• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback on my gift shoppe please

lilmiss2die4

Just like everyone else I am looking for some ways to improve my site.

I know the checkout needs some improvement but I am not sure where I should start. Any advice on what credit card service to use, would be great too.

I would like to start working on adding more products and advertising but I need to know that my site is ready. Thanks for any help in advance.

Kelly

http://just2cutegifts.com/

I know the checkout needs some improvement but I am not sure where I should start. Any advice on what credit card service to use, would be great too.

I would like to start working on adding more products and advertising but I need to know that my site is ready. Thanks for any help in advance.

Kelly

Looks nice.

You might look at your image sizes, they're not all the same - on the Russ Berrie Swing Cards page for example, they don't line up exactly.

Otherwise seems fine.

to be honest, i dont like it, a good design is really important, as a client i'll never take seriously a website designed like that, its too amateur, i understand that if ur just starting then may be u are on a tight budget but if thats the case, then just go to templatemonster.com u can buy a very nice, beautiful and professional oscommerce Gift store templates for less than $60, believe me u will have much more convertions with a better design.

a good design is also a sign of trust and quality, from a SEO point of view, u need unique and custom titles and metas for the categories pages, after that u nee to start building backlinks!

good luck.

SeoMaster

Thanks for the replys. I have looked at the templates....how does it work. I realize you download the template but can you then customize the colors and such? Are they easy to install if you already have made alot of changes and products?

I also don't think I know what you mean by unique and custom titles. The page title is the name of the product you are looking at (is that not right?). I have the Header Tags Controller contribution installed which has helped with keywords and titles but do you have other suggestions on how to make it better.

I also have Ultimate SEO contribution installed but I don't know how to use it, so I haven't bothered with it. Is there a place I can get instructions on how to use it?

Again thank you for any help.

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a template from template monster last week

First... it's not just a skin for a website it's the entire OSC intstall with the template built into the files.

I installed my template last week and have spent over 5 hrs trouble shooting parse and syntax errors.

If have a bunch of contributions already installed... you'll have to reinstall / port them to the new design.

Just thought I'd add my 2cents. When I bought a template i thought that was all i was getting but got an entire install instead... I had to port the 4 contribs i installed over to the new and took me about 4 -5 hrs to actually apply the template store.

Sammy

I don't agree with SeoMaster, I think your site looks good for the products you are selling.

I agree with Sammy, templates can cause you grief. I've only tried to load a couple of them and there were problems. To be fair, they were free templates. Possibly if you go to a decent company and purchase a template, then you don't have problems!

Back to your site! here are a few comments:

The "Our Pledge" section doesn't really say much - improve it or delete it!

I notice that the font in the boxes, that you are using, is Papyrus. This will only display if the user has that font on their computer. Your alternative font of Arial might make the site look naff. I would consider a few better alternatives.[That could be why SeoMaster doesn't like the site - he hasn't got Papyrus!]

I know nothing about US taxes, but is Illinois the only one that charges sales tax?

You are getting a minor error with your SSL. Every page comes up with "This page contains both secure and nonsecure items".

When I went through a test order, I was offered 7 different shipping methods! Is this too many? I have NO idea what they all mean! I chose the cheapest ($25), but on the checkout_confirmation it had changed to the dearest ($77)!

I'm not sure PayPal is working properly. On my site, when a buyer goes to PayPal, the name and address are transferred as well as the price. Possibly you need the IPN contribution?

Hope that helps!

Well the last 2 replys are great. I will change my font and change my shipping. I have the Paypal IPN Contribution installed but since I paid someone else to install, I am not sure that it is working. I thought paying someone to install my contributions would be my best option but has turned out that very few of them are working. When I say I am new to this, I am not even exaggerating. I have never bought anything on the internet. I have however been selling on Ebay since 2005. That's going great. I will work all weekend on these problems and will come back for more advice.

Have a good day.

Kelly

Kelly

I think the site suits what you are selling. One thing that was annoying was the colour that was used when a link was hovered on (not dark enough).

..... I will change my font and change my shipping. I have the Paypal IPN Contribution installed but since I paid someone else to install, I am not sure that it is working. ..............

Kelly

Don't change the font. As Leslie says, it suits the site. Try and find some better alternative fonts in case Papyrus isn't on your buyers' computers. The shipping needs a very serious look at.

I didn't notice whether PayPal was using the sandbox or was live. I never got the sandbox working properly on my site, but live PayPal worked fine.

Very quick glance:

From a branding perspective are you "Just 2 Cute Gifts" or "Just Too Cute Gifts" ? Decide and then be consistent.

Free shipping in States but do you ship elsewhere or not? Please tell me :)

You say the item is limited edition and numbered but for this to be of value to me I need to now a limited edition of how many otherwise useless?

Final suggestion is that for your market I would be far more descriptive of the products details and create a bit of a story!

best wishes,

crazy

• 2 weeks later...

I took a quick look and found that text it is too crampy.You need to put more space betwine and aligning of text it is importand.Pictures lookin good,but the text messing up everything.Just make a space and align.

I took a quick look and found that text it is too crampy.You need to put more space betwine and aligning of text it is importand.Pictures lookin good,but the text messing up everything.Just make a space and align.

I actually like the font, but the ONLY thing that makes the website look "unofficial" to me is the Banner. It looks like a little animated thing you find on myspace. I would maybe try to re-do it with the same style idea, but with a better program for graphic design. If you can get your hands on Illustrator and PhotoSHop you and upload that image and clean it up A LOT and make the overall look of your website a whole lot better.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Thanks again for all of your replys

Here are some changes I have made:

1.) Fixed shipping issues

2.) Created a new banner

3.) Created new buttons

4.) Added a shipping calculator

5.) Moved site to root directory

6.) Changed the hover color for links (darker)

7.) Added Next/Previous buttons

8.) Added Links Manager Contribution

I am also adding a Merchant account and should be installed by the end of the week

If I could please ask that you check my site again for problems or suggestions

As I would really like to start spending my time adding more products

Thanks again for everyones time

Kelly

Archived