• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Why can't this be easier?

annispanties

I just want to have a basic, simple, easy to understand and impliment way of customizing my shop.

I've been up all nite and haven't found anything definitive.

Here's what I know:

1. If you change one thing you probably have to change it in a billion other places to get it to work right.

2. You''ll never get any help, so either do it yourself or forget it.

3. Someone with basic html and css skills might as well give up.

Please prove me wrong.

I've looked at other shops and I search thru the forum, but I can't figure out where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to change in order to get the probably very simple look I want.

I've searched for all of the following items and found nothing:

1. How to install mods to my store.

2. How to erase "Use keywords to find the product you are looking for." from my search on my site.

3. How to get my shopping cart out of it's box and into my navigation bar.

4. How to get "information" out of the box and into a footer type location; why are there boxes anyway?

5. How to put log in and create account into my navigation bar.

I want my shop to look basically exactly like americanapparel.net.

I understand there are a lot of people on here with a ton of problems and only so many people can help them, so thanks if you actually decide to even read this post.

here's what I have so far and it's really retarded and I don't understand a damn thing.

http://www.annispanties.com/comm

Hi:

I guess you won't find many answers here. I just started with this software and as you can see the answer in all posts are very few and are more related to errors or some very simple configuration.

I was looking also to change the main page and try to modify the layout and looks like there is nothing like html editor or add new pages with a particular format.

I found this link, which at least helps you to start up with some layout basics. You would need to know some html and css because I do not see how an html editor could help.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139426

If I start finding some answers I will post them

cheers.

I guess the basic problem is that to install and configure something as complex as a web-application like osCommerce does require at least SOME degree of knowledge of PHP/HTML/SQL. This forum isn't about teaching CODING 101, it's about helping people who have at least some understanding of what they are doing, to resolve issues/problems/errors/improvements to what they already have. If you don't understand PHP/HTML/SQL/CSS, then I don't think you should even be thinking about attempting to do this yourself.

I'm not a Porsche mechanic, so I wouldn't even think about trying to install an engine into a Porsche myself.

Generally, people here will help with specific issues but I doubt if anyone who is running a site(s) would have the time to hand-hold someone through the all the basic stuff involved in setting up the whole thing. :unsure:

Porpoises are most happy when wet!

\ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _

I'm going thru each suggestion, so far so good.

Is there any way to batch upload files. I'm using cpanel and I have to load each individual file seperately. very time consuming.

I will try to help you as much as I can. PHP is something you should take a glance at. Dreamweaver is also easy to set-up and use to modify the files. You mentioned that you have cpanel. You can set up osCommerce via cpanel through fantasico. This I find to be the easiest way to start. It will take a little time, but if you are willing, I would be happy to answer your questions. Contact me if you need assistance.

Do or Do Not, there is no try.

You install modsa by following the instructions included in the zip's...

you might want to start with this one, shopping cart in header doing a simple one first will help you learn...

Thanks, a bunch. I found that most mods come with a readme that explain how to install them, but some are still too complicated.

The porsche mechanic metephor is pretty right on. I feel completely inept, but I'm not incapable. I have been known to change my own oil from time to time. ;)

I felt exptremely frustrated when I wrote this, but I'm better now.

also, anyone know anything about batch loading files? *fingers crossed*

most text will be defined in your language file(s), box texts are in includes/languages/english.php and any other language you will use on your site

HTH

Keep your head up, learning is tough but very rewarding

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

I started with oscommerce about 2 years ago. I know nothing about html, css, php and mysql. I use dreamweaver to make my edits and upload them via smartftp to my server.

In the last couple of years I have looked at tons of code and whilst I couldn't right a piece of code to save my life I can now spot what piece of code does what and goes where. I also have a reasonable idea of how osc's file structure works. With this little knowledge I have installed many mods, done lots of my own little hacks.

Don't be put off by a lack of knowledge as you'll build that by getting down and dirty with the code.

BEFORE EDITING ANYTHING ENSURE YOU HAVE A BACKED UP ALL YOU FILES AND DATABASE FIRST (if you do and you probably will make mistakes then you just over right with the originals and mistake erased).

When installing mods print the read me file included as it's sometimes easier having a hard copy of the instructions when editing code instead of keep changing windows trying to keep up with what you are doing.

The best tip in the world for a newbie is to read the oscommerce documentation. There is tons of useful information in there.

Thanks, a bunch. I found that most mods come with a readme that explain how to install them, but some are still too complicated.

The porsche mechanic metephor is pretty right on. I feel completely inept, but I'm not incapable. I have been known to change my own oil from time to time. ;)

I felt exptremely frustrated when I wrote this, but I'm better now.

also, anyone know anything about batch loading files? *fingers crossed*

He he, it was all I could think of on the spur of the moment!

I felt the same way when I first started down the PHP path but, if you start with fairly simple stuff, you can fairly quickly progress to more complex stuff. Sometimes, it's not enough to just cut&paste code; sometimes you to have an idea what the code is actually doing so that you can spot typos and simple errors.

Nearly forgot the answer to the question! :-"

If you're running XP, you actually have FTP built-in. In Windows Explorer, go to My Network Places, > Add a network place > then follow the wizard to set up your website as a network place. Then you can drag&drop files&folders to your heart's content. If you open two Windows Explorer windows side by side, you can have your local tree open in one window and the remote tree open in the other - then you can drag&drop from one window to the other.

Porpoises are most happy when wet!

\ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _

Archived