• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding an additional shipping 'Table Rate' module

Broadsword

Hi,

I have set up the Table Rate shipping module but want to add another identicle module so that i can use alternitive text for a different shipping method.

Basically i currently have it set so any item(s) of 1.99kg or less will cost £3.50 via Royal Mail. The fact that it will be sent by Royal Mail is stated.

I want to add an aditional carrier for items that will be sent 2kg and over - and to be able to again state what carrier will be used.

The only way i can think of is to install an additional Table Rate module. But can someone please tell me where i would find this and how it would need to be done?

Also, am i correct in thinking this is the way around the problem i have? Or is there an easier solution that i can't see?

Thanks

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

Thanks. That's great. Have installed and it does do KIND OF what i want. Although i can now indicate the method of shipping for each type of method - i also want it to only show the shipping type that can be used.

So up to 2kg will only show Royal Mail, and from 2.1kg upwards it will only show UPS. I don't want the customer to be able to choose.

At the moment the customer is able to choose between the two when there is only 1 item weighing 1kg is in the shopping cart. Above 2kg only the one correct method shows.

Is this something i can do by tweaking the code somehow, or is it not possible?

Thanks again.

so... what i'd like to define is a 'from' weight to charge from, rather than 'up to' a certain weight charge x amount.

Am i asking too much?!!! I'm sure there must be a way of doing this.

Hope i've been clear with what i'm trying to achieve.

Confused why you need a mod at all....

Why not simply use one table rate and then state in your shipping page how the item will be sent if you want the customer to know?

Because with the original Table Rate module you cannot add additional text which would specify a different carrier for a different shipping rate. You can only say it will ship by 'Royal Mail' for example. ... unless i've missed something.

What i have is 2 seperate shipping charges by 2 different carriers - and want to make it clear to the customer which carrier their order will be sent with. So - for example - if they choose an item weighing 1kg it will state that it will ship by Royal Mail and cost £3, or if their order is 2kg or more it will state their order will ship UPS and cost £5 - without giving them the option to choose, as the carrier is determined by the weight.

It looks more professional, i think.

Anyway, the link supplied by rabbitseffort works great. All i need now is to know how to specify a 'from' weight rather than the 'up to' weight.

cheers.

I am currently working on a site for a client that will ship products based on carriers, one product will use UPS while another product will use USPS but at checkout only one shipping value will show with the correct total from both shipping fees.

The code is not done but this may be something you would want. PM me so when it is done I can remember to let you know if it too custom to share or not, it may not be a plug and play for other osc sites since the checkout process is already heavily customized beyond regular osc abilities.

This is a very custom application that I do not think has been contributed yet

there are mods available like, shipping per product that might work for your needs, I am playing with seeing if I can incorporate one of the existing application with what I need to happen

HTH

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

Because with the original Table Rate module you cannot add additional text which would specify a different carrier for a different shipping rate. You can only say it will ship by 'Royal Mail' for example. ... unless i've missed something.

Sorry just trying to save you some work :( If it aint broke why fix it lol.

Table rate will change charge according to weight and of course you can change the text to just say orders over 2kg will be shipped by blah blah blah.

yoursite.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/checkout_shipping.php define('TEXT_ENTER_SHIPPING_INFORMATION',

And change module title to something more generic.

yoursite.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/

Sorry just trying to save you some work sad.gif If it aint broke why fix it lol.

Table rate will change charge according to weight and of course you can change the text to just say orders over 2kg will be shipped by blah blah blah.

yoursite.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/checkout_shipping.php define('TEXT_ENTER_SHIPPING_INFORMATION',

And change module title to something more generic.

yoursite.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/

that isn't going to solve his problem, he needs only the appropriate shipping method to show up, not all the options, that only adds confusion to the customer and allows the wrong option to be selected by the customer.

---Margaret Mead---

--Ken Kesey"

that isn't going to solve his problem, he needs only the appropriate shipping method to show up, not all the options, that only adds confusion to the customer and allows the wrong option to be selected by the customer.

Sorry I must have misunderstood....

if they choose an item weighing 1kg it will state that it will ship by Royal Mail and cost £3, or if their order is 2kg or more it will state their order will ship UPS and cost £5

So I thought he only wanted two rates and so assumed one table rate would achieve this simply. I must have done too much computer work today :lol:

no worries, just wanted to point that out so no one would think that was the answer and rip their hair out trying to see wht it wasn't

Be well~~

---Margaret Mead---

--Ken Kesey"

you may also consider this one: HERE

or this one, or all of them in conjunction with each other: HERE

there are lots

---Margaret Mead---

--Ken Kesey"

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I have set up the Table Rate shipping module but want to add another identicle module so that i can use alternitive text for a different shipping method.

Basically i currently have it set so any item(s) of 1.99kg or less will cost £3.50 via Royal Mail. The fact that it will be sent by Royal Mail is stated.

I want to add an aditional carrier for items that will be sent 2kg and over - and to be able to again state what carrier will be used.

The only way i can think of is to install an additional Table Rate module. But can someone please tell me where i would find this and how it would need to be done?

Also, am i correct in thinking this is the way around the problem i have? Or is there an easier solution that i can't see?

Thanks

I have installed this contribution and it certainly seems exactly what i am looking for.

I just seem to having a problem when it comes to the module determining which shipping option to pick based on the weight of the items in the shopping cart.

I have two seperate shipping rates which are for two seperate carriers (£3 for Royal Mail and £6.50 for a courier service). These shipping rates are based on the weight of the item or items. All my items have a weight which i have specified in the Admin area.

I want items that are under 2 kg (so 199g or less) to be charged £3 and 2kg and over to be charged £6.50.

The problem i am having is that when i have 3 items in my cart that each weigh .50 of a kg - so thats 1.5 in total and under 1.99 the module defaults to the higher shpping rate.

Within Admin i have tried specifying the weight as ".50" and also as whole numbers such as 500 (for 500g, half a kg), and changed the figures in the module but it still doesnt work.

Can anyone put me straight on this as i just can't see how to sort this out - been looking at it for 3 days now!!

Thanks.

Archived