioned types like me will be unable to see your fancy HTML, and may just see an unreadable mess. It's up to you whether the risk is worth the gain.

Regards

Jim

Thanks for all your help it has been invaluable

Thanks again, just need to work on the CRON bit

regards

Liz

Liz

I was referring to the setting in configuration where in the instructions you say to put 1 if it is just newsletter subscribers and I put 0. Is this correct?

regards

Liz

Liz

I was referring to the setting in configuration where in the instructions you say to put 1 if it is just newsletter subscribers and I put 0. Is this correct?

regards

Liz

Yes, that is the one I was referring to.

Regards

Jim

Yes, that is the one I was referring to.

Regards

Jim

Good I shall look forward to bearing the fruits of your efforts of creation and my efforts to follow instructions. Is there a way to tell when somebody leaves a review or do you need to keep checking by manually?

regards

Liz

Liz

Good I shall look forward to bearing the fruits of your efforts of creation and my efforts to follow instructions. Is there a way to tell when somebody leaves a review or do you need to keep checking by manually?

regards

Liz

I think you just need to check. I've always added the contribution that holds reviews until the admin approves them, so I'm not real certain of the normal behavior. You can always write yourself a review and find out.

Regards

Jim

I think you just need to check. I've always added the contribution that holds reviews until the admin approves them, so I'm not real certain of the normal behavior. You can always write yourself a review and find out.

Regards

Jim

Sorry to bother you again but which contribution is this one, it sounds like a good idea.

regards

Liz

Liz

Sorry to bother you again but which contribution is this one, it sounds like a good idea.

regards

Liz

I was afraid you'd ask that. I added it a long time ago, so I'm not entirely certain. I think it was Review Approval System. That should work in any case. It sends the Admin an email to approve every review, so you will know when somebody has left a review. It has the added advantage of allowing you to weed out spam.

Regards

Jim

I was afraid you'd ask that. I added it a long time ago, so I'm not entirely certain. I think it was Review Approval System. That should work in any case. It sends the Admin an email to approve every review, so you will know when somebody has left a review. It has the added advantage of allowing you to weed out spam.

Regards

Jim

OK I'll give it a whirl. Do you ever finish adding contributions and making your site the best you can with as many useful whistles and bells as possible?

You may hear more from me (I can hear the sigh!) as I think next I might add your get 1 free contribution I am wary about keep adding contributions cause I dont know what to do when code is already altered from the basic. I have a gift wrap contribution that is partly in but then in one section because of changes made the code was nothing like the instructions and I posted questions which didnt get answered so it has stayed half in half out! I am always afraid that I will do something terrible and then have to start rebuilding the site all over again and it has taken me so many hours to get this far.

regards

Liz

Liz

OK I'll give it a whirl. Do you ever finish adding contributions and making your site the best you can with as many useful whistles and bells as possible?

You may hear more from me (I can hear the sigh!) as I think next I might add your get 1 free contribution I am wary about keep adding contributions cause I dont know what to do when code is already altered from the basic. I have a gift wrap contribution that is partly in but then in one section because of changes made the code was nothing like the instructions and I posted questions which didnt get answered so it has stayed half in half out! I am always afraid that I will do something terrible and then have to start rebuilding the site all over again and it has taken me so many hours to get this far.

regards

Liz

There's an answer to your problems: backups! I can't emphasize this enough. Every time you want to add something, make a backup copy of your code before you start. Label your backup with the date, and add a text file or something to remember what you have done up to that point. I keep a spreadsheet with what I have added and when. If you get stuck, or you decide that something you added isn't what you want, just restore the previous backup. It's a bit more involved if you need to go back more than one version, but at least you have a basis for comparison if you do.

For adding a contribution to code that has already been changed, the only recourse is to learn a bit of PHP and SQL so you can recognize what needs to be changed. It's not all that hard to learn the syntax. Take a class, buy a book, or dive into the reference manual -- whichever way you learn best. I started where you are a few years back, when somebody asked me to build a web store for his business and recommended osCommerce. I had never seen the language before. A good bit of study later (and a fair amount of cursing) and now I write code that other people use. Yikes, I think I just scared myself....

Regards

Jim

Jim

Sorry to be a nuisance but still cant get CRON job to run automatically the last communication I had from the hosts said:-

You are using /bin/sh to call a php script. which is why you are getting these errors.

You need to use /usr/bin/php.

This makes no sense to me as I have not knowingly set anything so how do I change it? I have asked hosts and they are ignoring me at present. Is this something you can advise me on?

I almost forgot to say I have also installed the the Review Approval System!

regards

Liz

Edited by Measha06

Liz