• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Designing Browser and Resolution Compatibility

Hello All!

Yesterday, I asked for a critique of my soon to be launched upgrade (Thanks for the help!) and one of the problems that was brought to my attention was that the site looked awful when viewed at a resolution higher than 800X600. I am in the habit of checking for browser compatibility and I didn't think about the resolution at all. I have now gone back and fixed that , however I got to thinking about how many possible combinations of browser and resolution, there could be, whether they understand CSS, etc.....YIKES!!! I could spend the next year trying to make my design work in every combination.....

So, instead I did a little research and found this site:

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/Octob...ber/browser.php After looking at the statistics, I have decided to concentrate on the most popular combinations only, unless there is a "magic pill" that will make it easier. Any suggestions?

Use a simple JavaScript check.... you then have the browser resolution and adapt the header table with that. Then you add a <noscript> tag and have that spit out the default settings for 800x600 (most used).

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

By the way... I miss Opera, Lynx and Mozilla in that URL list you showed... my sites get quite a few visitors from those browsers (and others) too.

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Archived