• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

permissons error when trying to update product!

adrian75

Hello, All, Here I am again: now i get the following error when trying to update product: "You don't have permission to access /catalog/admin/categories.php..." it's weird cause it seems to be happening on my Explorer (version 5.2); I use Macintosh. It does work just fine on safari and Firefox, so really wasnt expecting that at all. Permissions on that file are 644, so not really sure what's going on; shoild it be set to 664? 444?? and why only on Explorer? maybe too old of a browser? us on mac side dont have too many options with Microsoft!

well, any replies welcomed...

Hi adrian,

644 is the standard permission for web files (755 for directories). You should also check to see that the owner and group check out OK (you should be the owner, and the group www).

...Beyond that? Well, honestly, as a fellow Mac user, I don't target IE/Mac. It's a dead browser, and almost nobody uses it anymore. Its share shrinks every day. I also don't target IE 5/Win, since its share is small enough not to justify the (huge!) effort in supporting it.

The process of cross-browser development that I've adopted (and seen advocated by others) is thus:

1) Write to the standards

2) Work around the few idiosyncrasies between Gecko, Webkit, and Opera, and

3) Fix the site so it works in the cursed, cursed 50-60%+ market-share holder (IE 6) and the less-cursed second place (IE7, at 20-30%).

...And for heaven's sake, don't tear your hair out over anything more than three years old (with the obvious exception of IE 6). See "To Hell with Bad Browsers", a good piece of advice that dates back nearly seven years (!).

I say not to you, "backup your files before you change them." I say, rather, "use Subversion, and never worry about ruining your files again."

Hi adrian,

644 is the standard permission for web files (755 for directories). You should also check to see that the owner and group check out OK (you should be the owner, and the group www).

...Beyond that? Well, honestly, as a fellow Mac user, I don't target IE/Mac. It's a dead browser, and almost nobody uses it anymore. Its share shrinks every day. I also don't target IE 5/Win, since its share is small enough not to justify the (huge!) effort in supporting it.

The process of cross-browser development that I've adopted (and seen advocated by others) is thus:

1) Write to the standards

2) Work around the few idiosyncrasies between Gecko, Webkit, and Opera, and

3) Fix the site so it works in the cursed, cursed 50-60%+ market-share holder (IE 6) and the less-cursed second place (IE7, at 20-30%).

...And for heaven's sake, don't tear your hair out over anything more than three years old (with the obvious exception of IE 6). See "To Hell with Bad Browsers", a good piece of advice that dates back nearly seven years (!).

Well, believe me, I hear you! thing is OLD-MIGHTY-MICROSOFT decided to pull the plug on further developement-support on Explorer-for-Macintosh (stopped at 5.2), so all of us on Mac side are stuck with having to mess with that old piece software, or go back and forth and test on PC machines that have newer vresions to see how things look... not an ideal world; i guess Goliath does have the final world after all! thanks for your feedback though, I already tried changing permission settings but nothing!

anybody else??

Well, believe me, I hear you! thing is OLD-MIGHTY-MICROSOFT decided to pull the plug on further developement-support on Explorer-for-Macintosh (stopped at 5.2), so all of us on Mac side are stuck with having to mess with that old piece software, or go back and forth and test on PC machines that have newer vresions to see how things look... not an ideal world; i guess Goliath does have the final world after all! thanks for your feedback though, I already tried changing permission settings but nothing!

anybody else??

I'm not sure if I'm reading that right, but I think you're saying that you're using IE5/Mac to assure compatibility with all versions of IE/Win? You should know that the Mac versions of IE used completely different rendering engines than their Windows brethren, and there is absolutely no reason to think that a site that works in IE 5/Mac will work in IE 6/Win.

If you can't upgrade to an Intel Mac (I can't either but am saving up), you should really consider dropping a few hundred dollars on a cheap (or even used) Windows PC. As a cost of doing business it's a pittance, and will assure that you're compatible with the majority of the web browsing public.

Again, as one Mac user to another this situation stinks, but it's the way life is for web developers at the moment.

I say not to you, "backup your files before you change them." I say, rather, "use Subversion, and never worry about ruining your files again."

Hello, All, Here I am again: now i get the following error when trying to update product: "You don't have permission to access /catalog/admin/categories.php..." it's weird cause it seems to be happening on my Explorer (version 5.2); I use Macintosh.

I recall that you cannot use IE on the Mac for secure sites/https connections. Perhaps you use a https connection for your admin?

no, I used regular shared hosting, dont recall having this kind of issue ever before, where admin-updates to files can be made just fine in other browsers (as I said Safari and Firefox work just fine) but only Explorer gives me this strange error... really odd. I keep thinking maybe cause is such an old browser, but being server code, dont see the reason why??? but since i dont have any PC's around to test on, kind of stuck to viewing results on my Mac's Explorer. I guess, like Ryos suggests, i should just break down and buy me a cheap-ass PC and view stuff there... maybe someday people will gradually come to realize what piece of junk Explorer is, specially in how late they were (and are) at integrating full and reliable CSS support.. but oh, well, that's another fight

latest on this, had a friend "update" a product on her PC's Explorer and worked just fine.. so, who knows why the hell it's doing that on my Mac-Explorer... but at least seems OK on newer versions or PC side anyways...

thanks to all for feedback!

Archived