• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Web root directory ? ( Godaddy+index.php)

kjamimate

Hi

I’m new to osCommerce and also PHP. I have successfully installed the shop and everything is working fine except that when I go to my domain I have to type www.mydomain.net/catalog/index.php to get to the home page. Can anyone help me with this problem? I have read another post but don’t understand 100%. Is it something I did during the installation or what? I’m hosting on godaddy (Linux) and index.html works fine with a test page if I go strait to my domain www.mydomian.net

Thanks

Balt

What you should have done was upload the contents of the catalog directory, instead of the catalog directory itself.

Never mind though, what you need to do now is move everything that is in catalog, into your document root. Then you have to edit includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php and remove any instance of "catalog". Lastly, you need to delete or re-name that index.html file that is in the root.

What you should have done was upload the contents of the catalog directory, instead of the catalog directory itself.

Never mind though, what you need to do now is move everything that is in catalog, into your document root. Then you have to edit includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php and remove any instance of "catalog". Lastly, you need to delete or re-name that index.html file that is in the root.

Great stuff. Thanks so much ,I struggled a bit with the “remove any instance of "catalog” part, but when I go to www.mydomain.net I get a distorted shop home page so that tells me that It’s working and I just stuffed up the code somewhere when trying to remove catalog from the configure.php files. I will reinstall and make sure that I upload the catalog files directly in the root

Thanks again you have been a great help.

Balt

Great stuff. Thanks so much ,I struggled a bit with the “remove any instance of "catalog” part, but when I go to www.mydomain.net I get a distorted shop home page so that tells me that It’s working and I just stuffed up the code somewhere when trying to remove catalog from the configure.php files. I will reinstall and make sure that I upload the catalog files directly in the root

Thanks again you have been a great help.

Balt

No problem!

Being as it is a fresh install, you are just as well to start again.

Good luck!

No problem!

Being as it is a fresh install, you are just as well to start again.

Good luck!

Is there a way to edit the pages (home page and that) with minimum effort ( exept using Page editor?)

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "minimum effort". However you do it, you have to manually edit the code. The only time saving practice I can think of is to develop locally, on your own PC. That saves you having to upload every change you make, to see it. I do all my developing on a local WAMP server on one machine and XAMPP on another.

I'm not sure what you mean by "minimum effort". However you do it, you have to manually edit the code. The only time saving practice I can think of is to develop locally, on your own PC. That saves you having to upload every change you make, to see it. I do all my developing on a local WAMP server on one machine and XAMPP on another.

Same here, but the editor I use "HTML-Kit" enables you to view local and remote folders in a file pane and handles all the FTPing from within the editor (you can also preview within the editor). It's the best editor I've found so far. I also run it via Wine in Ubuntu, as I have yet to find a comparable Linux editor (the HTML-Kit guys are currently working on the port to Linux)

If I'm editin a whole bunch of files, though, I'll still use an FTP for uploading batches of files.

Porpoises are most happy when wet!

\ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _

Hi

I’m new to osCommerce and also PHP. I have successfully installed the shop and everything is working fine except that when I go to my domain I have to type www.mydomain.net/catalog/index.php to get to the home page. Can anyone help me with this problem? I have read another post but don’t understand 100%. Is it something I did during the installation or what? I’m hosting on godaddy (Linux) and index.html works fine with a test page if I go strait to my domain www.mydomian.net

Thanks

Balt

HI Balt,

I have been trying to install oscommerce for the last 5 days... without any luck.. :angry: I also have got a godaddy account & would be very, very grateful if you could inform of the steps you have taken to get this working. FYI: I get following message: Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete. I just don't know what I do wrong. I have followed all instructions but it does not let me install anything.

Your help is very much appreciated! :'(

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem and am now having to reinstall to put it right.

This is a result of the installation instructions not being specific. The intstructions say

Upload the catalog folder which includes the admin folder to your document root

whereas they should add

If you wish your store to appear on the main index page of your site, Upload the CONTENTS OF the catalog folder which includes the admin folder to your document root

Archived