• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Question about international orders

bzboy

Hello...I currently have my site up and only take US orders....I just got an email from a person in claiming to be in Indonesia asking if I can take an order over the phone or through email...He said he would email me the credit card info...This kinda seems fishy to me... Just out of curiosity what would happen if I allowed a credit card purchase for international orders over the phone (took credit card info over phone), and say it turned out later to be fraudulent after the items were shipped? Would I have to eat the charge? or would the persons credit card company eat the charge? I am going to have to pass on this offer but I wanted to know for future orders

thank you

Hello...I currently have my site up and only take US orders....I just got an email from a person in claiming to be in Indonesia asking if I can take an order over the phone or through email...He said he would email me the credit card info...This kinda seems fishy to me... Just out of curiosity what would happen if I allowed a credit card purchase for international orders over the phone (took credit card info over phone), and say it turned out later to be fraudulent after the items were shipped? Would I have to eat the charge? or would the persons credit card company eat the charge? I am going to have to pass on this offer but I wanted to know for future orders

thank you

Let me start out by saying I have never had a legit order from Indonesia.

That said, if a fraudulent purchase is made, the card owner can file a chargeback. It is then up to the merchant to prove they DELIVERED the items purchased to the card owner. If you cannot, then the CC company takes the money back out of your account and gives to card owner.

And just in case it was not clear; even if a legit order is processed and you have no proof the items were delivered, you can still suffer a chargeback.

Tim

you will always eat the charge, unless you can really prove you delivered the goods, but even that doesn't matter if the card is stolen

Be careful

and like Tim said, very few if any legit orders come from that part of the world

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

you will always eat the charge, unless you can really prove you delivered the goods, but even that doesn't matter if the card is stolen

Be careful

and like Tim said, very few if any legit orders come from that part of the world

To both of you: Thank you, thats exactly the answer I thought Id get.... Like I said in the post it definitely seemed fishy and I had a feeling that in the end, it would come back to me....Thanks for confirming my suspisions

Im not even going to email the guy back...

thanks again

Archived