• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is it worth a try?

zuz

Hi,

I need a shopping cart for my page, I'm not familiar with php language, would it be easy for me to use OS Commerce or does it still require some basic knowledge of php?? I really like that OS Commerce has the Canada Post shipping module...

I'm fed up trying other cart scripts, they all require some php knowledge, can anyone recommend anything?

thanks

I wouldn't say you need PHP knowledge to alter or change anything with osCommerce. But if you do want to change the look, layout, etc... you'll have to be willing to look over code, comment out, add code, etc... It is fairly easy as long as you have a program or two to utilize. I am using Dreamweaver (for file editing) and WinMerge (for file comparison). In the contributions section you can find almost anything you need to change or add to your site. The contributions come with, for the most part, detailed instructions as to what code gets added or replaced in what files.

So as mentioned above, as long as you are willing to read, no problems. :thumbsup:

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Hi,

I need a shopping cart for my page, I'm not familiar with php language, would it be easy for me to use OS Commerce or does it still require some basic knowledge of php?? I really like that OS Commerce has the Canada Post shipping module...

I'm fed up trying other cart scripts, they all require some php knowledge, can anyone recommend anything?

thanks

OSC does require some php knowledge when you want to install an add in that requires php files to be edited. Most add ins come with good instructions, and there is support on the forum. Since OSC is free, what do you have to loose?

I gotta say, as far as customization OSCommerce has been one of the best; as some mentioned here, a quick read thru documentation will get you going pretty smooth; found the simple css and separate html files easy enough to modify; there are some things here and there that you'll need to be careful with... but as long as you can tell where PHP code comes from and goes to, becomes common sense after a while... there are other carts you might wanna look into which i found very good: Avactis.com (which is also free!), and cubecart.com also pretty good (though customization was a bit confusing, found OSCommerce easier; granted, i try to see if i can customize any of these carts without much reading to test common-sense structure of it, and if then requires me to read and read things over to get simple things done, then I discard it..)

OSCommerce and Avactis are my final two choices i think.. Avactis seems to have a goood/simple, easy to follow admin and customization, but there is one thing i havent figured out yet which is that like most carts it requires customer to register.. so still waiting on reply from their forum and support on this (as well as the fact that seems one has to upload a different image/of different sizes to go into each "thumb" and "big" picture of products.. which is cumbersome.. in OSCommerce you upload just the 1 pict and it automacticaly gets resized to account for both; but otherwise foudn it verey elegantly done with seems like all bells and whistles... good luck!

Archived