• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Your experiences being picked up be search engines?

Brennie369

Hi, I was wondering if you've all had good experiences being picked up by search engines? I've recently instsalled osCommerce but am rethinking it because all my content pages are buried 4 layers deep in subfolders. I'm worried how this will be for search engines? Thanks

You need to install some basic SEO contributions, like the Header Tags Controller and Ultimate SEO, to begin to rank well. If your pages are four levels deep though, you should re-think how your site is setup since three levels is pushing it. If you can't reduce the levels, then install the google sitemap, dynamic sitemap and All Products with Images (all should be installed anyway). That will provide better access to the pages.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You need to install some basic SEO contributions, like the Header Tags Controller and Ultimate SEO, to begin to rank well. If your pages are four levels deep though, you should re-think how your site is setup since three levels is pushing it. If you can't reduce the levels, then install the google sitemap, dynamic sitemap and All Products with Images (all should be installed anyway). That will provide better access to the pages.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply. The content pages are four levels deep only because it's how osCommerce had them organized when it was installed & I didn't think I could move them to root level without messing up the code. And to clarify, by content pages & by 4-levels deep, I mean the ones that show my own added content that are stored in this path: /includes/languages/english/content_page.php. So can I actually safely move those to the root directory without messing up any code & delete a bunch of stuff I'm not using that came with osCommerce?

Those levels don't matter to the search engines. Only the actual links they travel matter. So if you have a page that only accessible by clicking on a link on the home page and then clicking on a link on that page and then clicking on a link on that page, it is four levels deep as far as the search engines are concerened.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Those levels don't matter to the search engines. Only the actual links they travel matter. So if you have a page that only accessible by clicking on a link on the home page and then clicking on a link on that page and then clicking on a link on that page, it is four levels deep as far as the search engines are concerened.

Jack

Oooooh-K I gotcha! That makes me feel better, thanks! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again :rolleyes:

I've recently installed Ultimate SEO URL's (that's what you meant by Ultimate SEO, right? It's the only one I found like that). But after I completed the install, I went to my site to test & got the error saying my global registers were off.

Before that I installed the SEO Simple Contribution, which had this added to my .htaccess file:

Options +FollowSymlinks

RewriteEngine on

rewritecond %{http_host} ^dingleberrycandleco.com [nc]

rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.dingleberrycandleco.com/$1 [r=301,nc]

Could that be causing the problem & if so how do I fix it? Are these two contribs clashing?

I've completely undone the Ultimate SEO URL install just so I could access my site until I can figure this out.

Thanks,

Brenda

Yes, I meant Ultimate SEO. I'm not familiar with SEO Simple but I doubt they can be ran at the same time. But the problem you had was probably due to something else. Maybe you overwrote the register globals setting in the htaccess file? You will need to enable that setting.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I have a big worry about this issue too, as my content pages don't seem to be being cached by Google.

www.chimerique.co.uk

probably because that url just goes to a front page .. then you have to click Enter to actually go to your oscommerce located here http://chimerique.co.uk/catalog/ .. you'd probably get google caching your pages if you point www.chimerique.co.uk to http://chimerique.co.uk/catalog/

Archived